new to fta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jct842

Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
being new to fta I am wondering if I will have a problem with computer comunications to a fta receiver because my computer runs linux instead of windows. I have not purchased any equipment as of yet. I have seen some have a usb port that a thumb drive can be inserted in to make a transfer. I am thinking this is the way to go. Is any out there using linux on there computers that have a working fta set up? Thanks john

The receivers do not communicate to a computer over the USB port.
They either load new firmware from a thumb drive, or . . .
... a few use the USB port to take a hard drive and save TV shows.
(and both usually let you save your satellite and transponder lists so you can back 'em up.)

I don't know of any stand alone receivers that have a live link to a computer other than a few with 10bT ethernet.
Those most likely run linux, anyway. :)

There are a few USB devices (search this forum for Twinhan Starbox, for example) that are just a tuner and do connect to a computer.
The computer acts as the rest of the receiver.
Those obviously can record your shows, but are generally more difficult to set up , tune up , and configure, for the first time.

As an alternative, join the DVB section of our forum, and look at PCI cards.
Those cards fit into a standard PC (running whatever OS you like), and act as a satellite tuner, again with your computer providing all the back-end processing.
The USB devices fall into the same category and will be found/discussed there, too.

Last edited:
What I meant was the usb port using a thumb drive to load the firm ware and updates etc. I use linux and will not be getting a windows computer. If I will be able to use what I have I will be getting a free to air receiver soon. john

updates

I'm running linux, have been since 2001, and for the rare times I've loaded firmware updates, no problems. Linux has similar progrs to unzip compressed files, which most firmware files are anyway.. if you can communicate thru the serial port on your computer, you can use the serial cable also. USB port, or serial, whichever you have. But for the most part, the need to update firmware is very infrequent.
I recently upgraded to 64bit athlon, and running SlamD64 linux, which is Slackware 12-recompiled for 64.....about a month now and havent had to update any files so I can't comment on the 64bit linuxes.
Legal software doesn't get changed that often, and the other kind we don't talk about or condone here as it's purpose is unlawful.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts