Status
Please reply by conversation.

belias21

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I'm new to the whole HD thing...

Currently, I have D*, but nothing in HD. I ordered the HR10-250 and they will be installing it and my new dish on Saturday (2/18). Since there are no HD locals on the sat in my area yet (Ft. Lauderdale), I am getting the off-air antenna. I have yet to see one of these in person, and the only pic of it on D*'s site is tiny and I can't really see anything. Does this antenna mount on the same bracket as the dish, or is it typically mounted separately? Also, is this something that can be installed in the attic instead? Does anyone have any pics of a standard D* 3LNB dish + OTA install? I am very curious- I live in an area with an HOA and they can be picky sometimes, so I am hoping to have the antenna mount on the same bracket.

The guys that installed my system this week wanted to put the OTA on a seperate pole. It was not the type that snapped onto the rim of the dish. It might be different for you. I told the installer not to do that part and to take it off the work order. I am going to figure out someting else on my own.

belias21 said:
I'm new to the whole HD thing...

Currently, I have D*, but nothing in HD. I ordered the HR10-250 and they will be installing it and my new dish on Saturday (2/18). Since there are no HD locals on the sat in my area yet (Ft. Lauderdale), I am getting the off-air antenna. I have yet to see one of these in person, and the only pic of it on D*'s site is tiny and I can't really see anything. Does this antenna mount on the same bracket as the dish, or is it typically mounted separately? Also, is this something that can be installed in the attic instead? Does anyone have any pics of a standard D* 3LNB dish + OTA install? I am very curious- I live in an area with an HOA and they can be picky sometimes, so I am hoping to have the antenna mount on the same bracket.

As poster by "projectorsrule" in a thread in the last 24 hrs, there is a direct FCC ruling on HOA and OTA ant on your house saying basically that you can put up any OTA ant up to 12 feet above you house. the HOA has ZERO say in this.:D

And unless you live VERY close to the transmitters the ANT D* will bring out is worthless. there are pictures in my sig below that show my answer to this!! I get 42 OTA digital channels out of 4 different DMA markets with this set up:up

Last edited:
Eric Goempel said:
And unless you live VERY close to the tramsmitters the ANT D* will bring out is worthless.

Sorry this is just not true. I live 28 miles from towers in the Dallas area and have no issues getting all of the local digital channels with a non powered Wineguard Sensar as pictured in the link above. Have it in my attic.

Tonedeaf said:
Sorry this is just not true. I live 28 miles from towers in the Dallas area and have no issues getting all of the local digital channels with a non powered Wineguard Sensar as pictured in the link above. Have it in my attic.

That is the ANT D* insalled for you? Here the install the deal that snaps to the dish! I am very happy to here that you are getting good reception with it. How well does it bring in stations 80 miles away?

Eric Goempel said:
That is the ANT D* insalled for you? Here the install the deal that snaps to the dish! I am very happy to here that you are getting good reception with it. How well does it bring in stations 80 miles away?
Yup, that is the one they installed for me. Few friends also got the same one installed. Have had HD a few years now and when I got my HD the antenna was free in my market. Did not need to pay the $49.95 for the antenna that most are paying now.

In my area, 80 miles away are all small markets so I have no need for additional OTA channels. Next closest OTA market that I would care about getting is close to 200 (Austin). :)

Well, I live right smack in between the Miami and West Palm Beach markets, so the major stations seem to be about 20-25 miles in either direction. Nothing good is further than that anyways.

The antennaweb site just confuses the crap out of me. It says I need a med directional w/pre-amp for my local FOX. Hope that corresponds to what I'm getting.

Tonedeaf- about how big (end-to-end) is that one you sent the link for? They don't have any specs on the site and it is hard to gauge by the picture

if you are in between then i would sugest a mast mounted ant that you can rotate to point to each city. I have to rotate 180 degrees to go from pittsburgh to cleveland

Well... The install is completed. I certainly did not get the one that you had mentioned. I got this ugly looking one that is made by Eagle that looks like a big drying rack that I would put my freshly baked cookies on. Regardless, it was mounted on the same bracket as the dish itself and the reception seems great. I guess I can get over the fact that it is ugly as sin as long as it works, right? I'm just waiting for my HOA to yell at me about it now. I need to go up and tidy the cables a bit, the installer was a little sloppy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an indoor one in case I catch flak for this one by my HOA?

You will be clean with the HOA. There is NOTHING the can do. You have the FCC on your side 100%!

I'm sure you're right, but out of sheer curiousity, which indoors are getting the best results these days? Do you know?

belias21 said:
I got this ugly looking one that is made by Eagle that looks like a big drying rack that I would put my freshly baked cookies on. Regardless, it was mounted on the same bracket as the dish itself and the reception seems great. I guess I can get over the fact that it is ugly as sin as long as it works, right?

A "bowtie" antenna is probably the best UHF antenna you can get. It's still what professionals use. Cable headends usually have lots of them. Back in the days before cable, they were everywhere. My parents and grandparents had them. Some old houses still have them rusting on the roof!

belias21 said:
I'm sure you're right, but out of sheer curiousity, which indoors are getting the best results these days? Do you know?
Zenith Silver Sensor and the new Winegard Sharpshooter are not bad, very directional though, so you'll have to get up and adjust if the towers are spread out. These are set top units. There are ones you can mount in the attic or your deck like the Winegard Squareshooter. Check the HD OTA board for more info. I'm sure you'll find something to fit your location. Good luck.--Ray

belias21 said:
Well... The install is completed. I certainly did not get the one that you had mentioned. I got this ugly looking one that is made by Eagle that looks like a big drying rack that I would put my freshly baked cookies on. Regardless, it was mounted on the same bracket as the dish itself and the reception seems great. I guess I can get over the fact that it is ugly as sin as long as it works, right? I'm just waiting for my HOA to yell at me about it now. I need to go up and tidy the cables a bit, the installer was a little sloppy.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an indoor one in case I catch flak for this one by my HOA?

You know you can get West Palm beach and Miami locals if you put both zips in you box.

I'd echo what Tonedeaf says about the Wineguard Sensar. I live 41 miles from the antenna farm here in Houston and have a powered Wineguard Sensar installed in my attic. We get all the Houston digital signals just fine except for the NBC affilliate
which tends to pixillate slightly under certain conditions. Most of the time it is very watcheable, just not as consistent as CBS,FOX and ABC.

The terrain here is very flat but we do live NE of Houston and have a lot of really tall pine trees in our area.

Tonedeaf said:

belias21 said:
Bowtie or Silver Sensor, if all your channels are UHF. If you have any VHFs, you may need a V/U combo antenna.

If your HOA tries to give you sh** about the dish or antenna, print the link below and give it to them:
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts