new to HDTV could use some help

Carl B said:
So you have already been to antennaweb. Blue is a medium directional antenna w/ a pre-amp. If you are mounting it in an attic, you probably need to up that to a large directional w/ a pre-amp.

You didn't say what the frequency assignment is of the stations you want to receive. If they are all UHF, then a lot of antennas would fill the bill as large directional antennas. For example, CM 4228, Winegard PR-8800, Antennas Direct DB-8, CM 4248, Winegard PR-9032, and Antennas Direct XG91. For a pre-amp, most prefer a CM 7775 or 7777. If you are mounting outside, there are medium level versions of most of the foregoing listing of antennas from those vendors.
For one close channel in the opposite direction, you may be able to pick up the signal w/ your antenna pointed at the others. Try it first before buying a rotor (not a good choice if you have or plan to get a DVR) or a second antenna and JoinTenna.

Ok all UHF.......will mount outside......by medium level versions do you mean about half the size???................................Solid Signal suggested this:Terrestrial Digital DB4 Multi-Directional HDTV Antenna
(DB4).......Also not going to be using long cable run only 20' total

I had great results with the Channel Master CM-4221. When I went up to the 4228, I still got good clear channels, but some of them started ghosting. The bigger antenna had more gain and was too directional. I am reverting back to the 4221. I also installed the Channel Master mast mounted amplifier. I don't think it is making much of a difference, so it may come off. The CM-4221 is one kick-ass good antenna. Small, cheap, and easy to put up, can't beat that. Joe

Bob Mcd said:
Ok all UHF.......will mount outside......by medium level versions do you mean about half the size???................................Solid Signal suggested this:Terrestrial Digital DB4 Multi-Directional HDTV Antenna
(DB4).......Also not going to be using long cable run only 20' total

The DB-4 is a medium version of Antennas Direct's DB-8. Your Rat Shack link didn't work, so I don't know what you are going to try. if it is the 40" Yagi, that is a small directioal antenna.

PIcked up a desktop a.c. powered/amplified HDTV digital tv antenna at Big Lots for $10 that is like a $40 RS one...hooked it up to the Accurian and it pulls in all the local HD stations, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, and a few indies...with a 70+ meter reading...that is virtually as good as Adelphia...

I had Adelphia HD and the HD channels would turn to a white screen, no sound every so often. I got them to replace my tuner and I still had drop outs while trying to watch HBO, or any other HD channel. I dropped Adelphia completely now, and have Dish, FTA, the Accurian, and straight VHF analog. All give me better service than Adelphia did. Can't beat that HDTV out of West Palm, it's the best. Joe in Jensen Beach

Carl B said:
The DB-4 is a medium version of Antennas Direct's DB-8. Your Rat Shack link didn't work, so I don't know what you are going to try. if it is the 40" Yagi, that is a small directioal antenna.

You are right Carl it's a 40" Yagi it picks up some Boston channels but not
all . Does a better job picking up Providence channels ............it worked for what I wanted ( Football Game in HD :D AWESOME). I'll have to get a bigger ant (will try Db-4) to pick up Boston channels , already ordered Cm7775 from solid signal. Could you tell me what other site I could use to compare prices. Thanks

Solid signal had just about the same price as other sites, but they had a better shipping cost, and they shipped very fast.
The yaggi antenna has a lot of gain, but is very narrow compared to the higher gain bow-tie models, like the CM-4228. The yaggi might need a rotator to be really useful, but this will all depend of how the transmitters are spaced out from your location. The CM-4228 is rated to 60 miles, and has about 15db of gain, plus it is wide enough to catch more channels that are spaced out. depending on the distance to the transmitters, I had better performance with the CM-4221. It has a little less gain and a wider signal path. Depending on how much signal boost you need, you might benefit from the Channel Master antenna mounted amplifier with FM blocking enabled. The FM block is switch selectable.
I agree, football is awesome to see in HD, and the Dolby Digital 5.1 sound doesn't hurt either. I am a LOST fan, also, Alias, and ABC does Prime Time HDTV right. My next favorite HD channel is PBS, they kick it up a notch in Prime Time, turing off their other two sub digital channels in favor of pushing the max to PBS-HD in Prime Time. Joe

I just picked up a $10 a.c. powered/amplified antenna at Big Lots that reads on the box Digital HDTV Ready, 25db gain, (looks like the one at RadShak for $30) and it pulls in all the West Palm Beach area stations great on my Accurian.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts