New to hobby have questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've been working in the RF field for many years and am an amateur radio operator as well... I still get the LO frequencies mixed up once in a while. Likely bad memory mostly, which LNBFs are on what dish or diseqc switch port. Just remember, standard is usually 11750, and universal is usually 9750/10600. C-band is 5150. There are others, like DSS (paid services) is usually 11250 but we don't use that much here.
You can cheat and shorten your scans when using a universal type LNBF by skipping the lower 10700 to 11700MHz by setting 22khz switch to "ON" and setting a standard LO of 10600 if you are scanning a satellite without transponders in that portion of the spectrum such as most sats over North America. Then it will scan between 11700 to 12700*. Most linear satellite TPs are within 11700 and 12200MHz in the Ku band.
* 12200 to 12700 is usually DSS, not many or no FTA channels in that frequency span, but most Universal LNBFs cover it too.

Reactions: MosFET77
Ok got equipment,and I believe I have the LNB aimed right at the dish and I have checked and rechecked the az and elevation but the only thing I get is my signal strength meter bouncing between 14% and 38% and the occasional 10% quality. When I try to blind scan Strength in mid 40s to 50s and no quality. I've tried nudging the dish up and left to right no changes. LNB is an avenger and the receiver is a X2 V1 Mini HD. I can't be that far off

Okay found my first problem the existing cable was bad replaced its and now have a solid 73 when not aimed at anything. Was hunting 103W by my compass. I did find something and ended up on Echostar 9 at 121.1W , so at least I know where in the sky I am now

Reactions: Lee60 and bpalone
I can't seem to lock on to anything but 119W and 121.1W. You would think I could atleast get 117, 115, or 113 just from eyeballing it along with the marks I made on the pole for the two I did get.

Not much on 117,115...
Go more toward the east and shoot for 95W and 97W. I am confident you will get those.

Reactions: FTA4PA
This may sound like a stupid question but does it matter what I set first or preferred way I've been setting elevation then AZ and finally shew? I have a tree that I need to get trimmed back blocks what I think is my LOS for 97W and east. But I'm hooked I may only get welcome to Dish Network and Your Receiver is tuned to 121W which was nice at least I didn't have to guess where I was. Now to find a larger Dish. I spotted one, looked to be a 3ft one, a gas station is being demoed wonder if I can find out who owns it. Maybe I should ride over there in the middle of the night and grab it

If the gas station is being demolished, you might just stop in ask the wrecking crew about the dish.

I rescued a 1.2m Channel Master with non-penetrating roof mount from a local gas station that was being torn down. Mostly think I asked the right person at the right time, it wasn't long after removing the dish and the building was gone - the end result was about 1 hour of my time and got an excellent quality 1.2m for free.

Maybe I should ride over there in the middle of the night and grab it
I don't know if I would do that, but if you ask, you have a good chance they will give it to you.

Set your skew first. If that is off even a little on an undersized dish, you will get nothing.

I don't know if I would do that, but if you ask, you have a good chance they will give it to you.

Set your skew first. If that is off even a little on an undersized dish, you will get nothing.
thanks for the tip, might be why I can only pick up DTV/Dish sate's they don't care about skew

Reactions: KE4EST
On 121w, if you pick up the your aimed at 121w channel, there should also be a car channel, Velocity TV and two Dish music channels ITC. I've had a Slimline aimed there for Velocity for years now.

Maybe use the 121w channel that you do get to adjust your lnbf for best Quality by adjusting the position of the lnbf, try moving it foward and back in its holder, its angle, etc.

If you can bring your receiver and a TV right out to the dish and watch the Q scale on the receiver as you adjust things it makes it much easier.

That's what I did a couple of days ago, but it was a bear. Only TVs I have are a 37in CRT and a 24in CRT. I forgot how heavy they can be, worked up a sweat that is for sure. Yeah I got Velocity been watching it pretty interesting shows and I'm not really into cars.

Reactions: . Raine
My sky is pretty limited here is a aerial picture of my yard and aprox position of the dish. Also how accurate is the line on the dish pointer?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170810_092715.jpeg
    Screenshot_20170810_092715.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 142
  • Screenshot_20170810_093837.png
    Screenshot_20170810_093837.png
    71.2 KB · Views: 137
At my location, I have found that the line is pretty close to being dead on. I will say that the image is a composite of several images, as the power poles cast a shadow one direction and the buildings cast a shadow another direction. (Just found it interesting.)

Took liberty of pretending to be at your location via dishpointer. Unless your neighbor's garage is considerably taller than I think it is, and you don't have branches hanging over your dish, you should be able to get 97W without any trouble. Remember that an offset dish is looking much higher in the sky than it looks like.

Patience is a virtue. At least that is what my mother used to tell me. A little movement is a large movement at 22,500 miles above the equator and your target is somewhere between a VW Bug and Chest Freezer in size. You are close, so keep at it. Might watch for a sale on small LCD TV or even check at Good Will store. I picked up a cheap 15" LCD just for taking out to the dish a few years ago. Another source is Garage Sales, but I don't take well to that type of shopping, but you may. Another thought, do you have friend that would loan you a smaller TV for a few hours/days?

Good luck and keep having fun with it.

Don't be afraid to shop the curb.My main puter monitor is a 22" HP LED,picked it up walking the dog one nite.Didn't have a power supply,found one in the junk box,plugged it in,works fine.
A few nites later picked up 2 small tvs,18"VIZIO LED and a Magnavox 18" LCD,no remotes but both work fine.

Just a update, I haven't had any luck pulling anything else in. I took my 24in CRT and receiver out to the dish (should've seen the people stare at me setting up a TV and lounge chair in the backyard.) I sat and fine tuned 121W the best I could get was 90% Strength 25% Quality. This was with me even moving the LNB (thanks to this place for where to start guessing where to test was exactly 2 3/8in on the arm). When I did try other birds strength would reach into low to mid 90's but no lock and 0 quality So I'm guessing between my yard and undersized dish I maybe stuck with just Velocity until I can get a larger dish or get this tree trimmed back.

When you're searching for another satellite, make sure that you have the receiver set onto a good transponder for that particular satellite.

Say for example, you're trying for 103w Ku, NHK would be good, it's transponder is 11942/V/20000, set that in the receiver as you try for 103w and watch the Q readings. If you don't have the receiver set on a good transponder for whatever sat you're aiming at, you'll get 0% quality reading almost all the time even if you're aimed right.

Can you post a picture of your lnb arm? 2 3/8" in on the arm seems a bit far in for the LNBF. I'll try and post up a picture of one of my Slimlines this weekend so you can see where I have my lnbf.

If you need a place to look up transponders, sathint.com is pretty easy to use and usually fairly up to date.

You've done well to lock 121w with a Slimline on your first try setting up a dish! The first dish I setup was a 30" Ku and it took me forever to lock onto something, finally after a few days I got channels in on 83w (those channels are gone for years now) and I had quite a hard time finding other satellites. Once I'd found a few, then it became much easier.

Reactions: bpalone and KE4EST
Try satbeams also that helped me also look at you longtiude and lat. To setup for home satellite at 83w long and 41.2 elevation.

I've been doing some more reading and if none of the things work, I may move the dish and mount on the roof. Well not on the actual roof, there is a slight wall I can attach it to and not poke holes in my buildup roof.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)