New to Hopper and Joey questions

wireman75

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
United States
In a few weeks I will be getting 2 Hopper with slings and 2 Joeys hooked up. I already have dish with a 612,625 and a 722. I understand the hook up of the Hoppers and Joeys but things like adding OTA tuners i'm not sure on a few things.

I know you connect the OTA tuner via one of the usb ports and you can then search for over the air signals will i need a OTA tuner for both Hoppers? and will the OTA signal also go to the Joey that is linked to the Hopper?

I know you can watch programs recorded from one hopper to another ( I can watch a program i recorded on the Hopper upstairs on the Hopper downstairs) But can I watch a recording on the Joey downstairs from the Hopper upstairs?

Sorry if these have been answer before from some reason the search doesn't seem to like me.

You can watch any of your recordings anywhere, it's just a matter of choosing which 'library' from a drop down in the dvr menu.

As far OTA, I am not sure, I have never hooked one up.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You would need an OTA Module for each Hopper, and the Joey should be able to view either Hopper's recordings as Dishman mentioned.

I am seeing if more information is available regarding the OTA being used on a Joey, however I am getting mixed answers so far.

Thanks for all the info I'll be very glad to get everything hooked up as my 612 is giveing me fits alot and the more i look at what the hopper can do the more i like it.

I have the same set up as you are getting. I suggest you put a Joey in your main viewing room. The joey can be linked to either Hopper. This allows you to set and view the recordings for either Hopper from your main viewing room. If you have a Hopper in your main viewing room you can view DVR programs from either Hopper. However, you cannot set recordings or see what is to be recorded on the other Hopper. The same is true for EHDs connected to each Hopper. The Joey can see them all. Where a Hopper can only see the EHDs connected to it.

Joey will display a OTA channel, or mirror one if another box is tuned in to a channel. 1 Channel only at any given moment.

I run OTA direct to the TV set also because of this.

I also have OTA run directly to the TV through a splitter. You can't record off of that connection however, it's live TV.....

I have the same set up as you are getting. I suggest you put a Joey in your main viewing room. The joey can be linked to either Hopper. This allows you to set and view the recordings for either Hopper from your main viewing room. If you have a Hopper in your main viewing room you can view DVR programs from either Hopper. However, you cannot set recordings or see what is to be recorded on the other Hopper. The same is true for EHDs connected to each Hopper. The Joey can see them all. Where a Hopper can only see the EHDs connected to it.

I may have to have it hooked up this way so i can take full advantage of the 6 tuners. 1 week to go for the install. :D

Why does Dish not stock their own OTA modules? I had to do a Google search and buy it elsewhere.

You should be able to order them on our website, or an agent can place an order for you. The store online will only show what is compatible with your current setup. I just checked and the USB OTA Module should be in stock.

You know i have never really gotten into using PIP I know a lot of people love it i just never got on the bandwagon I guess

It's not something we use a lot but it is nice to have when you remember to use it. My wife likes to watch a show while having the Cardinals game on at the same time. It's perfect because a baseball game can get kind of long an boring so you can watch a show you like with the sound while still keeping an eye on the game. You really don't need any sound from the game in order to keep tabs on it.

You know i have never really gotten into using PIP I know a lot of people love it i just never got on the bandwagon I guess

I never used it either until I figured out a way to use it to avoid the incessant and highly redundant commercials on the majority channels these days. Now it's one of the reasons I keep Dish.