New to SWiM - how to get OTA antena signal to AM21? cable to multiswitch or to AM21 direct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mohoelx

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
mo
Current Uverse guy, seriously close to pulling the trigger on a return to D*. Looking at the Genie with 2 additional mini-genie clients, but want OTA channels. Reason is, when we had D* some 3 years back, when we would have bad storms, we lost our signal, and living in tornado country, that is NOT the time to loose access to current news!

I understand an AM21 will work with the Genie to pick up OTA and distribute to the clients just like any other channel, but the question I cannot find an answer to is this - does the feed from the antenna to the AM21 run point-to-point, or does it need to go to the SWiM multiswitch thing?

I am planning to pre-wire the house because 1) I HATE cables stapled to the outside of my house, and 2) the layout of our house makes for some "interesting" wire paths. I don't know exactly where they will put the dish since the previous location may be unusable due to neighbor's tree growing much larger. So I am planning to decide where I want the "hub" to be, based on ease of wire runs, and then we will just need the installer to run a cable from the dish to the "hub" location. Just trying to figure out if the antenna cable should terminate at the hub or the AM21 location....

Thanks!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The line for the AM21 goes directly from the antenna to the AM21.

So if I have a new install with a Genie, AM21, two Genie Mini Clients, and the "Cinema Connection Kit", all I would be looking at is single RG6 from dish location to a central location (where the multi-port device is located, and a single RG6 run from there to where each TV will live, and a single RG6 from my OTA antenna to where the AM21/Genie stack will sit. Correct?
Sat.png

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)