New to the board and have a question on HD Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

256HDfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Hey everybody,

I am new to the board. First off I want to say I have enjoyed reading your posts so far. I look forward to being a part of satelliteguys.us.

I am in an area that can't pick up locals over the air with an antennae. I am over 50 miles from the towers and in a mountainous area. What would happen if I called dish and told them i was "moving" to say New York or D.C. I already have a 211 as well as a 61.5 dish. I realize I would lose my "true" locals for where I am actually located. I also have cable, so I would still get my locals from them. Are any of the HD locals on spotbeam??If not this wouldn't seem to be a problem would it?? Other than just being unethical I guess?? It would be different if Dish would allow distant HD locals. Even then, you must get a waiver approved from your local stations right? Couldn't I keep my billing address the same as it is now? Just change my service address?? could I just tell them I was moving and going to take my dishes with me, that way a tech wouldn't have to come out?? Anyone have any experience doing this, or know anyone that has?? Thanks.

:)

moving on up, or in this case, over

but none of the HD locals are spot beamed so you'll have problems :)

oh and welcome and enjoy the site :welcome

BFG said:
:)

moving on up, or in this case, over

but none of the HD locals are spot beamed so you'll have problems :)

oh and welcome and enjoy the site :welcome

Did you mean to say "you'll have NO problems" Since they are not spotbeamed, I should be able to get the ones that are on the 61.5 right?? Does anyone know any negatives to doing this?? What would happen if they found out??

256HDfan said:
Hey everybody,

I am new to the board. First off I want to say I have enjoyed reading your posts so far. I look forward to being a part of satelliteguys.us.

I am in an area that can't pick up locals over the air with an antennae. I am over 50 miles from the towers and in a mountainous area. What would happen if I called dish and told them i was "moving" to say New York or D.C. I already have a 211 as well as a 61.5 dish. I realize I would lose my "true" locals for where I am actually located. I also have cable, so I would still get my locals from them. Are any of the HD locals on spotbeam??If not this wouldn't seem to be a problem would it?? Other than just being unethical I guess?? It would be different if Dish would allow distant HD locals. Even then, you must get a waiver approved from your local stations right? Couldn't I keep my billing address the same as it is now? Just change my service address?? could I just tell them I was moving and going to take my dishes with me, that way a tech wouldn't have to come out?? Anyone have any experience doing this, or know anyone that has?? Thanks.

You forgot to ask if it was legal to lie about your address.

Tower Guy said:
You forgot to ask if it was legal to lie about your address.

Well, I don't suppose it is legal to lie about your address. Basically what I am asking is what are the consequences of Dish discovering you lied about your address?? First off, how would they know?

No one seems to have much insight into this?? I notice a lot of views, but not many replies.

Locals

First off dish will want your new address in NY. You can't pull that out of your A#$#$#! Would you like to initiate a Dish Mover as you now have a new address. The best way to do it is to get setup with a NY address, not after the fact. It is Bullsh!t that you cannot pick the area you want anyway. It is the broadcasters that have the satellite world by the balls. Just imagine getting arrested for reading the new york times in Chicago. If the bastards though they could control that they would. Right now your local stations "OWN" you. You are there property and that will not change till they all the lobbying a-holes out of Washington!

Listing a different shipping address than your mailing address probably isn't illegal perse except when done for the purpose of receiving television channels that you're not qualified for.

Historically DBS has received some very heavy fines for providing signals to subs that wern't entitled to them, so they're not about to risk big $$ to pick up a few cents. It's possible they (Dish) figures their liabilty is removed when someone falsifies their address and therefore doesn't look any further.

However in the case of digital distants, there is some wording in SHVERA about satellite companies having to notify the affiliates within so many days of anyone receiving the distant signals.

Technically, you could just come up with some address for where you are wanting to "move" to and give that to Dish...Wouldn't they switch your locals to the "new" address?? And if HD locals are available at your "new" address, wouldn't they be on the guide automatically??

256HDfan said:
Technically, you could just come up with some address for where you are wanting to "move" to and give that to Dish...Wouldn't they switch your locals to the "new" address?? And if HD locals are available at your "new" address, wouldn't they be on the guide automatically??

So where do they ship your receivers to and where does the installer go?

Not that I've done this personally, but I have seen 3 people do it already. Its not that hard. You keep your billing address the same and tell the CSR that you moved and have already installed all of your equipment yourself and are just needing to change the local channels to the specified area. The only problem these guys had was that their linup was in pacific time zone and they are on the east coast!! That's why I would never do it. Damn, 24 would start at 11pm at night!!!!! Screw that. I guess now that there are HD's in practically every time zone, this could be resolved easily..

hamiltonjm said:
Not that I've done this personally, but I have seen 3 people do it already. Its not that hard. You keep your billing address the same and tell the CSR that you moved and have already installed all of your equipment yourself and are just needing to change the local channels to the specified area. The only problem these guys had was that their linup was in pacific time zone and they are on the east coast!! That's why I would never do it. Damn, 24 would start at 11pm at night!!!!! Screw that. I guess now that there are HD's in practically every time zone, this could be resolved easily..

Yes...you do it exactly how he said...Just tell them you have either already installed your dishes, or are going to do it yourself...you don't do this unless you already have existing service...already have the receivers...the only problem I see is if you have some sort of trouble down the road that you can't resolve yourself and have to call a tech out. I guess in that case you would need to "move" back home and then call the tech out and everything would be fine...After that, you could "move" back to wherever you moved to get the HD locals...Maybe I am missing something here.

And the phone line connection will give away your true location.

This is not a good idea.

rnesky said:
First off dish will want your new address in NY. You can't pull that out of your A#$#$#! Would you like to initiate a Dish Mover as you now have a new address. The best way to do it is to get setup with a NY address, not after the fact. It is Bullsh!t that you cannot pick the area you want anyway. It is the broadcasters that have the satellite world by the balls. Just imagine getting arrested for reading the new york times in Chicago. If the bastards though they could control that they would. Right now your local stations "OWN" you. You are there property and that will not change till they all the lobbying a-holes out of Washington!

It is perfectly legal to read the New York Times in Chicago.

It is not legal for someone to make a copy of the New York Times and sell it in Chicago.

styxfix said:
You would also lose your local sports on your RSN.

Not if you "move" to somewhere that the RSN would be the same. Say you only "move" 100 miles or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)