New to the forum, have a question about my 522.

Jmarks1998

Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
Hi this is my 1st post so please don't flame me right away. I recently purchased a Sony KDF50WE655 lcd projection tv. I work at Circuit City and go on deliveries and from time to time when we deliver a widescreen tv we setup the customers dvd player and dish receiver (DirecTV most of the time) to widescreen format. I looked and looked and looked in the menus of my DVR-522 and cannot find this option at all. Is it true there is no setting for this? Do any of the Dish Network boxes have this option? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, Jmarks1998! :)

I'm a little confused about what the widescreen format setting does on the dvd players & directv boxes. The 522 only shows 4:3 aspect ratio programming. So it isn't capable of outputting 16:9 or anamorphic or any other aspec ratio, nor does it need to. Isn't that a setting that needs to be set up on the TV? Maybe per-input?

Hi and welcome to SatelliteGuys.US!

The 522 is a Standard Definition reciever/DVR, and so there would be no need for 16:9 coming out of the back of the box. That is why you don't see component or DVI connections.

My DVD player, Zenith DVB-318 upconverts SD to 1080i with component and DVI outputs. This DVD player allows you to select output either aspect.

Your Sony has *WIDE SCREEN MODE* for watching 4:3 full screen. Most Hi-Def displays do this to avoid the distracting black/gray bars on left and right side.

I would use this option.

The Dish 921 and 811 High Definition Receivers allows you to select output aspect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)