**New to the Forums**

Bill3rdshift

Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
Hi everyone my name is Bill and I am new here. Satelliteguys fourm caught my attention due to the Bright House sub-forum. Very good info here and informative users etc.

I am a service tech for Bright House in South county Pinellas. I love working for them. They are truely an excellent company with terrific benefits, perks, and pay. I just got out of Service Tech training and I am out on my own solving problems daily. The job is alot of fun.

If I can be of help to anyone feel free to message or email me. My IM = Bill3rdshift

Also does anyone know of another BHN forum???

Thanks
-Bill

Hi Bill my name is Mark and I used to live in Largo, Florida which is part of the South Pinellas Bright House Networks area. I'm now in Derry, New Hampshire which is Comcast so just keep in mind I no longer live in a BHN area. I do agree that BHN techs (at least the employees as I don't know about the contractors) do get very decent pay and benefits. I do think you will enjoy the job but be ready to hate your job once you have to deal with a very picky pain in the behind retired old person. Trust me after having one of those people you would be willing to shoot yourself in the head to get away from these people.

As far as other forums that focus on Bright House Networks this forum your on along with www.tampahdtv.com are the only forums that cover BHN and have a decent amount of posts. AVSForum.com also has a local Tampa HDTV section which does have BHN talk but its so spread out I quit bothering with it anymore. It doesn't just cover BHN but OTA HD and every form of HDTV in Tampa. For some reason AVS hasn't created a seperate BHN HDTV forum like they do with other cities such as Boston Comcast HDTV.

So with all of that said I think most people needing help or reading from their local BHN area would come from this site and tampahdtv. Also welcome to SatGuys and as I'm a staff member here if you need any help finding something or using the features of this site please feel free to PM me or any Staff member and we will be glad to answer your questions.

Also SatGuys is a very relaxed forum so yes we like things to stay on topic but we do understand that things sometimes go off topic and we tend to allow alot of this as long as it doesn't get crazy or abusive. So I'm telling you we aren't mods nor a site that tends to be a pain in the behind and we believe this approach makes a website fun and enjoyable and not like a jail that is policed every second of the day.

Just be carefull what you do say with regards to BHN as we don't want you getting in trouble with BHN. Just remember its a very good chance that somebody from BHN and almost every company has someone in some form or another reading these forums. We also have another BHN tech on these forums who you might want to talk with but for the life of me I cannot remember his user name lol....urgh.

Yes I work at BHN in orlando Welcome bill!!! If you need any advice or help in your day to day work lemme know Im sure me or many others around can offer you some advice or help as you will for us.

sheesh, longhorn, that's who i was thinking about. didn't realize there was another member named steven.

speaking of steve's bird, he's been really quiet of late. not that i care since i went back to satellite, but what's going on?

sheesh, longhorn, that's who i was thinking about. didn't realize there was another member named steven.

speaking of steve's bird, he's been really quiet of late. not that i care since i went back to satellite, but what's going on?

SATELLITE??!?#!@? im never talking to you again!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ;)

yes, steve, satellite.......although, i still have road runner!

i'm enjoying espn2hd, soon i'll be watching the marlins in hd, and the nfl network in hd.

it boiled down to the fact.....i eat, sleep and breathe sports in hi-def and i couldn't get that from bh. it's not a knock on your company. i've had nothing but very positive experiences.

Ok Bill I have a question, I just switched from Dishnetwork to BHN. I was getting my local HD's OTA. I now have BHN locals in HD but it does not seem like true HD. The channels do not even fill my screen. There is still bars on the sides. Is this normal for BHN? If so, that sucks. Tell me I have a wrong setting please!

yes, steve, satellite.......although, i still have road runner!

i'm enjoying espn2hd, soon i'll be watching the marlins in hd, and the nfl network in hd.

it boiled down to the fact.....i eat, sleep and breathe sports in hi-def and i couldn't get that from bh. it's not a knock on your company. i've had nothing but very positive experiences.

im just messing with you dear. Everyone has to choose whats "best for them" I dont knock dish nor any other tv provider, choice is great :)

Ok Bill I have a question, I just switched from Dishnetwork to BHN. I was getting my local HD's OTA. I now have BHN locals in HD but it does not seem like true HD. The channels do not even fill my screen. There is still bars on the sides. Is this normal for BHN? If so, that sucks. Tell me I have a wrong setting please!

Do you have the HD boxed plugge dinto the componet spot of the TV? Sounds to me your watching HD channels on STD inputs of the tv. Perhaps the guy didnt set it up right on your tv... it should be full screen..

Well it is weird, now I am getting things like American Idol, according to JIm in HD but was not getting local news and national news in HD. When I had an OTA antenna hooked up I did, but now with BHN no, just digital.

Well it is weird, now I am getting things like American Idol, according to JIm in HD but was not getting local news and national news in HD. When I had an OTA antenna hooked up I did, but now with BHN no, just digital.

Dude...u gotta understand that not everything is in HD. American Idol is filmed in HD so are shows like Jericho, Lost, 24, Prison Break, etc. There's only one news channel that is broadcast in HD it's the Eyewitness News on ABC 1090. Even when u had sat or w/e they had same stuff because if the show isn't filmed in HD it will have bars on the side. So for example I'm watching American Idol and it's HD 1135 FOX (full screen) after it ends the fox 35 news comes on...now they don't film in HD so u would have bars. You might have a different channels lineup so i might not be 100% on the ch numbers

You have a # button on the remote, under the 9 try hitting that a few times and it will change the aspect ratio. You can either have Normal, Zoom, or Stretch. I usually do stretch. If the # button doesn't work press the CBL button on top and try # again

Another thing is... if you have bars on any channels other than the ones in the 1000s (chs 3-200) your box isn't setup to stretch digital channels automatically. Press settings, then the yellow triangle for more settings, then go down to aspect ratio and press the right arrow, go up or down till Widescreen (16:9) is highlighted and press the right arrow, then go up or down till you highlight Stretch 4:3 Picture, Press select, press exit.

i thought the only local news in hd was on channel 9. as for national, i thought i read brian williams was going hd sometime this year. not sure how you would have gotten anything ota, unless it wasn't from central florida.

steve, i'm messing with you back!!

i thought the only local news in hd was on channel 9. as for national, i thought i read brian williams was going hd sometime this year. not sure how you would have gotten anything ota, unless it wasn't from central florida.

steve, i'm messing with you back!!

channel 9 is 1090 on HD just fyi, channel 6 is 1060 theirs a pattern :)

Ok, I guess I am a moron. Sorry, the digital PQ is better OTA than cable so I guess maybe I thought I was seeing it in HD. Maybe the E* box was auto stretching digital feeds I don't know. But thanks for helping me understand it a little better. One thing I did notice is the PQ of the Fox Soccer Channel while not in HD is much better on BHN than on E*.

Is there a way to change the way the program guide is displayed?

Ok, I guess I am a moron. Sorry, the digital PQ is better OTA than cable so I guess maybe I thought I was seeing it in HD. Maybe the E* box was auto stretching digital feeds I don't know. But thanks for helping me understand it a little better. One thing I did notice is the PQ of the Fox Soccer Channel while not in HD is much better on BHN than on E*.

Is there a way to change the way the program guide is displayed?

How is it displayed not i dont understand. When you hit guide it should make a small picture in the top right so you can watch your tv channel still and view the guide..

On dish you could make the font smaller and show larger time blocks if you preferred. This way you could get more information out of one screen shot.

So the announcement today of Direct getting MLB..... That just pisses me off to no end!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)