New to the HD some questions

Briant73

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Pennsylvania
I have been a Dish customer for years since my first 4900 unit (awesome unit very bug free for my use), to the 508, and then the 625. Well the other day my first HD set was delivered (Sharp Lc46d64u) and I decied to take the plunge and get Dish HD. Partly because Dish SD looks horrible on sporting events so far and partly because I want better picture quality.

So come Monday I have a 722 coming to be installed. What should I know beforehand? I read some threads saying component is better than HDMI is this actually true? I of course will browse previous threads but already have some questions.

What settings should I set on the 722 out of the box? And what HD channels show it off the best for calibration?

Thanks to everyone, off to read some threads to see what others have said.

I've been using hdmi since I got my plasma tv in March. After listening to others about the quality of component, I tried it Monday.
I could not see any difference. Both looked great to me for HD, but neither was all that good for SD. I am on a 622 however. Don't have a clue if that matters or not.

I would try to have handy a set of component cables, an HDMI cable, a toslink cable, an external antenna with cable (if you plan to use this), and regular RCA audio cables to test the thing with. Eventually you will decide what hookup works best or is most convenient for you, but test the 722 every-which-way while the installer is there to immediately replace it (or he can report the problem). You don't want to test it only with component, then decide you want to try HDMI two weeks later, and find your HDMI jack doesn't work.

Also, make sure the installer sets up both your new remotes, unless you are familiar with the remote-code setup (it's easy, but why not make the installer do it?)

My 722 came with an HDMI->DVI cable and a short DVI->HDMI adapter. Doesn't throwing DVI in the middle negate HDMI's ability to pass digital audio? That's a question, not a statement. I used my own HDMI cable for testing instead (keeping the Dish-supplied one as a spare, for whatever reason). The 722 did not come with a toslink cable, so if you want to test digital audio via this route you'll want to have your own.

If you need anything for your own later setup, it doesn't hurt to ask the installer if he'll give it to you. I obtained a mess of RG6 cable, a few splitters, cable mounting clamps/screws, a grounding block, grounding wire, etc. just by asking (and giving a good tip to the guy later). YMMV - my install was an HD upgrade to an existing SD one, so a lot of the stuff normally needed for an install wasn't required. Maybe that's why he gave it to me for free, of maybe he was just a nice guy. Or maybe he appreciated my help - setting up my ladders for him so he didn't have to pull his off the truck, giving him my drill when he found he had left his at the last jobsite, helping him buzz the cables to see what went where, etc.

Ok got my 722, hooked up with a Dish supplied hdmi-dvi-hdmi cable setup.

My tv is a 1080p set. The installer recommended 720p but was wondering if 1080i is better or 720p. Any thoughts?

It has been reported by several people that component looks better than HDMI, I have a 37In Sharp Aquos and the picture is much sharper with component than HDMI with a 722. I suggest you try both and see which one looks better. 1080I is what I suggest.

It has been reported by several people that component looks better than HDMI, I have a 37In Sharp Aquos and the picture is much sharper with component than HDMI with a 722. I suggest you try both and see which one looks better. 1080I is what I suggest.

Sprint... Glad to see you back!!:)
You know what I mean.;)

I have been a Dish customer for years since my first 4900 unit (awesome unit very bug free for my use), to the 508, and then the 625. Well the other day my first HD set was delivered (Sharp Lc46d64u) and I decied to take the plunge and get Dish HD. Partly because Dish SD looks horrible on sporting events so far and partly because I want better picture quality.

So come Monday I have a 722 coming to be installed. What should I know beforehand? I read some threads saying component is better than HDMI is this actually true? I of course will browse previous threads but already have some questions.

What settings should I set on the 722 out of the box? And what HD channels show it off the best for calibration?

Thanks to everyone, off to read some threads to see what others have said.

Read and follow the "Do's & Don'ts":

Do's & Don'ts - HDTV Self Help

Stutter?

Ok thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Got my 722 and so far it's nice but notice a problem the has happened mostly on SD channels but sometimes on HD.

I'm watching and the video/audio goes in to a skip or slo mo mode, sometimes it's 1-2 seconds and others it goes on for 15 seconds or more. I beleive this is called stuttering. Anything I can do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)