New to the hobby

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm trying to get anything from this setup! I got a satellite meter today and hooked it up. I aimed the dish, followed the instructions for the meter where I set it at about 5, moved the dish until it hit 10, dialed it back to 5, etc.
I seemed to get a good signal with that so I unhooked it, hooked the receiver back directly to the lnb and went inside to fiddle with that stuff.
I can't get anything!

I *think* I'm on AMC3. At least that's what I was aiming for. I'm using a coolsat 6000 and I went in and went to the manual scan settings and set the frequency to 11736, symbol rate to 8333 (I'm assuming that's what the second number was on the transponder list on here), the polarization is at V. I have no quality still (well 1 -9%). The lnb is set to single 10750 (lnb is model DG780).
I'm going out to twist it and turn it now. Apart from that is there anything else I need to do (besides reaiming the dish)? Are there other settings I need to set or change?

Thanks!

if you think you're close do a blind scan...let it scan all and see what comes up. Then we know where you are in the arc :)

the quality or signal?

quality shows 64...that is the threshold for 99% of the channels up there...mainly the picture will pixelate. When you hit a signal the bars turn green

Sorry, strength is in the 60's or 70's. Quality is still nonexistent.

Signal Strength just shows that there is Power going to the LNB, Quality is what counts.
Make sure you have a Live Transponder selected in the Setup Menu when trying to find the Sat.

As I stated earlier, there were some little dings in the dish.
Judging by the fact that I was getting a signal with the meter, does that mean that the dish is still functional?

SpiffWilkie,

I had purchased a Digiwave 36" back in May with small dents and it had to be returned. See the discussion below.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ng-trouble-setting-up-system.html#post1373627

Yeah, I saw that thread. I'm hoping that's not the case with me. I'm assuming that since I'm getting a signal with the meter, that the dish is still good. If that's not the case, can somebody please correct me?

On a side note, I remembered today that I can use one of the screens from my portable DVD player as a monitor and take that and the receiver out with me to aim the dish. Unfortunately, I don't have a small length of RG6 cable. Would using a 5 or 6 foot section of RG59 cause issues with the signal, or should I just stick with the long section for the testing as well?

Thanks,
Steve

O.k. It's time for dinner but one more quick update (I don't know who will be happier when this dish get's set up, me or you guys ;)). I took everything outside and re-aligned the dish with the meter. I got it to the point where I couldn't squeeze one more bit of signal out of it. I moved it every which way I could a fraction of a millimeter and the meter went down, so I'm confident I have a strong signal where I am pointed. After dinner I'll run out and pop in some transponders and see if I can finally get a channel! Whew...

On a side note, can I use the receiver with the meter still in-line or do I need to remove it before I try to scan? (Of course I'll take it off when I finalize the install)

Thanks for the tip those portable DVD players what a fantastic idea for next time. We were able to get signals from circular birds because of the stronger signals but no signals from linear satellites.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)