New to the HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteban

Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Chi-town
I recently upgraded my system to the 5 LNB dish and the HR20 box. I also have OTA hooked up to the box. My question has anyone else had slow response from the tuner when changing between channels using the up channel/down channel button. It seems a lot slower than the HDTIVO.

Also, in tuning in to some channels the tuner will display wierd signals for a second or two before it displays the channel correctly. This may be more prevalent when switching between a "local" HD feed and other regular D* channels. Furthermore, sometimes when playing something from the playlist I will get that momentary glitch prior to the event playing.

Again, I have only had the box for a few days now and I am trying to determine if any of these observation are normal or not.

Yes its slow. With the latest software it is much better. It should have Downloaded the latest sofware,because there was a National release about 2 weeks ago.

Check out which version of the software you have. Its been slow in the past but its acknowledged by Directv and continues to be refined in later releases.

If you have Native turned on then it will be slower. Try to turn native off and it should be a lot quicker.

Thanks for your responses. By turning the native setting off, not only does it move reasonably faster, but the weird effect that sometimes occurs when changing between channels no longer seems to be occuring.

I appreciate your help with this situation.

With the native setting turned off, the resolution display now stays at 480p for all channels I tried. I guess the question is, in this situation, am I getting my HD channels in HD, even though the light stays at the 480p reading.

With the native setting turned off, the resolution display now stays at 480p for all channels I tried. I guess the question is, in this situation, am I getting my HD channels in HD, even though the light stays at the 480p reading.

First, in the setup select what formats you want to be available to you.
Then use the format button to switch to the one you want.

For example I have 480i and 1080i as the only selections (my TV is 1080i native).

I then set it to 1080i and leave it that way for 90% of my viewing, including SD programs. On some letterbox SD I'll use the format button to change to 1080i and let my TV do a stretch as it look better.

Just play with the various settings until you get some that work for you.

FYI the weird effect you were talking about is your TV doing a resync to the new format it's been sent. By turning native off you are sending the same format all the time to the TV and thus the TV doens't have to resync, thus saving a lot of time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts