new to this OTA thing Need Help.....

o1montess

Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
I currently have a standard samsung DVR non -hd Direct TV and a new Samsung 5087 hdtv. I have had a 4 month battle with Direct tv over the new hr20 box. 3 canceled appointments and 1 where they showed up said they were going to get a bigger ladder and never came back, so I have decided to try the OTA thing ive been hearing about. All I know is that I need a uhf- yellow antenna and that I am 12 - 18 miles from the station from what that Antenna web thing said. I am in Staten Island, new york

My question I guess is what exactly do I need (equipment) to get my locals in HD and work with my direct tv. Also Would I have to switch controllers when watching locals or can I use my direct Tv remote and still get locals in HD......All I wanted was my locals id HD for football and the season is half over already. Please help....

Last edited:
Not sure what Dirt TV is nor do I know exactly what your mounting options/needs or what your specific directional requirements are (need a zip - I guessed with 10314), but at 18 miles and this zip a Channel Master CM 4228 or a Winegard PR 8800 should work just fine and are around $50. Best case is to mount outside and as high as you can get; preferably at or just above the roof line; maybe on your chimney. (again not sure your situational needs) Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)