New to this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sean_sowards

Original poster
Sep 13, 2015
US
Me and my wife just recently bought our house. It came with a big dish in the side yard, exactly where I want to put a garage. I'm actually thinking of keeping it since I've been researching sounds neat. Still unsure what all I can do with it. But wasn't too take it down to move it. I have a good plan on all that except for the wires, the are 4 big wires,looking to be the normal size of coaxial going from dish to the house. My question is "is that what they are?" I don't want to cut them if I don't know what they are. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

:welcome to the forum
What you are looking at is called "ribbon cable" It has two RG6 coax runs, A three wire run (red,white,black) for the polar rotor motor on the back of the feedhorn, and a shielded 5 wire run (larger red, white motor wires) smaller green, brown, orange position sensor wires) Colors vary with some manufacturers.

Welcome to SatGuys!

Does the dish have a name on it anywhere that you noticed?

The wires sound to be like what Magic Static described in the above post and you should be able to disconnect most of them without cutting them. The two coax connectors should just unscrew off the LNB/LNBs on the feedhorn unit at the end of the arm sticking out of the center of the dish, the motor wires should be able to be disconnected easily if you remove the motor cover. The polarotor wires connected to a little box [usually blue colored] on the feedhorn at the end of the arm sticking out from the center of the dish may be need to be cut. Make a diagram of where they all connect to, it might help out later.

The feedhorn usually has a big plastic cover over it and all the wires except for the motor wires very often run through the inside of the arm sticking out from the center of the dish, so it's not immediately obvious where they're going to until that big plastic cover is removed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)