New to TWC - Ex Dish Network

cloverboy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Ok, so I just switched back to TWC after almost two years with Dish Network.
I think the picture quality on TWC is far better than Dish. I also enjoy the HD channels without having to change boxes and TV inputs like I did with Dish.

A couple things I do miss already though.

When I press the info button, Dish gave a much more detailed description, also it gave the date the program first aired so you could tell right away if it was new or a repeat.

Maybe I haven't figured out this yet, but when I watch something on the DVR, stop it in the middle, and come back later, I have to restart the whole program over and fast forward through what I already watched????

And probably the biggest thing I miss?? Dish DVR had a 30 second advance button when watching recorded programs. You could skip ahead 30 seconds at a time. I really miss that.

Other than than, no complaints about TWC.

As and aside, I had two 8300 boxes put in, one in my bedroom and one in my living room. Funny thing is, they came with two different remotes!!!
Strange strange strange.....

cloverboy

Explain to me why you had to switch between boxes and TV inputs with Dish but not with TWC. That makes no sense. I have the ViP-622 HD DVR and never switch between any inputs/boxes on my TV unless I want to watch a DVD.

I'm glad you are happy with TWC, I was never upset with their PQ, just their lack of adding channels and their terrible customer service. Here in Dayton, Ohio, they still haven't added any more channels to replace INHD2. No ESPN2HD, no NFL Network (or HD), no MHD (Dish doesn't have it either), no National Geographic HD, no Food HD, etc. etc. I also did not like the SA8300HD DVR.

I've had TWC for a couple of months now and still have Dish with DNS and superstations. TWC program guide sucks. To hard to read. Don't like having to push the fast forward button 3 times to skip ahead and hope you can stop the FF before missing to much of the program. I have the 8300DVR and it sometimes does not record programs scheduled. The TWC remote is big. bulky and difficult to operate with just one hand as compared to the 508 remote which has far fewer buttons but seems to do it all. On the plus side, having had AT60, I am now paying a lot less per month for the next 2 years with the bundled services(TV/Internet/phone) then what I was paying separately plus I'd say the programming package is comparable to AT200. I also get HBO and Showtime for free. Additionally, I get the HD Tier(which admittedly isn't that many channels -
maybe 10 or so). Overall however it is a lot more choice that what I had with Dish. After 2 years, I'll reassess my options and costs at that point. Maybe by that time TWC will have their interface more user friendly. Dish really does have a better interface and is easier to navigate.

Switching boxes

When I started out with Dish 2 years ago, they gave me 2 boxes. The 811 which was HD no DVR, and the 522 which was DVR no HD.

When I wanted to watch something in HD, I would use the 811. Now I found the 811 SD picture to be horrible, so I ran an S Video cable to watch SD with the 811, and component cables to watch HD. Two different input settings on my TV.

Then, if I wanted to use the 522 and the DVR, I would have to switch inputs again, and use the 2nd box. Believe me, it was alot of trouble. Oh, and if I wanted the locals in HD, have to adjust the off air ant. to pull in the signal strongly enough.

It got to be such a pain, I stopped using the 811 and sent it back. Wasn't worth the aggravation. Now, I could have got the new HD/DVR but at an upfront cost of I think it was $200, plus the fees. Nah. No upfront with TWC.

In my area, I get ESPN, ESPN2, Disc. Theater(which has not come in for 2 days), the locals (excluding Fox of course), TNT, PBS, some other movie channel, A&E, and MTV2 in HD. Thats about all I really need.

I will be watching the Super Bowl in HD now, and no rabbit ears to adjust!!!!

Oh, and as for channels, being a big Yankees fan (please don't throw things at me) TWC had the YES network. I missed the last two summers of Yankees baseball, and it hurt. So that was a good thing for TWC.

cloverboy

MTV2 in HD? I assume you mean MHD, there is no MTV2HD.

Apparently you are in a good area for TWC... when I left TWC in June, I was paying $105 for the DigiPic 2000 package + HD Tier, 2 pay channels (HBO and Showtime). I didn't get the digital value pack, Starz, TMC, etc.. I now pay $115 to Dish and get the AEP+HD. A great deal to me, plus I get 31 channels of HD (plus over the air) as compared to about 10 including the locals. Easy choice here...

Music channel

Yeah, thats what I meant. There was a Ricky Martin concert on the other day and it had MTV2 in the title. Not that I watched the whole concert. Really. I didn't.

cloverboy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)