New to US. Which FTA Receiver to buy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Puftas

Original poster
Mar 14, 2016
San Jose
Hi Guys,

I moved to the US (San Francisco bay area) few months ago. I want to install a dish and receive 97° West (Galaxy) FTA channels.

Could you help me out which satellite receiver is available in the U.S.?

Back home (Germany) I used Dreambox and I loved the box. Unfortunately its not available on amazon.com.

Actually any Linux based sat receiver would be fine for my purposes.

Another question: How big should my dish be in order to receive a safe clean signal?

Thank you!

Regards

Welcome to SatelliteGuys Puftas!!
Also you could probably drive to SatelliteAV and pick that up and save the shipping cost, with gas prices down.

Reactions: Magic Static
WOW!!! Was just brought to my attention, and actually looked at that eBay listing better.
It was $199 and free shipping for years.
$350 with shipping is a big rip-off!!!
Keep looking.

I thought there was something odd with that listing. You are right! The suggested retail of all the components in the kit is way short of $300. SatAV must of made an error.

Don't take us wrong Puftas. While I'm dismayed at the new pricing for GeoSatpro products, that doesn't change their quality, just the value. That receiver has excellent picture quality for the SD channels on 97W.

Maybe price is marked up because no MicroHD's are available right now? (And may never be available again) Just a thought

Welcome to SatGuys!

Did you get rid of your Dreambox? If not, it certainly would be easy to add the 97w Galaxy 19 satellite to the list and Blind Scan.

As far as which receiver to buy... At this time the North American market has very few good choices. If you only plan on aiming a fixed dish at 97w, almost any DVBS2 MPEG4 STB on Amazon or EBay will do. Little need to be concerned with AC3/Dolby decoding as the channels use standard audio.

If you plan on motorizing for receiving multiple satellites, then make sure the STB decodes AC3/Dolby; otherwise, many channels may not have audio if your TV does not decode raw AC3.

Since the 97w channels are almost all Standard Definition 480i (interlaced) format, I would recommend a STB that uses an ALI chipset. The ALI chipsets have the best deinterlace processes and will display nice video on HD TVs.

Not going to recommend any specific STBs, but please run by us any STB that you are considering prior to purchase. Might save you some aggravation and frustration!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: KE4EST and AceB
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)