New Tp on SES 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jibaro29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Lake Worth FL
I found this transponder a couple of weeks ago. Didn't think much about posting it until today. The tp frq is 12224 V 7999. I'm using my Manhattan receiver instead of my Micro. For some reason it does not pick it up.

I'm using a linear instead of the universal LNBF that would be required to get that frequency. However, in the MicroHD, remember that before you tell it to do a blind scan, it will allow you to increase the frequency range. The normal cut-off is 12200 MHz, so you'd need to increase the range. Otherwise, I would imagine a manual entry of the transponder would pull it in? Are you getting any feed on that transponder or is it just data?

IT's a rocket launch for Anik bird being shown live right now. Very rare feed on out of band freq, allocated for DBS broadcast services.

Sure it's live? Can find no news of a launch at Telsat or Loral. Replaying the G1 launch?? (Apr 2013)

Nice find! I'm getting it on a microHD with manual entry. I get it on both H and V, but stronger on H for me, which makes me wonder if it might be circular polarization. Don't have time right now to throw a DBS LNBF on the dish to see.

I'm not getting any audio either.

There is no transponder listed for SES 2 at this frequency. A new satellite for Bolivia, Túpac Katari, is at the same location. It doesn't have a North American beam, and I can't find a freq plan. Perhaps it is pointed at North America just for testing. But looks to be built and launched by China. Kind of a mystery what satellite it actually is.

That's been up for a couple of weeks or more, there's been talk about it here on the forum (forget where). Haven't looked lately at it, since I thought it was a live feed when I first saw it too. Couldn't get any audio then either, but I haven't thought to check again. It is interesting.

That's been up for a couple of weeks or more, there's been talk about it here on the forum (forget where). Haven't looked lately at it, since I thought it was a live feed when I first saw it too. Couldn't get any audio then either, but I haven't thought to check again. It is interesting.

Thanks. Missed it the first time around.

I couldn't find anything in the filings with the FCC that SES 2 had any transponders in the 12.2 to 12.7 GHz DBS band. Looking at the N2YO web site, I see that Nimiq 1 is now geostationary at 86.45 degrees west. It had been at 44.5 degrees east for some time. That would explain the constant repeats of the launch of another Telesat bird, Anik G1.

I couldn't find anything in the filings with the FCC that SES 2 had any transponders in the 12.2 to 12.7 GHz DBS band. Looking at the N2YO web site, I see that Nimiq 1 is now geostationary at 86.45 degrees west. It had been at 44.5 degrees east for some time. That would explain the constant repeats of the launch of another Telesat bird, Anik G1.

I think you've solved the mystery! I just kep'ped Nimiq-1 to confirm your info that it's in the 87 deg W slot (which is something I didn't know until your post that it moved since Canada's "FCC" stinks with sat info). I checked the Bolivia satellite mentioned earlier in this thread and found out it is not licensed for 12.2-12.7 if I"m reading the regulatory info correctly, and I know it's not SES-2 as that would be in the filings if it has 12.2-12.7 coverage (as you noted).

Nimiq-1 combined with TELESAT as the uplinker of that test signal plus the circular polarity of that transmission gels extremely well together for a positive ID!

I wonder how long this testing going to last any ideas?;)

Last time I checked the signal strenth is still very good at 70% as of 2-21-14.

Probably a very long time if the purpose is to make the 86.5 deg W DBS slot "active" so the license isn't forfeited for not using the spectrum.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts