New TV dish pq seems less impressive now

Now that I have seen the Hopper and played with it I think those that say it is a matter of calibrating the TV to the receiver have it right. The hopper picture on my Daughter's TV looks sharper to me than my VIP picture on my TV. But it also meant turning down the sharpness some and after going through the calibration with WOW turning down contrast some or else it was too sharp making it look compressed. Everyone there helping to get her set in the house she bought all thought the picture was excellent from the Hopper 3 she has, and she immediately commented it was better than what she got from Charter. I noticed it when using my own TV I brought over for the install when her TV was not there. I immediately saw a little sharper picture but also thought I would need to recalibrate my TV if I was using the Hopper.
There are enough posts of people who are not hit and run (troll) posters about the PQ of the Hopper, and that along with what I saw indicate the TV makes a difference and getting it adjusted correctly is important.

By the way, on my VIP on my professionally calibrated 4K 65" large screen TV DISH looks very good, However I saw mentioned FX and "Better Things" as looking bad, well I watched that premier last night and it was not very good PQ. Happens with certain shows on channels. Some look sterling others blah but that isn't DISH I see that on Charter all the time also, as well as Brighthouse. Also certain rerun shows on USA can look dull. But then new episodes of "The Middle" as one example look great also most live shows.
That makes me feel better to know someone else though the pq of better things looked bad. I'm gonna have to try to search the threads and try to calibrate my picture to see if it helps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Still can't figure it out by adjusting the picture settings it just isn't getting any clearer for me but on demand looks great and netflix from the hopper or the tv itself look incredible. The issue mainly comes in when there is alot of motion on the screen it will get so blurry you can't recognize peoples faces.

Sounds like motion blur. I have a setting called 120 pmr that if you set it on , corrects some of the blur. But every tv has a different name for it . Like I said before , I tried for three days to get the picture to look good on my Samsung hdtv a year ago and it made no difference. If you can't get the picture to look good on your basic satellite picture, you ought to take it back and get your money back. Tv Upgrades should improve your picture on everything , not just Netflix and on demand.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sounds like motion blur. I have a setting called 120 pmr that if you set it on , corrects some of the blur. But every tv has a different name for it . Like I said before , I tried for three days to get the picture to look good on my Samsung hdtv a year ago and it made no difference. If you can't get the picture to look good on your basic satellite picture, you ought to take it back and get your money back. Tv Upgrades should improve your picture on everything , not just Netflix and on demand.
I think it might just be certain programs now after 2 days of tweaking the settings I have gotten it where many programs look good and just some don't look good now I believe it was a setting for motion blur I changed

I think it might just be certain programs now after 2 days of tweaking the settings I have gotten it where many programs look good and just some don't look good now I believe it was a setting for motion blur I changed

Always turn off the so called high tech/whistle and bell settings.

Stumbled on this thread as I was considering whether to select DISH or DirecTV. Heard a lot of great things about DISH hardware but some iffy things about PQ compared with DirecTV.

But I was impressed with DISH's packages, and the service's other features.Having had DirecTV before and not being happy with their pricing and customer service, I was looking for a reason to go with DISH, in fact.

I visited the local installer I'm going to use, and they made it easy for me to compare the two, since they have twin 60" Sony Bravias set up side by side in their showroom, one for each service. I verified that each TV's menu settings were exactly the same, and that each service receiver was set comparably. I asked to look at about a dozen channels, some showing live sports, some of my local OTA channels, etc. And I stood back to about my den's viewing distance, about 10 feet.

Frankly, from the comments I have seen here and on other forums, I was anticipating seeing very little if any difference in picture quality. Not so.

From my normal viewing distance, about 10 feet away, it was instantly very easy for me to tell that the DISH picture was far softer -- almost blurry -- compared with DirecTV's. All you had to do was look at faces. Freckles, lines, creases, even zits were far more apparent on DirecTV than on the same DISH channel. And it wasn't on only a few channels: they were all like that.

So, with all due respect to those who say that both have about the same PQ, I am not trying to dissuade you from your beliefs. I only know what I saw.

Hmmm I'll give it a shot, mine are all a year or two old
some channels are more compress than others, some of the newer model TV like Samsung, shows compression very easily, I have tested alot of different model Dish receiver on various tv apart from the hopper3, and get the same result. Which is, some channels and some program are more compressed, I think Dish as a good service though

I once thought the same as some having Dish for locals and 1/2 price premiums while also carrying Directv for the rest of channels, that picture quality was less than stellar on Dish.
Have even argued the point before but over last 4 months after investing into 2 Sony x930d's and compared both services side by side the PQ between the two is so close and I'm talking about detailed lines and freckles on faces etc.
My conclusion is lower grade TV's do make Dish look inferior but with a good upscaling TV the difference is minimum if not impossible to see.

I choose the Sony's for sports spending a couple weekends comparing at bestbuy having them do side by side with cable instead of demo movies that make all TV's look good.

My conclusion is lower grade TV's do make Dish look inferior but with a good upscaling TV the difference is minimum if not impossible to see.
As I noted, the in-store comparison was made on twin Sony Bravias with menu settings exactly the same -- sharpness at 90, full resolution supported. DISH was noticeably softer. Even softer than my Mediacom service on my 2-year-old Insignia 50-inch.

As I noted, the in-store comparison was made on twin Sony Bravias with menu settings exactly the same -- sharpness at 90, full resolution supported. DISH was noticeably softer. Even softer than my Mediacom service on my 2-year-old Insignia 50-inch.

Well I've got a DirecTV Genie and a Hopper 3 connected to the same Sony 4K 55in TV on the same input with a switcher. The bottom line is that some HD channels look better from DirecTV and some HD channels look better from Dish and a lot of the HD channels look pretty much the same on both. All the SD channels look better from Dish.

Interesting. Could it be the quality of the satellite signal?

No, as long as the digital signal is well above threshold the picture is the same. So if your HD signal is about 60 to 95 on DirecTV or about 35 to 75 on Dish the pictures are rendered the same.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You can not compare that way. Each service will need different TV calibration to get the best picture. Even 2 of the same brand/model of TV using the same service most likely will need some differences in TV calibration. Not saying you are wrong, just the method used to compare is incorrect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)