New TV Plasma, LCD, DLP or FPTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

If you had to buy a new TV today, what type would you buy?

• Plasma

Votes: 38 40.9%
  • LCD

Votes: 39 41.9%
  • DLP

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • FPTV

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters
Plasma all the way. I have yet to see an LCD that maintains full resolution during motion.

After much research and visiting my local BB and Fry's, I went for a Panny 800u plasma last November even though I had gotten a 32" Samsung LCD for my bedroom a few months before that.

If I had it to do all over again, I wish I had waited until the prices dropped even lower and gotten a 42" plasma for the bedroom.

My last purchase was the Hitachi Director's Series 47X902 LCD for the bedroom. Very nice set.

S~
No Hitachi's around here anymore (not just here in this town)my last 2 sets were Hitachi's a 46" in the 80's then the '02 model 43" that the convergence went south on... (Bought a Sony):eek:flipped a coin twice and it lost the battle between it and a Samsung, went with it anyway... ;)

I have a Sammy LCD and Pioneer Plasma. The only complaint of the LCD is off axis viewing.

No complaints at all on Plasma.

I just installed my second FP. 2 FPs, 2 plasmas 1 LCD so far. FP is great if you have the right room. Then I would go with plasma. I went with LCD in the sun room since it is so bright.

Just got My Pioneer elite PRO-111FD for $2700 at best buy and the blacks on this set is black and the picture is SWEET!!!--just like going to the movies it is plasma and org price was $4500.00

To bad pioneer is leaving the show they make the best around.

Just got My Pioneer elite PRO-111FD for $2700 at best buy and the blacks on this set is black and the picture is SWEET!!!--just like going to the movies it is plasma and org price was $4500.00

To bad pioneer is leaving the show they make the best around.

Are you using ControlCal to get into the isf/day and isf/night mode???
It can take your Elite to a new level.

Jeff from Accucal calibrated my 151 as he did my Sammy LCD last year and he made two HDTV's look accurate and more deeper blacks..

It really depends on the situation but in general Plasma is the way to go. Below is my assessment of the 4 technologies.

-Plasma pros:
Offers the brightest picture with highest possible contrast.
Each pixel illuminates itself rather than depending on a back light or projector bulb.
Blacks are black, not blue or gray since black is created by the pixel NOT emanating light, rather than blocking light.
nearly 180° degree left/right/up/down viewing angle

- Plasma Cons
It is possible to "burn in" an image to the screen if you leave a high contrast image static on the screen for a long period of time. (Not likely on new sets unless VERY negligent, but it is possible)
Reflective surface on screen could cause glare.
Set is heavy in comparison to LCD and must be transported upright (you shouldn't lay a plasma screen horizontally when moving it)

------
LCD Flat Panel Pros
Light, easy to move and transport any way you want (really you shouldn't lay them down, but its not as critical)
Generally less expensive than plasma.
Absolutely no possibility of burn-in of an image on the screen
No reflective surface on screen so no glare in bright rooms or with poorly placed lamps.

-LCD Flat Panel Cons
Limited viewing angle on some models, even the ones with wide viewing angles (especially vertically), there is a "sweet spot" so the picture is not consistent everywhere in the room.
No "true black" LCD sets make black by blocking the back light shining though the LCD membrane. Though some more expensive models are great, no LCD flat panel blocks 100%. So LCD flat panel black is a very dark gray or blue. Not black.
-----

DLP Pros
- Large screen for the money.
- Very bright picture.

DLP Cons
Some models have very expensive bulbs that need to be replaced periodically. Some DLPs now have an LED bulb which make it more attractive.
Limited viewing angles
Screen will yellow over time. (YES IT WILL! :) )
Requires periodic cleaning INSIDE unit to keep it looking "like new" (YES, it does)
No "true" black, though very good.
---------------

Projector Pros
-Can have a HUGE picture projected on a whole wall.
-Versatile, easy to move from one place to another and have a true "theater"
-Versatile again...you can chose picture size depending on situation at a whim with most models!

Projector Cons
Picture quality dependent on what is used as a screen. A white wall vs a real screen surface or even a white bed sheet can drastically affect how good the picture looks. All would look good, but to compete on a PQ basis with the other three, you really need a true "screen" and smaller size concentrating more light on the smaller area making a very bright clear image. A 100" image would not look anywhere near as bright or clear. It will look great, but not "as great".
Bulbs can be very expensive and need to be replaced periodically.
Projectors have LCDs in them too, so they are also subject to the "true black" limitations.
You must have a dark room or at least projection area to get the best results from a projector. Hard to do in a living room with large windows during the day unless you want to live in a cave atmosphere or have the money for a "home theater room".
When people walk in front of the projector, they block the image...silly to say but essentially some one can block everyone's view when they get up for another bowl of cheetos! :)

I've got a Sony Grand Wega 42" 3LCD projection TV and I am researching what to replace it with. The bulbs are kinda of pricey (around $200.00) and the picture degrades noticeably with the life of the bulb.

Another issue I'm having is dust or something is getting into the unit causing a blotchey picture. It is getting real annoying. I've been told that I may have to ship it off to get it repaired cause I can't find anyone within a 50 mile radius who will/can repair it.

Had I known at the time I would have THIS issue, I would have gone with another type/manufacturer TV.

Depends what room it's for, the conditions, how much it will be used and what for.

If for everyday use, a good all around set is by far a Plasma.

You're not limited by viewing angles. You won't have to worry about replacing a costly bulb someday and plasmas are typically a better bargain then their thin screen counterpart LCD's. Plus, I believe plasma's produce the sharpest, most real image with the most vivid colors I've ever seen on an HD set of any sort. And I have experience with all that you've listed.

I just bought the Samsung 67" dlp with the LED lightsource. I looked at the high end panasonic plasmas, the Pioneer Kuros, all brands of LCD and none of them could hold a candle to the dlp. The 58" plasmas just didn't have as sharp of a picture to my eye and the LCD's were't big enough except for the one Sharp and it's a piece of garbage. I would have considered a projector, I have one in my family room, but this set is in a room with a lot of ambient light. The viewing angle on the dlp's does put a lot of people off, but that's usually because of the poor way they are displayed in stores. With the Sammy, horizontal viewing angle is no issue at all. Vertical is an issue if you're within 9 or 10 feet of the set and standing, but seated it's no problem. As an owner of a 46" LCD, a front projector, and a dlp, I can tell you without a doubt the dlp is my favorite set. Oh and by the way, it cost about half of what my LCD did 2 years ago.

In all fairness to those who favor other technologies, I'm using my set in a bright 32x20 room so I needed the big screen. I also wasn't concerned about hanging it on the wall. I just wanted the best possible picture.

Plasma is still the best of the current technologies. People continue to have false information about them which leads LCD display to sell more. Plasma has the best contrast ratio, black levels, color gamut and although they do have glossy screens of sorts, most of the better LCD displays do as well. The only time a plasma would not be recommended is if direct sunlight is shining on the screen. Otherwise, NOTHING looks better or as good, NOTHING.

I am an independent A/V consultant and have setup thousands of TV's so I speak from experience and own plasma TV's LCD TV's, DLP TV's and a projection LCD.

I just bought the Samsung 67" dlp with the LED lightsource. I looked at the high end panasonic plasmas, the Pioneer Kuros, all brands of LCD and none of them could hold a candle to the dlp. The 58" plasmas just didn't have as sharp of a picture to my eye and the LCD's were't big enough except for the one Sharp and it's a piece of garbage. I would have considered a projector, I have one in my family room, but this set is in a room with a lot of ambient light. The viewing angle on the dlp's does put a lot of people off, but that's usually because of the poor way they are displayed in stores. With the Sammy, horizontal viewing angle is no issue at all. Vertical is an issue if you're within 9 or 10 feet of the set and standing, but seated it's no problem. As an owner of a 46" LCD, a front projector, and a dlp, I can tell you without a doubt the dlp is my favorite set. Oh and by the way, it cost about half of what my LCD did 2 years ago.

In all fairness to those who favor other technologies, I'm using my set in a bright 32x20 room so I needed the big screen. I also wasn't concerned about hanging it on the wall. I just wanted the best possible picture.

Wow. Pioneer Elite cannot hold a candle to a DLP???

I guess opinions do vary;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts