New TV!

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Well got my new Sony Wega KDF-E50A10 and it Rocks!! SD picture looks ok with the 811 and HD is 10 times better than what it did on my Sony 57 inch. Now since this is LCD and has the HDMI input how does the DVI to HDMI look? I know since the 811 got DVI there is a cable that lets you go from DVI to HDMI. Does it really improve the picture that much? Or is it just best to waite untill the new 411 MPEG-4 receivers come out with HDMI and then go to HDMI then? Anyway just a few questions. :)

I have last years KDF-50WE655 and notice no difference betweek quality component cables and DVI/HDMI. DVI and HDMI provide the same video function, just a different interface and the fact DVI has no audio (actually a good thing IMO). However, get a 942 and if you want to see a difference IMO...your set will Rock & Roll. BTW, I also have two 811 that work very well, but the PQ is not as good as the 942.
guitarist1.gif

Poke:

I have last years Sony KDF-60XS9550 with two HDMI inputs -- one for my Sony upconverting DVP-NS975V DVD player and the other was supposed to go for the 942; however, I went back and forth between HDMI and component with the 942 and quite honestly could not see any difference. Right now the component line is hooked to the 942 because I'm too lazy to get behind everything and put it back to HDMI (remember, I couldn't see a difference).

I can say that my 942 puts out better picture quality than my old 811 ever did.

Poke, good choice for your new TV. ;)

My KDF-E50A10's HDMI is coming from my 921 and it looks great. But so do my component connections from my other components. :) I like that the HDMI is strictly digital, but that's me.

There is a big difference between what is possible with component video and DVI. What you may see is strictly controlled by what you feed it. One test I did was with HBOHD and my Adelphia HD box. Adelphia only supplies, and supports the component video interface on that box. I used it for a week and had ordered a DVI cable from the internet. When the 12ft DVI cable arrived, I turned the TV on to HBOHD and watched a show for a few minutes to observe the details of the picture. I switched to DVI and watched more of the same HBOHD show , and the difference was awesome. The number one thing to be sure of is that you are watching something that is HD. Just because you have your TV on an HD channel, does not mean you are watching HD content. So if you think that 720 progressive scan is as good as 1080i, think again. 1080i may be interlaced, but at an extra 360 lines squeezed in over 720 PS, or near double the lines of regular TV, there is something to notice, or they wouldn't be able to sell it to anyone. Joe

riffjim4069 said:
I have last years KDF-50WE655 and notice no difference betweek quality component cables and DVI/HDMI. DVI and HDMI provide the same video function, just a different interface and the fact DVI has no audio (actually a good thing IMO). However, get a 942 and if you want to see a difference IMO...your set will Rock & Roll. BTW, I also have two 811 that work very well, but the PQ is not as good as the 942.
guitarist1.gif

Technojunky said:
There is a big difference between what is possible with component video and DVI. What you may see is strictly controlled by what you feed it. One test I did was with HBOHD and my Adelphia HD box. Adelphia only supplies, and supports the component video interface on that box. I used it for a week and had ordered a DVI cable from the internet. When the 12ft DVI cable arrived, I turned the TV on to HBOHD and watched a show for a few minutes to observe the details of the picture. I switched to DVI and watched more of the same HBOHD show , and the difference was awesome. The number one thing to be sure of is that you are watching something that is HD. Just because you have your TV on an HD channel, does not mean you are watching HD content. So if you think that 720 progressive scan is as good as 1080i, think again. 1080i may be interlaced, but at an extra 360 lines squeezed in over 720 PS, or near double the lines of regular TV, there is something to notice, or they wouldn't be able to sell it to anyone. Joe
Thanks Techno, but I believe the poster was specifically asking about component vs DVI/HDMI on the Sony Grand Wega. The assumption is that we are comparing the same HD source, from the same provider, on calibrated interfaces. Although I have 3 HDTVs, more than a dozen HD receivers, and have been receiving HD via cable, satellite, OTA, and through recorded sources like HD DVR and D-VHS for the past 4 years...I thought I would reply based on my experience with my Sony Grand Wega when viewing from the same HD source across these two interfaces.

Additionally, I have a video signal generator and outputted a HD stream that looks identical when using both sources. The native resolution for last years KDF-50WE655 was 1366 x 768 whereas this years KDF-E50A10 is 1280 x 720. IMO, full bitrate 1080i looked better on last years model, but I am not about to debate 1080i versus 720p (I obviously prefer 1080i), just state my observations. Will native 720p look as good or better on this years model? Don't know, but the new 3LCD feature on this years sets should give it added detail if nothing else. Personally, these are great sets, but the PQ on my almost 4 year old Mitsubishi CRT RPTV w/ component is better than almost any LCD/DLP on the market today. It's too bad it's such a pain to keep it properly converged. As far as SD goes...I think we all avoid it as much as possible.

Also, you can compare whatever boxes you want. OTA is almost all cases is superior and, in this case, the 942 has better HD PQ than the 811.

On another note, my brother just bought the new Sony 55" model of LCD projection, the model number escapes me. The reason I bring this up was because he was going to jump to Dish HD, but when he called Comcast to cancel, they tossed him a bone.
They are going to give him HD in four rooms, plus HD PVR in two for $63/month for a year. I was not happy with cable HD from Adelphia, but he didn't have to sign a contract, so he is going to give them a shot. Tehy said that they will send an expert to his home and not leave until he says Wow at the picture on his new Sony. After a year, they said it will go to about $110.00 for the same. I doubt it.

Thanks Tux! Is there anything that you did to your set to tweak the picture any??

Not yet, other than went through all the basic adjustments provided in the "Wega Gate" menus, for each input I'm using. I believe I have the following inputs in use:
4 (component) - DVD
5 (component) - Standalone digital OTA receiver
6 (HDMI) - Dish Network 921 HD-DVR
7 (PC) - Linux home theater PC

Of course, in addition to the "UHF antenna" input for my 11 distributed channels which include the above 4.

One thing I noticed, though, for input 7 ("RGB" or "HD15") is they have some fixed "Text" and "Video" profiles that seem to play with the sharpness and maybe contrast and some other adjustments. When I'm actually using that input, I'm not really doing HTPC stuff, just web browsing or coding up some stuff. :) Anyway, I tried "Text" and it messed with my eyes too much, so I put it on "Video" and the text actually looks better that way in my opinion.

Maybe some time early next year I'll call Greg over. :)

Have you tried SD on your new set. I am getting the same set just the 42in for the bedroom...

Yeah some of the SD looks the same mainly Local Channels which have never looked that good. But some of the major networks like Fox, USA, TNT so on do look some what better. But on the SD side of things it really does not matter what TV you have. Until they go to MPEG 4 or some other way of broadcasting things on SD. SD will always look about the same until they TV Networks make changes on their end. That’s why I never advise someone to go out drop like 6,000-10,000 on a TV unless you just got money throw away. Why because it doesn’t matter it's all on how things are broadcast on the other end. Your TV does not control that it can only do so much on it's end. Overall you will be pleased with Sony and the 42 inch model is a hot seller right now. Again Good Luck on your set. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts