Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rebel Racing

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Detroit
Hi Guys,

Around 3 am (eastern time zone), the receiver updated itself. When I turned it on just now there was no picture--just a blank screen for several minutes. A scheduled recording was not recording either. I did a red button re-boot and after going through the self checks all is fine. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else?

Last edited:
New Update Causing Problems??? HD DVR

Hi Guys,

Somethings going on with the receiver since this update. Freezing, black screen and sometimes I cannot turn off the unit by the remote. A RBR fixes it but it might do it again in 15 minutes or the next day. Receiver is a HD DVR HR24. I'd suspect the hard drive going bad but it seems odd it just started acting up after the update. Thoughts??

Hi Guys,

Somethings going on with the receiver since this update. Freezing, black screen and sometimes I cannot turn off the unit by the remote. A RBR fixes it but it might do it again in 15 minutes or the next day. Receiver is a HD DVR HR24. I'd suspect the hard drive going bad but it seems odd it just started acting up after the update. Thoughts??

Just wait & see how it acts before worrying.

Well, the Wife tells me it was hanging up multiple times an hour--unwatchable. I unplugged it and it will have rested 3 hrs. I'll see what it does when I get home in an hour. I can't help thinking it has something to do with the update.

Well, the Wife tells me it was hanging up multiple times an hour--unwatchable. I unplugged it and it will have rested 3 hrs. I'll see what it does when I get home in an hour. I can't help thinking it has something to do with the update.
Got home now and plugged in the receiver. Of course it went through the normal set up and then acted normal. I'm watching a recorded show from earlier today and it is freezing for a second every few minutes. I'll report what it does with live tv in a bit. Keep in mind none of this was happening until after that update happened last Thursday morning. Is there a way to reverse an update??

FWIW, my receiver behaved exactly like that when the hard drive was dying.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Fix For a Potential Bad HD???

Another update.................live tv seems to be pretty stable after watching for 3 hr or so. Currently watching a recording from earlier today--a lot more stable than before BUT, it still will hang up for a second or 2 occasionally. Even though to me, it sounds like a HD going bad, all this started right after the firmware update. Maybe the firmware update has done something to the HD (doubtful but I am stumped).

If it is my HD going bad, could I hook up a larger external like DTV says will work:

"You'll need an external hard drive that uses an eSATA connection. The following hard drive models are recommended:

• Western Digital 500GB (model WDG1S5000)
  • Seagate 500GB (model ST30500SCA109-RK)
  • Western Digital 1TB (model WDG1S10000)
  • Seagate 1TB (model ST31000SCA109-RK)

Follow these steps to connect the external hard drive:

• Turn off your receiver by unplugging the power cord. (Do not rely on the power button.)
  • Look for the port on the back of your receiver labeled SATA.
  • Connect the eSATA hard drive with an eSATA cable. Make sure the cable is firmly connected on both ends.
  • Turn on the eSATA hard drive and give it several seconds to spin up to speed.
  • Plug in the power chord of your receiver.

When your receiver reboots, it will automatically see the newly-connected hard drive. The hard drive inside your receiver will be disabled.

You now have expanded recording capacity. With a 1TB hard drive, you can record up to 200 hours of HD programming."

If this is a viable option, I know the Wife would like more recording space--too good to be true???

Thanks!!

Results Of A System Test

O.K. another observation................just did a system test and it came back with a dish alignment problem. I checked the signal, the 101 is mid 80's to 100. However the 99 and 103 is almost entirly in the 70's with an odd low 80. Now, I haven't had anything touch the dish or any big winds so I don't think it has changed but did the firmware update make dish alignment even more critical--grasping at straws here. Would a lower than optimal signal strength on the 99 and 103's cause recordings to occasionally hang up for a second or 5?? Still, all was fine until that dang update--no way to roll it back I assume.

Thanks!!

More Updates...............

Hi Guys,
confused.png

After several days of watching live tv, all seems fine now HOWEVER, any recordings are still pausing every now and then. Does the same thing either with a recording or if I pause live tv for a few minutes and start it back again. Once I am caught up, all is fine again. Does this sound like strictly a hard drive issue and is so, could I just get an external HD (a DVR Expander)?? Keep in mind that all this started the morning after the latest firmware was downloaded--the receiver is less than 4 yr old (always stays in the entertainment cabinet with lots of airflow around it). Are there any tests I can do at this point??

Thanks!!

Another update.................live tv seems to be pretty stable after watching for 3 hr or so. Currently watching a recording from earlier today--a lot more stable than before BUT, it still will hang up for a second or 2 occasionally. Even though to me, it sounds like a HD going bad, all this started right after the firmware update. Maybe the firmware update has done something to the HD (doubtful but I am stumped).

If it is my HD going bad, could I hook up a larger external like DTV says will work:

"You'll need an external hard drive that uses an eSATA connection. The following hard drive models are recommended:

• Western Digital 500GB (model WDG1S5000)
  • Seagate 500GB (model ST30500SCA109-RK)
  • Western Digital 1TB (model WDG1S10000)
  • Seagate 1TB (model ST31000SCA109-RK)

Follow these steps to connect the external hard drive:

• Turn off your receiver by unplugging the power cord. (Do not rely on the power button.)
  • Look for the port on the back of your receiver labeled SATA.
  • Connect the eSATA hard drive with an eSATA cable. Make sure the cable is firmly connected on both ends.
  • Turn on the eSATA hard drive and give it several seconds to spin up to speed.
  • Plug in the power chord of your receiver.

When your receiver reboots, it will automatically see the newly-connected hard drive. The hard drive inside your receiver will be disabled.

You now have expanded recording capacity. With a 1TB hard drive, you can record up to 200 hours of HD programming."

If this is a viable option, I know the Wife would like more recording space--too good to be true???

Thanks!!

Yes you can.

Hi Guys,
confused.png

After several days of watching live tv, all seems fine now HOWEVER, any recordings are still pausing every now and then. Does the same thing either with a recording or if I pause live tv for a few minutes and start it back again. Once I am caught up, all is fine again. Does this sound like strictly a hard drive issue and is so, could I just get an external HD (a DVR Expander)?? Keep in mind that all this started the morning after the latest firmware was downloaded--the receiver is less than 4 yr old (always stays in the entertainment cabinet with lots of airflow around it). Are there any tests I can do at this point??

Thanks!!

years old is VERY Old in electronics years.

That said, I have 4 HR24's in use ...

So..............do I buy an expander (1 TB) and hope for the best--in your opinion, is it my HD going bad?

It's really hard to say, seeing it happened right after an update ...

The typical rule is disregard any issues for 12-24 hours after an update, but you probably have done that already, it gives it time to do all the behind the scenes things the update is working on.

Have you asked D* about this yet ?
Keep in mind, they will first ask you to go thru all the tests you've already done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.