New uplink: HBO and Cinemax back in testing on Dish! (6 Viewers)

bowens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 30, 2005
Florida
Hopefully they'll have some sort of deal to get people signed back up. $10/month for 12 months or something like that.

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Hopefully they'll have some sort of deal to get people signed back up. $10/month for 12 months or something like that.
$10 is the regular price for the commercial-supported plan (which hopefully will also be available through Dish). The HBO Max website is already offering a further discount off of that lower price, when you order an annual subscription directly from them. Apparently, there is still code on Dish's website for an HBO $5 per month for six months offer, if they choose to enable that option.
I was looking at the Javascript code on the MyDish page when you login. When you pull up the code and do a search for HBO, you can see all the code that refers to HBO. A lot of it is the $5 for 6 month deal that is currently disabled - but that could be left over code from the last time Dish had HBO and was never removed.

The part I found interesting is the code that refers to HBO Max. HBO Max wasn't around the last time Dish had HBO. Looking at the code, it appears there is going to be an informational page at https://my.dish.com/upgrades/premiums/hbomax

Howard Simmons

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
Northwest Florida
$10 is the regular price for the commercial-supported plan (which hopefully will also be available through Dish). The HBO Max website is already offering a further discount off of that lower price, when you order an annual subscription directly from them. Apparently, there is still code on Dish's website for an HBO $5 per month for six months offer, if they choose to enable that option.
The HBO Max savings is 16% so it says for the yearly.

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Meanwhile...another Wednesday has quietly come and gone.
Nothing significant about yesterday's uplink report?
Not entirely quietly. There was this little gem:
Channels Now Available
9895 TVPPL 118° TP 16 HD Hidden – AVAILABLE
9896 TVPPL 118° TP 30 SD Hidden –
AVAILABLE

It's TV, people!
:p

Also from that same report, a lot of Disney-owned channels had streaming VOD versions put in testing. Whether that actually ever results in more streaming channels showing up on our receivers remains to be seen...

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
That would be great. Neither My Directv nor LG OLED TVs have the HBO/MAX App. I have to use a Laptop with HDMI to see HBO/MAX on the OLEDs.
Or in the meantime and without any speculation as to when or even if the HBOMax app comes to DISH you can get a Firestick for $40 and have 4K/HDR built right into an input on your OLED. I just test that on my Firestick and it is beautiful.

chiodo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 17, 2005
Pacific NW
Are they that unreliable?
I have 2 4k Firesticks for 2 TV's one is used heavily, sometimes it has issues but a simple unplugging the power cord and replugging it in solves the issue. HBO Max app is pretty nice picture on it. I prefer the FS 4k over the Roku 4k premiere. But I've noticed the Roku picture quality is improving. If Firestick 4k or the cube is on sale on Prime day I'll probably get another one. Maybe HBO will be back after July 4 long weekend??? Or when Dish release's their new hardware.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Are they that unreliable?
Darn good question. They were both years old and neither has any way to turn it off. I have a 3rd which has spent most of it's life in my luggage, and it was still working the last time I took a trip.
Occasionally, I have to "reboot" my Fire Stick, then it works fine.
Our most heavily used Stick kept losing it's wifi connection and had a tough time getting reconnected after a reset. The second most heavily used is stuck on the FireTV animated logo. I have not been able to get it to do a factory reset, so it's headed for the trash as well.

And now I"ll say something really shocking to get somewhat back on topic. I am using my J3 almost exclusively because of that stick stuck in boot. Our Dish gear are all on all the time as well, with no such failure.

Ray_Clum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 10, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
That’s why I’m glad I paid a little more for my AppleTV 4K. Picture on all apps is great. Plus I’ve got it tied on my internal network to my PC where I’ve got over 6.5TB of movies and TV shows in iTunes.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users who are viewing this thread