New uplink: HBO and Cinemax back in testing on Dish! (7 Viewers)

DJ Lon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have 2 4k Firesticks for 2 TV's one is used heavily, sometimes it has issues but a simple unplugging the power cord and replugging it in solves the issue. HBO Max app is pretty nice picture on it. I prefer the FS 4k over the Roku 4k premiere. But I've noticed the Roku picture quality is improving. If Firestick 4k or the cube is on sale on Prime day I'll probably get another one. Maybe HBO will be back after July 4 long weekend??? Or when Dish release's their new hardware.

Darn good question. They were both years old and neither has any way to turn it off. I have a 3rd which has spent most of it's life in my luggage, and it was still working the last time I took a trip.

Our most heavily used Stick kept losing it's wifi connection and had a tough time getting reconnected after a reset. The second most heavily used is stuck on the FireTV animated logo. I have not been able to get it to do a factory reset, so it's headed for the trash as well.

And now I"ll say something really shocking to get somewhat back on topic. I am using my J3 almost exclusively because of that stick stuck in boot. Our Dish gear are all on all the time as well, with no such failure.
Interesting... I've had Roku sticks ever since they came out and none of them have ever failed; I've only replaced them to keep up with current streaming technology. I do have a Fire TV as well but it's built in to a Toshiba TV I bought for the bedroom, not a stand alone unit.

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
Maybe we need a new thread for this "My firesticks work better than your firesticks" measuring contest. :p
Naw, the thread topic needed a break seeing there has been no progress on the HBO front really since the thread started. We'll switch to why Roku is or isn't better than Fire Stick and then we can get back on track with the OP after the next uplink that doesn't tell us anything new.

TheLip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 24, 2016
Greendale IN (Lawrenceburg, IN)
Well, I am not sure how "big" my 4k Firestick is compared to everyone else's, but I will say this; I use my 4k Firestick for almost all steaming content because the picture quality is better than anything on my H3.

It reliably does 4k HDR and Dolby Vision with stunning results on my OLED.

The H3 on the other hand has done 4k On Demand fairly well, but any of the broadcast stuff has been terrible with inaccurate colors and brightness issues. 4k HDR has also been unreliable and very infrequent.

The Amazon app on the H3 does HDR, but apparently not Dolby Vision. Navigation is sluggish compared to my Firestick.

My Netflix app on the H3 doesn't do HDR or Dolby Vision.

So, as much as I would prefer to have a one-device solution, I will continue to use the Firestick until the H3 offers the same or better picture quality.

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
Darn good question. They were both years old and neither has any way to turn it off.

I use a 4K Firestick with Dish Anywhere whenever I am on my exercise bike. I always put the Firestick to sleep whenever I am done watching.
To put the Firestick to sleep hold the Home button down until you get to the main menu. Then select sleep. To wake up the sleeping Firestick you hit the Home Button.
I have 2 4K Firesticks and 1 older Firestick and I have never had any problem with any of them. I always make sure they have the latest software update. The 4K Firesticks seem to have a lot of software updates while the older Firestick doesn’t seem to have many software updates. I also have a fixed I/P address for all of my devices.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Maybe we need a new thread for this "My firesticks work better than your firesticks" measuring contest. :p
As the starter of this thread, I whole-heartedly agree! :heartbeat

Naw, the thread topic needed a break seeing there has been no progress on the HBO front really since the thread started. We'll switch to why Roku is or isn't better than Fire Stick and then we can get back on track with the OP after the next uplink that doesn't tell us anything new.
As the OP, I disagree. However, I do still think that the more interest there is in this thread, the more likely it is that HBO will actually return to Dish. (That is, assuming that Dish is only looking at the post count and number of views, rather than actually reading what we are saying in the thread.) So, anything that keeps this thread going, I guess...

For what it's worth, I have been updating this thread with any news after each Wednesday's uplink. Whether that news is actually relevant is another matter entirely. ;)

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
Not entirely quietly. There was this little gem:
Channels Now Available
9895 TVPPL 118° TP 16 HD Hidden – AVAILABLE
9896 TVPPL 118° TP 30 SD Hidden –
AVAILABLE

It's TV, people!
:p

Also from that same report, a lot of Disney-owned channels had streaming VOD versions put in testing. Whether that actually ever results in more streaming channels showing up on our receivers remains to be seen...
I have the orginal firetv still chugging along

Reactions: Howard Simmons

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
Or in the meantime and without any speculation as to when or even if the HBOMax app comes to DISH you can get a Firestick for $40 and have 4K/HDR built right into an input on your OLED. I just test that on my Firestick and it is beautiful.
Thanks , just searched for a 4K Firestick and bought 2 for $22.99 each using the Capital One price finder.

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Thanks , just searched for a 4K Firestick and bought 2 for $22.99 each using the Capital One price finder.
Great news but... That's the same price as I paid some sort of scammer on Ebay. I have yet to get my money back. Can you tell us who has a 4K Stick for $22.99?

Reactions: charlesrshell

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
Great news but... That's the same price as I paid some sort of scammer on Ebay. I have yet to get my money back. Can you tell us who has a 4K Stick for $22.99?
Periodically it is $25 or $30 on Amazon and Prime Days is coming and they usually drop the prices on their tech for those events. So presumably on June 21st you can get a good deal on it.

ETA: Sorry for the echo. Just noticed the following post.

Reactions: Conway and TheKrell

bookworm370

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I use a 4K Firestick with Dish Anywhere whenever I am on my exercise bike. I always put the Firestick to sleep whenever I am done watching.
To put the Firestick to sleep hold the Home button down until you get to the main menu. Then select sleep. To wake up the sleeping Firestick you hit the Home Button.
I have 2 4K Firesticks and 1 older Firestick and I have never had any problem with any of them. I always make sure they have the latest software update. The 4K Firesticks seem to have a lot of software updates while the older Firestick doesn’t seem to have many software updates. I also have a fixed I/P address for all of my devices.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Dish Anywhere on the Fire Stick works OK, if you intend to just watch a show from start to end. But if you try to backup a show, 7 times out of 10, it will get so messed up that you have to start to show from the beginning and try to fast forward to the point you want.

It's been that way for years, and Dish is just not interested in fixing it, even though the C/S rep told me that I could use a Fire Stick if I didn't want to spend continuous $$ on a Joey for just rooms that I occasionally use.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

odbrv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 21, 2004
Lubbock, Tx
Sold by dfrulla ( 22 )
1623623731735.png

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
I have had both Firesticks and Roku devices die on me. I've had many more Rokus that failed because I've owned more Rokus in general, but they all eventually died. I got sick of the cheap devices, and I now I run NVIDIA Shields on all our TVs. So far, so good.

Reactions: charlesrshell

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I have had both Firesticks and Roku devices die on me. I've had many more Rokus that failed because I've owned more Rokus in general, but they all eventually died. I got sick of the cheap devices, and I now I run NVIDIA Shields on all our TVs. So far, so good.
Aren't they kind of really pricey compared to Roku or Firestick? I guess you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread