New uplink: HBO and Cinemax back in testing on Dish! (11 Viewers)

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
It would be nice surprise too if RSNs showed up! You never know! Keep looking crodrules.
I fully expect the remaining RSN's to be completely removed, long before any of them would ever show back up again. The writing is pretty much on the wall with the way Dish is advertising for the Multi-Sport Pack (in their emails about the five free months offer) as I pointed out in other threads. The listed number of channels included keeps dropping, and has already taken the removal of the remaining RSN's into account. :(

• Sad
Reactions: charlesrshell

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I wonder why all of the HBO/Cinemax Dish previously had wouldn't be restored?

Usually when lengthy outages are resolved some sort of additional perk is included.
On another site, someone was wondering about why these specific channels were picked for the slots on the satellite. Specifically, they suggested that HBO Family would have been a better choice than HBO2. I am guessing the goal is to provide the greatest amount of unique programming possible with the fewest number of channels. Therefore, there would be less duplication tying up satellite bandwidth.

Dish does have a history of discriminating against HBO Family, though. USSB (then later, Directv) always carried HBO Family both East and West. Dish never did add the West feed, and now they are relegating it to streaming-only.

With HBO Family returning in any form at all, though, I have to wonder if Dish is planning to bring back the annual Kids Binge-A-Palooza event. Dish skipped that set of free previews last year. Of course, Dish was also still in negotiations with Viacom around that time.

Reactions: charlesrshell

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
Also interestingly, I read not more than around three or four days ago Charlie commented that he didn't see HBO ever coming back to Dish. He said those that wanted it had either already left Dish or acquired it through streaming, so there was no need for Dish to have those channels.

Reactions: navychop

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
the HBO channels being tested makes me wonder if Dish has reached a new agreement with AT&T/WarnerMedia for renewal of the Turner networks and as part of the deal they will restore HBO and Cinemax and allow Dish customers to get free access to HBOMax with a subscription to HBO.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Reactions: crodrules

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
Also interestingly, I read not more than around three or four days ago Charlie commented that he didn't see HBO ever coming back to Dish. He said those that wanted it had either already left Dish or acquired it through streaming, so there was no need for Dish to have those channels.
Maybe Charlie was bluffing. Actually, I think it was HBO that was more interested in returning to Dish. They are losing other distributors, such as Orby and Amazon Prime Channels. This may have made HBO more reasonable in dealing with the only other remaining satellite distributor (Dish) to avoid the appearance of an AT&T monopoly with Directv being the only satellite distributor for HBO. This would also give HBO a path to have an HBO Max app on the Hopper, to replace the HBO channel that will be disappearing from the Prime Video app later this year.

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA
Actually, I think it was HBO that was more interested in returning to Dish. They are losing other distributors, such as Orby and Amazon Prime Channels.
HBO Max has plenty of online distributors and anyone with broadband can get it. It's seeing impressive growth, with total subscribers now over 44 million.

But the weak spot in their reach is rural America where broadband isn't available. And a lot of those folks have DISH. So getting DISH back on board as a distributor might be a way for HBO Max to gain another 1-2 million or so subs (i.e. about 10-20% of DISH's total subscriber base) who have no other way to get it (or who wouldn't bother to use the HBO Max app on a separate streaming device like Roku even if they do have broadband available where they live). Of course, if a DISH sub doesn't have broadband and subscribes to HBO Max through DISH, they'll only get the HBO linear channels, can't use the full app. But that'll be enough for some.

Side note: I remember getting Cinemax through DISH for one cent for a whole year several years ago! I think they offered that bonus to customers for a couple years in a row.

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I wonder what Dish will charge for these channels? It's been so long I forgot what I was paying before they took them off of Dish. I would think they can't charge more than the monthly cost for HBO MAX which is $15 a month. I could be wrong.

Reactions: joewhite57

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I wonder what Dish will charge for these channels? It's been so long I forgot what I was paying before they took them off of Dish. I would think they can't charge more than the monthly cost for HBO MAX which is $15 a month. I could be wrong.
Orby charged more than that for their HBO offering, and they had fewer channels than this. HBO and Dish could be targeting this offering at subscribers who cannot get HBO Max any other way (no affordable high-speed internet available) and would have no choice but to pay the higher price. Of course, with the way Dish does half-price offers on other premiums, it may still be possible to get a temporary deal that is lower than the $15 price of HBO Max, but the regular price would still be higher than that.

mopardude01

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 16, 2014
missouri
Orby charged more than that for their HBO offering, and they had fewer channels than this. HBO and Dish could be targeting this offering at subscribers who cannot get HBO Max any other way (no affordable high-speed internet available) and would have no choice but to pay the higher price. Of course, with the way Dish does half-price offers on other premiums, it may still be possible to get a temporary deal that is lower than the $15 price of HBO Max, but the regular price would still be higher than that.
I wouldn't pay$15 for HBO/Max, I don't have high speed available here in the sticks. And as soon as my 3 months are over, I won't be buying the other premiums either, just not worth the money in my opinion.

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I wouldn't pay$15 for HBO/Max, I don't have high speed available here in the sticks. And as soon as my 3 months are over, I won't be buying the other premiums either, just not worth the money in my opinion.
I may keep it long enough to watch Titans season 3 when it premieres in July, since I already have the first two seasons on DVD and enjoyed watching them. I am also interested in seeing Zack Snyder's Justice League, and getting caught up on watching other DC movies. Other than that, there is not much of value for me on HBO Max.

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I may keep it long enough to watch Titans season 3 when it premieres in July, since I already have the first two seasons on DVD and enjoyed watching them. I am also interested in seeing Zack Snyder's Justice League, and getting caught up on watching other DC movies. Other than that, there is not much of value for me on HBO Max.
The only problem I had with Zack Snyder's Justice league is that it was not wide screen. A dumb move on his part.

eddie willers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 15, 2003
Braselton, Ga.
Remembering shows like The Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, Carnivàle, Game of Thrones, I had expectations and so ordered HBO Max when it was offered on the Amazon Firestick. What a waste of money. I may sound like a cranky old guy, but the quality of scripted TV shows has sunk to new lows.

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I had a $10 “lifetime” subscription. Lol
This is why I expect Dish to bundle HBO and Cinemax for $20, and then offer an introductory half-price offer of $10, to appease those who had the $10 rate before HBO was removed. Of course, I would be quite happy if Dish would surprise us with a lower rate than that.

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA
This is why I expect Dish to bundle HBO and Cinemax for $20, and then offer an introductory half-price offer of $10, to appease those who had the $10 rate before HBO was removed. Of course, I would be quite happy if Dish would surprise us with a lower rate than that.
In order for pay TV operators to begin offering the HBO Max (rather than the old HBO Go) app with an HBO subscription, they had to sign a new distribution contract with Warner. Comcast, Charter, Verizon, Cox, etc. -- all of them did so last year before or shortly after HBO Max launched in May.

One thing I've noticed since then is that no one seems to be offering discounts for HBO any more. Everyone sells it a la carte at the same $14.99/mo price point. I no longer read any posts from customers on any provider who say they're getting HBO/HBO Max free or half-price for a few months for being a loyal customer, as used to be fairly common. Only company giving it away for free seems to be AT&T, who owns it, and includes it on certain higher-priced wireless, fiber, and cable TV plans.

Could just be a coincidence or it might be a condition of these new contracts that Warner stipulates that distributors cannot sell HBO Max for less than their own direct-to-consumer regular price of $14.99/mo., or offer any kind of free trial for it. I don't know.

However, if you're hoping for a less expensive way to get HBO Max, they're going to roll out a version that has a limited amount of ads included in all the non-HBO content in the app in June. (All the HBO Originals, and I suppose movies in the HBO library, will remain ad-free.) It'll have all the same content as the regular version except for the new WB movies currently in theaters. Rumored to cost $10/mo.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if a new distribution contract with DISH allowed them to bundle Cinemax in with HBO Max for a little higher price, or maybe even at no extra cost (especially if DISH is only going to carry three of Cinemax's eight eastern feed channels and none of its western ones). As I mentioned above, there is a precedent at DISH of basically giving away Cinemax -- they offered it for a penny per year for a couple years over a decade ago.

And at this point, Cinemax isn't the service it used to be. It's no longer included in bigger channel packages by any operator, so the number of subs is now down to maybe 1/3 what it had it its peak several years ago. And they've stopped spending money to produce or acquire new original content. Meanwhile, some of Cinemax's biggest original series from the past are now available to stream on HBO Max. So selling it at a very low wholesale price to operators so they could either throw it in free with HBO Max, to juice sales, or maybe to sell it a la carte at a low price like $5/mo would make sense. Everyone still seems to be selling it a la carte in the $10-12/mo range for now but I have to believe that its subscriber count will continue to dwindle away to almost nothing at that price given the poor value it represents now versus HBO Max at $15 (or $10 with limited ads).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread