New uplink: HBO and Cinemax back in testing on Dish! (17 Viewers)

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
I thought that ATT discontinued most of the HBO/Max channels and only had a few left anywhere. Do some distributors have all of the HBO/Max channels? How many does Direct even have?

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I thought that ATT discontinued most of the HBO/Max channels and only had a few left anywhere. Do some distributors have all of the HBO/Max channels? How many does Direct even have?
Apparently all of them (all of the East, and some West, anyway) judging by their channel chart:
5 Star Max HD
Action Max HD
Cinemax East
Cinemax East HD
Cinemax Latino HD
More Max
More Max HD
Movie Max HD
Thriller Max HD
Cinemax West
Cinemax West HD

HBO Comedy HD
HBO East
HBO East HD
HBO Family East
HBO Family East HD
HBO Family West
HBO Latino
HBO Latino HD
HBO Signature
HBO Signature HD
HBO West
HBO West HD
HBO Zone HD
HBO2 East
HBO2 East HD
HBO2 West
HBO2 West HD

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA
You're correct in that AT&T TV only has a few of the HBO and Cinemax linear channels. It has HBO, HBO 2, HBO Family, and HBO Latino, plus Cinemax and Action Max. That's it.

Given that AT&T TV is/was supposed to be the company's new flagship cable TV service that would be the next-gen streaming successor to both DirecTV and Uverse TV, it's interesting that they've never chosen to include all of their HBO and Cinemax linear channels on the service, as they do on DirecTV (and, as far as I know, on Uverse TV). They could obviously easily do so -- there's no contractual hang-up, given that AT&T owns all those channels.

I've wondered if this isn't an indication that perhaps the longer-term plan isn't to cull some of those HBO and Cinemax channels. It seems clear that they want to shift more and more viewing to the HBO Max app, and everyone's consumption pattern has been shifting toward on-demand viewing anyway (whether via streaming or via DVR recordings from linear). So maybe they figure that there's not much need to run channels like HBO Signature or Thriller Max. All those channels just repeat the same stuff and it's all available on-demand anyhow.

Reactions: MrDRC

bookworm370

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
After almost a full year without HBO, most all of the Dish customers have just adjusted and gotten used to not having it. IMHO, to get them back, Dish will have to offer a very very generous come back package.

For me, losing just a few shows and having to wait a few more months for 2nd run movies isn't worth the extra money for only 4-6 hours more of watching. Already the released StarTrek Discovery Season 1 on CBS. And you can buy the entire season 2 on DVD already, including Westworld.

For a couple of purchases you can get entire series and not have to pay for recurring movies over and over again as the replay through the month.

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I'm guessing that if HBO/Cinemax were to be once again made available on Dish it might be June 1st. Also, will Dish advertise it's return and sign up specifics or be content to let the subscribers figure it out themselves?

I have the everything package that at the time had HBO/Cinemax, will they simply restore it and raise my monthly price? If they didn't, my package wouldn't be "everything" anymore, would it?

I suppose the possibility exists that despite whatever is in testing, HBO/Cinemax may never return.

Reactions: edisonprime

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I have the everything package that at the time had HBO/Cinemax, will they simply restore it and raise my monthly price? If they didn't, my package wouldn't be "everything" anymore, would it?
It never was. ;)
Over the years, many things that people would have expected to be included in an "everything" package never got added, such as Multi-Sport and Epix.

I'm guessing that if HBO/Cinemax were to be once again made available on Dish it might be June 1st. Also, will Dish advertise it's return and sign up specifics or be content to let the subscribers figure it out themselves?
There are many new apps uplinked and in testing. Even if the ones on adjacent channel numbers (there were two sets of app uplinks on four adjacent channel numbers each time) are simply the same app customized for different versions of the Hopper, that still leaves a couple of possibilities. One possibility obviously is the HBO Max app, to accompany the return of HBO and Cinemax if that happens. Another possibility is the return of the Premium Showcase app, which was removed quite awhile back. It would make sense that if Dish actually has some Premiums back again, then they would want to bring back the Premium Showcase to actually Showcase them. ;) I am also guessing that we will start to see HBO ads in the standby screensaver again.

Reactions: TheKrell

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. This site is still up...

Keep My HBO
Yep, copyright 2018. So, no updates there since this dispute began. We'll see if that site is still there after May 19...
(One week after the original uplink. Dish tends to make channels with the Available (Limited) tag actually Available to subscribers within one or two weeks after the "(Limited)" uplink, with some notable rare exceptions. This makes May 19 and May 26 the two most likely dates, if HBO and Cinemax are going to return.)

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
(One week after the original uplink. Dish tends to make channels with the Available (Limited) tag actually Available to subscribers within one or two weeks after the "(Limited)" uplink, with some notable rare exceptions. This makes May 19 and May 26 the two most likely dates, if HBO and Cinemax are going to return.)
Nice parenthetical observation. ;) If Dish is going to all this trouble, one wonders why they haven't leaked the fact that it's coming back? They could put out a teaser as an advertisement.

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
If Dish is going to all this trouble, one wonders why they haven't leaked the fact that it's coming back? They could put out a teaser as an advertisement.
I am guessing the purpose of the software leap to H305 was to prepare the Hopper 3 for the return of HBO/Cinemax and the launch of the HBO Max app. Dish's automatic rollback to H301 today is not a good sign...

dennispap

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
May 9, 2007
Hammond, La.
I guess it is no surprise that dbstalk scooped SatelliteGuys on this news, since James Long is the one who posts the uplink reports. Still, that was many hours ago, and there was still no thread here by the time I posted this one. I guess no one else here reads the uplink reports anymore?
I do but didn't care. :)

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I wonder if maybe Dish got tired of us constantly discussing their false advertising with the monthly equipment fee for a purchased second Hopper 3, in the 2021 Dish Prices thread. (Should be $5, but most people with two Hopper 3's who have posted are still being charged $15.) So they were like "Let's do this uplink to distract those SatelliteGuys and give them something else to talk about for awhile. Maybe they will forget how we are screwing them over on their equipment fees."

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: MrDRC and TheKrell

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
It never was. ;)
Over the years, many things that people would have expected to be included in an "everything" package never got added, such as Multi-Sport and Epix.

There are many new apps uplinked and in testing. Even if the ones on adjacent channel numbers (there were two sets of app uplinks on four adjacent channel numbers each time) are simply the same app customized for different versions of the Hopper, that still leaves a couple of possibilities. One possibility obviously is the HBO Max app, to accompany the return of HBO and Cinemax if that happens. Another possibility is the return of the Premium Showcase app, which was removed quite awhile back. It would make sense that if Dish actually has some Premiums back again, then they would want to bring back the Premium Showcase to actually Showcase them. ;) I am also guessing that we will start to see HBO ads in the standby screensaver again.
Epix was included in the america top 250 package..that should automatically put it in the everything pack

Reactions: charlesrshell

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
I wonder if maybe Dish got tired of us constantly discussing their false advertising with the monthly equipment fee for a purchased second Hopper 3, in the 2021 Dish Prices thread. (Should be $5, but most people with two Hopper 3's who have posted are still being charged $15.) So they were like "Let's do this uplink to distract those SatelliteGuys and give them something else to talk about for awhile. Maybe they will forget how we are screwing them over on their equipment fees."
Methinks you need a hobby.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
It's been a long time for me so I don't remember how I got EPIX but my sister had the everything package without EPIX. She had to add the movie package to get it.
Some epix atleast..like drivein...you might be right about the extra hd pack thst has most of epix

Reactions: crodrules

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
What are all the apps currently on testing?
Nobody knows until they actually become available. Here is one uplink:
New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels Available
25088 APP (Application) added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25088 APP (Application) added to 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25089 APP (Application) added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25089 APP (Application) added to 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25090 APP (Application) added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25090 APP (Application) added to 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25091 APP (Application) added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25091 APP (Application) added to 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED

The timing (later in the same week as the HBO uplink that got this thread started) may be just a coincidence, but I think not.

Here is another set that was removed right before the above set was uplinked:
Uplinks Removed
25084 APP (Application) removed from 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden)
25084 APP (Application) removed from 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden)
25085 APP (Application) removed from 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden)
25085 APP (Application) removed from 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden)
25086 APP (Application) removed from 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden)
25086 APP (Application) removed from 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden)
25087 APP (Application) removed from 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden)
25087 APP (Application) removed from 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden)

This continues the tradition of Dish having to remove an app to make room for a new one.

These have been uplinked since December:
New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels Available
25080 APP (Application) added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25080 APP (Application) added to 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25081 APP (Application) added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25081 APP (Application) added to 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25082 APP (Application) added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25082 APP (Application) added to 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25083 APP (Application) added to 110° TP 21 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED
25083 APP (Application) added to 61.5° TP 10 (VOD XiP Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) xED

Each set involves four consecutive channel numbers, all uplinked at the same time. So, I am guessing that each uplink is a single app, customized to work with each model of Hopper.

Users who are viewing this thread