New uplink: HBO and Cinemax back in testing on Dish! (23 Viewers)

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
Well, I think this is probably due to AT&T's new focus on its far more profitable Warner Media and HBO (owned by Warner Media) holdings (in fact, a remember quote from AT&T CEO in the media that AT&T was "going all-in on HBO" ) as being key to AT&T's chance at improved financial success and pleasing Wall Street, and that means getting MORE revenue from the Warner holdings, especiallyHBO, and that means AT&T needs HBO on Dish in almost any form that will bring MORE money to HBO and AT&T.

I have a feeling that Dish is NOT going to agree to the terms the other MVPD's have because it is probably still too expensive. So, that leaves a possibility of something unique to Dish, probably a limited HBO presence that may focus on streaming and VOD a just a few linear channels, something that would not erode the value of the agreements that the other MVPD's have for the suite of HBO/Cinemax channels at other MVPD's

The ONLY content I would be interested in from HBO, and was seriously considering the on-line HBO service, was getting access to the Julia Davis comedies for which HBO still holds the rights, and that aren't available anywhere else and for which there are No DVD's for sale, while her other comedies are not part of HBO's rights.

I guess we'll have to see what happens.

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
One thought I had about the return of HBO/Cinemax and why it might be happening is that since AT&T sold that 30% stake in Direct to TPG who is in effect now running things, perhaps they're not as obstinate as AT&T was and want to maximize revenue through increasing the availability HBO/Cinemax by cutting a deal to return it to Dish.

Reactions: TheKrell

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
AT&T-Discovery Announce Merger That Will Radically Reshape Media Landscape

I wonder if this explains why the same uplink that brought HBO and Cinemax back (in testing) also involved testing putting Crime & Investigation on Investigation Discovery's current Dish channel number. That part of the uplink was quickly reversed by another uplink, though.

New Uplinks / Mappings – Channels Available
192 CI Crime & Investigation added to 110° TP 1 (SD Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited)
192 CI Crime & Investigation added to 72.7° TP 5 (SD MPEG4 Hidden) AVAILABLE (Limited) EPG linked to 110° TP 1 Ch 192

Uplinks Removed
192 CI Crime & Investigation removed from 110° TP 1 (SD Hidden)
192 CI Crime & Investigation removed from 72.7° TP 5 (SD MPEG4 Hidden)

crodrules

Your Happy Guru
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I have a feeling that Dish is NOT going to agree to the terms the other MVPD's have because it is probably still too expensive. So, that leaves a possibility of something unique to Dish, probably a limited HBO presence that may focus on streaming and VOD a just a few linear channels, something that would not erode the value of the agreements that the other MVPD's have for the suite of HBO/Cinemax channels at other MVPD's
Assuming that AT&T agrees to this, I think that this will give Dish leverage against the other Premium services, when the Showtime and Starz contracts come up for renewal. Dish can say that HBO and Cinemax agreed to be cut back to fewer channels, with some channels being relegated to streaming-only. So, Dish can seek the same deal from Showtime and/or Starz, or be willing to drop those services entirely for awhile, as Dish has already proven they were willing to do with HBO and Cinemax.

Reactions: charlesrshell

chiodo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 17, 2005
Pacific NW
Just announced that AT&T is selling Time Warner and it's TV Channels including HBO to Discovery for $43billon. So this is most likely the reason for having HBO back on Dish.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
At&t is indeed divesting from the Time Warner Deal. Articles (some) are very misleading. It will be a new media company headed by Discovery. At&t will have stock in it, not own the rights outright. It will be a new company and I already see Stock mangers saying it is only time till At&t sells off shares they own in that company too.

Discovery and WarnerMedia merge, creating one of the largest U.S. media companies (nbcnews.com)
"It's a major deal that allows AT&T to undo one of the largest media acquisitions in history: the 2016 purchase of Time Warner for $109 billion"

And a quote from the Breitbart story - "The deal to give up its media business marks a major shift by AT&T.."

chiodo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 17, 2005
Pacific NW
They didnt sell anything...they are merging
I hopelessly apologize for my mistakenly misinterpreted the phrase selling with merging. the Fact remains a Financial Transaction is taking place therefore someone is selling and someone is buying. The Term Merger is just corporate speak for that, so as not to freak out shareholders. in word that one of the two names and corporate directors will remain within the new company.

chiodo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 17, 2005
Pacific NW
Well, I just got charged for my next month of HBO Max, so I’m guessing something will happen in the next 7 days…of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transaction won't close until 2022, pending approval by Shareholders, Regulators, Board of Directors for Discovery as AT&T Board of Directors have already approved the deal. etc..
So nothing will change prior to closing. But getting back to topic I think HBO will return to Dish, much prior to that.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
I hopelessly apologize for my mistakenly misinterpreted the phrase selling with merging. the Fact remains a Financial Transaction is taking place therefore someone is selling and someone is buying. The Term Merger is just corporate speak for that, so as not to freak out shareholders. in word that one of the two names and corporate directors will remain within the new company.
Att still owns 70%

syphix

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Transaction won't close until 2022, pending approval by Shareholders, Regulators, Board of Directors for Discovery as AT&T Board of Directors have already approved the deal. etc..
So nothing will change prior to closing. But getting back to topic I think HBO will return to Dish, much prior to that.
That’s what I was referring to. Sorry I wasn’t more specific.

I just paid for a month of HBO Max = HBO now will return to Dish (I’d rather get it through Dish with linear channels to record along with all the other offerings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: crodrules

Users who are viewing this thread