New uplink: HBO and Cinemax back in testing on Dish! (11 Viewers)

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
I recently subscribed to HBO Max directly through HBO. Normally I would have done so with prime. The prime offering appears to be a basic HBO channel with none of the latest content I wanted to watch.
What's an example of that content? I've found everything I've been interested in, so far at least.....

The Fat Man

Poster of Randomness
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
Land where we pronounce our "R" as "ah"
What's an example of that content? I've found everything I've been interested in, so far at least.....
My understanding is that HBO Max has the extended content (everything HBO with more exclusive content). Whereas the Prime channel is essentially just standard HBO.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Reactions: crodrules

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
My understanding is that HBO Max has the extended content (everything HBO with more exclusive content). Whereas the Prime channel is essentially just standard HBO.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
For example...HBO max has the extended lord of the rings movies...prime version does not

Reactions: The Fat Man

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
For example...HBO max has the extended lord of the rings movies...prime version does not
IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: dishdude

joegr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 8, 2010
Gulfport
I log in to HBO Max using my Amazon Prime credentials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but you are also paying for HBO. Those of us with only Amazon Prime can't do this without also subscribing to HBO via Amazon.

Similarly, I can log into Starz with my Dish credentials, but only because I am paying Dish for the Starz package.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
Yes, but you are also paying for HBO. Those of us with only Amazon Prime can't do this without also subscribing to HBO via Amazon.

Similarly, I can log into Starz with my Dish credentials, but only because I am paying Dish for the Starz package.

I’m not paying for HBO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiodo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 17, 2005
Pacific NW

NashGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 24, 2009
Nashville, TN USA
Correct. HBO contains about 4,000 hours of content while HBO Max has about 13,000 hours (including the entire HBO library). So over three times as much, including its own exclusive line of new Max Originals (series, movies, docs), plus more theatrical movies (including lots of classic films) as well as lots of past seasons/entire series of TV shows from various networks (e.g. Friends, Snowpiercer, Luther, South Park, Big Bang Theory, etc.), including a fair bit of foreign TV like BBC shows.

So there's a whole lot that you can watch in the app but can't watch anywhere else. Note that this non-HBO stuff, which is exclusive to the app, will be the content that will have ads if you opt for the cheaper $10/mo plan that will become available in early June. The current $15/mo plan, where everything is ad-free, will remain available. The HBO library will be ad-free in both plans (although I'm not sure if that means only HBO Originals or also includes the theatrical films that are currently part of the HBO library, such as Tenet and Greenland).

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2012
Zack Snyder’s Justice League.
I remember when BvS came out, everybody hated Zack Snyder, now everyone loves him and his take on Justice League and even BvS. I actually really liked both of them (and always have), but it’s obvious a good portion of the population either like or dislike something only because of other people’s opinions.

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
I remember when BvS came out, everybody hated Zack Snyder, now everyone loves him and his take on Justice League and even BvS. I actually really liked both of them (and always have), but it’s obvious a good portion of the population either like or dislike something only because of other people’s opinions.
I liked Snyders Justice league but didn't like that he did it in Full screen rather than wide screen. His explanation was he wanted the total IMAX experience. The problem is that this IMAX experience is relatively short lived with the rest of the showings having a much longer life on wide screen in theatres and home video.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2012
Which channels does Spectrum TV Choice carry, and how much does their package cost? I may have to make the same decision soon.
(Sorry I haven’t responded to this post until just now.)

HBO-E
HBO-W
HBO 2-E
HBO 2-W
HBO Signature-E
HBO Signature-W
HBO Family-E
HBO Family-W
HBO Comedy-E
HBO Comedy-W
HBO Zone-E
HBO Zone-W
HBO Latino-E
HBO Latino-W
Cinemax-E
Cinemax-W
Moremax-E
Moremax-W
Actionmax-E
Actionmax-W
Thrillermax-E
Thrillermax-W
5 Star Max
Moviemax
Outermax
Cinemax Espanol

Keep in mind that there are also duplicates of some of those channels (2 of a few of those channels), so no they are not additional ones, and I believe the prices are similar, and I believe you get promotional prices the first year or two (can’t remember which). Spectrum TV Choice has two cloud DVR tiers and is no where close to the Hopper 3. I’m going to let you do your own research on that since I’m typing this on my phone. You also need to subscribe to their internet as well to get their streaming plan and you still have to have their 10 channels choice from a list as well as locals and a few other channels on top of HBO and Cinemax (they have other premium channels as well), but you can’t subscribe to the premium channels on their own with Spectrum TV Choice.

Reactions: crodrules

Users who are viewing this thread