New User and Dish's answer to self install

Barry Erick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Dallas
I ordered dish and insisted on self install.
I am put on hold for the CS to talk to "their supervisor". I am told... "if the installer agrees, I can help". I insist again. I am told "It is up to the installer if they will just drop it off".
Then someone gets on the phone to confirm the order. Says the same thing.

I am in email contact with Dish already because I wanted to make sure what I got could be split to two dishes because of how obstructions are, I can't see three sats from one spot in the yard, but can see all three from two spots in the yard and currently use two dishes with DirecTV, but the dishes are the older ones where the switch is not part of the lnb. They eventually tell me there is no self-install and that I talked to a supervisor. Wrong... at no time did anyone say they were a supervisor. I point out that on the website under installer, they mention their self-install kit is free with a system on request and not available seperately. I am told the same story by Dish on self-install... up to installer. Now I look at a FAQ and guess what I see? Here is the link:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/installation/single_dish_faq/index.shtml#aq4

For the second dish, I have one and I will not pay to install it. Wiring is in, it goes inplace of the DirecTV dish looking at 119 only, It is a Plus dish to go with the main Superdish that will see 105 and 110 along with the DP-34

They scheduled the "delivery or install" for Saturday between 9 and 5. I already told them once 5:30pm comes, no one is home (Hockey time!) :) :( :confused:

You might have to play "CSR Roulette" to get the answer you want, however if they are sending someone out then it won't matter, you'll probalby have to deal with it when they are there. I called up a year or so back when I heard about the free 2nd dish for locals and was told the same thing as you. When the installer came out and didn't want to put the dish where I wanted it, I said "fine, can you leave it and let me do it?". He had to call dish and have me talk to someone to waive the installation guarantee, which was fine with me. He even left me about 100' of RG6 that I didn't need at the time. :)

Problem is that the plus dish will not work with a single sat DP LNB unless you modify it. Now, you could try to swap out the 3 sat W for a 2 sat D500 Y, and you may be ok at that point. D*'s Plus dish used rectangular arm LNBs, whreas all DP are D Horn. If you have a 18" D Horn on the 101, you could swap the plus out for it. This is one of the reasons they don't like SD's to be self installed. I would wait till the installer got there, show him what you have and what you need to do, and help him do it(or at least have him put the pole in for the SD anyway). Good luck.

You can use a superdish for 105 only than use a D500 for 110/119.

Heck, you can use three dishes if you are up to it, for line of sight reasons.

You might have a problem getting an installer to do that for you. Many complications on the back end. They're more likely to tell you you have no line of sight and move on.

I'd suggest if he says that then sign off on the install saying you want only 105 installed, then go EBay a D500 or two with some DP LNBF's.

I know I can use Super for 105 and 110 and ignore its 119 to use a seperate dish for 119. I have checked with others here, on the newsgroups, with dealers, and with dish. All say it will work as the SD comes with a DP34

bcshields said:
You can use a superdish for 105 only than use a D500 for 110/119.

Heck, you can use three dishes if you are up to it, for line of sight reasons.

You might have a problem getting an installer to do that for you. Many complications on the back end. They're more likely to tell you you have no line of sight and move on.

I'd suggest if he says that then sign off on the install saying you want only 105 installed, then go EBay a D500 or two with some DP LNBF's.

SD will be used for 105 and 110. I will already have the 119 hooked up and run to where the switch will go. My two dishes for DirecTV are similar... 101 and 110 on one and 119 on the other going to the switch in the garage. Right now I have 3 RG 6's from the roof and 2 from the 119 dish out back.

Keep in mind that no installer is allowed to mount a Super Dish, even using the proper supporting brackets, on a roof anymore - period. Per Dish. Too big & bulky as a 38" wide dish; just a wind catcher and most roofers void their warranty because of holes being drilled (same with smaller dishes on that point). I work in about 5 states and not 1 DNSC allows this anymore, even if it means losing the customer. Personally, I won't even service one on the roof - once my name goes in E-Connect, I own that job and that liability, even if I just realigned the dish or replace a fitting. If the installer calls ahead, you may want to discuss the placement of the SD before he arrives.

You could probably buy the dish yourself from someone here, but do your best to get a type 2 dish (hard to find) as they are easier to assemble and site in much better/easier.

farmsatguy means no DNSC installer that HE'S familiar with can do a roof mount.

That does NOT mean that it can't be done if that's what you want.

I don't know if he means a roofers warranty or an insurance clause. But since I was and am the roofer, I know what is under the roof where I am currently at and that is extra bracing.

The installer called today and left a number so I will call back between things tomorrow which include working the President Bush visit in the morning. There is a better view of 110 (105 is no sweat) from the end of the house than on the roof, but I won't touch my siding. Once touched it is a mess to fix if the dish is taken off. I know... I did it once. I also installed the siding. No, I am not a construction guy. I am an engineer in TV and worked with both DirecTV and Dish to get on Local on Local.

Was I referring to insurance? Nope, just the warranty the roofer provides which typically means don't drills in my roof. If you do and you have any problems in that area, don't call me, it's now your problem.

BTW, wouldn't work for DNSC even if I had no other choice - as a subcontractor, I clean up too much crap from other subs let alone DNSC. I was just on a TC where DNSC mounted a D500 on a 40' telephone pole, never sited in 119 because of a tree line (and yes, there were plenty of other places to put it to get both signals), left all the cables above ground, and didn't bother to ground the system. Burned his ass on a reinstall. Did I mention, never even installed the backfeed line from the 522 to the other room! Wonder why that TV wouldn't work?

Of course, I know plenty of subs the same way. The difference for me, is that I don't have a bunch of folks to answer to (DNSC) that can't even get their own house clean. You'd almost expect some the subs to be jack-legs and half assed, but those who work directly for Dish? That's kinda pitiful if you ask me.

I know probably 40-50 techs; of those I know 0 who will mount it on the roof - Dish says NO, my dispatch says NO, the company I sub for says NO, so...NO...whether you built the house or not. For us, it is either on a steel pole driven in the ground & cemented, or you're SOL!

My co worker told his installer he wanted the sd go on the side of the house OR a mount in the yard and the installer refused and put it on the roof. He really blew his top when I showed him your message.

There is no spot on my property that can see 105 110 and 119 without being at least as roof height. the 119 is definately where I will put it before the installer comes tomorrow, and if it takes two dishes to do 110 and 105 instead of one, so be it. But it _is_ going on the roof. Dish today told me I could if I wave the 90 day install, which does not bother be one bit. That warranty does not include the receivers or switch, I am told.

Just for reference, my preference is a wall-mount (with brace legs) for a SD or similar size unit. If it's good enough for a Direcway with transmitter, it's good enough for anything else.

Of course, there's almost no vinyl siding around here. Lots of T-111. :)

I did a Google search for Superdish Installation and found several pictures including an installer standing next to a roof mounted sd. By and large, though, they were not roof mounted. We'll see. Install in this afternoon and I just took my 119 DirecTV dish down and put my Dish pro on it. Tis tuned as I am using it's H on Direct right now. I mounted it because it is on a tree and the Direct one has been there since Direct started using 119 years ago.
There is room for a pole there, but the tree has worked fine. It has less losses in bad weather than the roof mounted eliptical that gets the 110 and 101. Maybe the installer will use something other than the superdish to get 110 and 105. Just so the DP34 shows up.

=======================

5:30pm. Just received a call that the installer is delayed and will be here between 9:30 and 10:30 pm tonight! :confused: In the Dark? I wonder what that would look like. I asked about first thing tomorrow, and it is now scheduled for 8am Sunday. :) It is supposed to rain :(

And to make matters worse.... I was going to be not available at this time today (5:30) as I have to get to a AHL hockey game (as fan and as other duties) but due to a massive water main break that closed resturant row, the mall and 3 shopping strips besides the areana, the game has been postponed. :( If the installer showed now, it would have been ok.

This weekend with installers:

Saturday no installers but they called with a blown head gasket. Rescheduled for Sunday at 8am.

Sunday at 8:45am they arrived. Looked over the situation.. Will not use my 119 dish without trying "approved" ways. Will not allow a drop off and full self install.

To my suprise they find a spot in the yard that a pole will see all three! But, here is my chance. $100 for the pole or I self install the pole and they do the trench since it will be less than 50 feet. But it can't be done today. I do the pole and they come back Nov 7th. This team only and I schedule it with Dish for 8am that day. After they leave I get the old compass out, take off the 8 degrees for this location and check it out. Wow... clears the neighbors roof by an inch or so from my height and the dish will be a foot higher. 119 misses the house and is over the trees

One problem. This location is right out the kitchen sink window where it will bother both my wife and myself.

Solution: First: Make sure switch is NOT mounted on dish. SD, by the way, is type II. The one that cracks.
Second: If Dish is in ugly spot, it will be removed and the pole? Well, it won't come out easy.. I can get 110 and 105 from a low spot at the side of my garage or patio and I will install how I would in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)