New VA-VA-VOOMER!!!!

nickv

Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Recently got a fabulous Mits 62" DLP and was dying to get some quality HD on it. After searching I realized I had missed the $0 down promo for Voom but called in - they gave me 3 months of Va Va Voom for $1 as a "special promo" or something - wanted Va Va Voom anyway so it worked out for me...

Anyway - the install was scheduled for today - had to go to work and I just gotta say it must be incredible. My wife - the same person whose arm I had to twist (hard) and convince for 3 months in order to get the HD (what the hell difference is it anyway) and whose been unimpressed by my beautiful TV so far - just called. She said VOOM's installed using DVI-HDMI cable that I left and her exact words: "of all the junk you buy this is the most amazing thing ever"... don't know what channel she's watching but it has vista's of Hawaii and she swears she can count the blades of grass. Her comment to me - you need to get a larger TV so that we don't see all this other stuff around it. She's actually ASKING me to turn one of our rooms into a TV room with a front projection system etc. ?!!!!@@@@!!$#@#

Never thought I'd see the day... THANK YOU VOOM!

(P.S: I've seen the E* and D* HD offerings at friends/neighbors houses and she's never been impressed, even when I have been).

Me so happY! I wanna go home (I'm stuck at work).

Must be EquatorHD, just don't let her see the mosquito noise or she'll make you rip it out.

I heard rumors that somebody had signed up after the $0 down promotion had ended. Guess it was you.

Nice TV! I had to convince mrs. voombot that plasma was needed :) Now she bugs me asking why this show isnt in HD or how nice something would look in HD. Her fav. channel is UltraHD, at least until HGTV comes along, she would watch that on a 13 in B/W tv. Welcome to the forum.

txcruiser said:
I heard rumors that somebody had signed up after the $0 down promotion had ended. Guess it was you.
Do the math, the 3 mos of free VaVaVoom that he got should make the deal comparable to the $0 down ;)

Theres pros and cons with V*, but I suspect you were already aware of that before leaping and getting a subscription, so welcome aboard and keep the positive aspects of it in the forefront....and the negatives won't be so bad.

The amount of programming (fluff and all) is unbeatable for the present price.

Actually 3 free months of VVV is better than $200 down....

Yo nickv welcome to the forum!!! Could be Hawaii thing that's showing on Discovery HD Theatre.. please contribute to the forum and let's mold Voom into the service we all want it to be.

Thanks all - I've lurked on this forum and avsforum for months prior to making my decisions regarding the TV and the HD content I wanted on it. I hear all the negs about the svc. but given that my cable provider doesn't give me HD and the E*, D* don't have enough channels to justify my $$$ in HD AND they are stupid enough not to offer installation of an OTA antenna when they don't have any networks - c'mon get a clue E*/D*, I want my locals or networks at least. So that means V*'s the best HD game in town.

I've got a CC that's pretty disposable in that I can cancel if I want to, but I'm a patient guy and I'm not as picky as some regarding quality or billing issues, I'll deal with them... the installer that showed up came 10 mins before time and was pretty thorough in doing the job even asking my wife if we had the DVI-HDMI cable, since V* only comes with a DVI-DVI cable.

I've got my fingers crossed and u know there's no commitment + I net out to -$70 ($90 programming * 3 - $199) + taxes and all so I'll take it for 3 mos and see what happens. My wife's already telling me to sign up for a year if it means we can get another receiver for free (upfront) and buy another TV - course when I tell her what that means in terms of her kitchen upgrade we'll see what her priorities really are ;-)

Looking forward to enjoying Voom and contributing here about how it can be made better. I really want this thing to work and teach the E*'s and D* a lesson on catering to high-value customers.

C'mon you know the guys that will spring for an HDTV, beg, yell and scream for an HD-DVR and buy almost any package you throw at them are the customers to court right ECHOSTAR and DIRECTV???

C ya in HD land!!!

nickv said:
I've got my fingers crossed and u know there's no commitment + I net out to -$70 ($90 programming * 3 - $199) + taxes and all so I'll take it for 3 mos and see what happens.

Unfortunately, if you do decide to leave after just 3 months then you will be hurting Voom alot more than you will be helping it (around $600 I think is the dollar figure going around these days that an install is costing Voom.)
So stay on board as long as you can for the good of Voom.

stay on board for the good of Voom as long as you can? some things make you scratch your head. Voom needs to realize that this is a business not a hobby. Users are not going to stay on board for the good of Voom. They will stay if the service is better than cable and Directv. But the gap is closing. And with 4 real satellite launches in the next 2 years for D*, it may be over for Voom.

Welcome and forget the people who spend more time posting than watching HDTV.

Just have fun....what with 40 HDTV channels!

But the gap is closing. And with 4 real satellite launches in the next 2 years for D*, it may be over for Voom

Yea, and like if Bush wins, all the Domocrats will die and go away, or vice versa.

Vooms a winner, they were smarter than D* as to HDtv, and they "do" have plans too.

BTW, I'd highly recommend you get a standalone Tivo until vooms pvr comes thru. Tivo's are only like $50 (after rebates) now, and it will allow you to record some of those great voom channels, when your away. The nice thing I discovered is with your HDtv, you get like 6x9 ratio on all voom HD channels. Well, tivo will record these channels (in sd naturally), but keep the 6x9 ratio. That in itself is a great feature to have for recording and playing on HDtv's. And you'll also notice the picture quality, from tivo recording voom hd channels (in sd naturally), is excellent. Not HD but really really close. So add a Tivo to your voom setup, until those pvr's come out for us. (note: tivo's wont record the ota HD locals, but it suports all vooms satellite channels and works great with it)

i'm looking to sub to voom soon do you think if you ask for the $1 vvvoom special they will offer it to everyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts