New VOOM Member!

magnetic1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Hey guys!

Just wanted to drop a note ... this site was a great help in my decision making process!

Now I just need Installs Inc to come out!

Cant wait!

magnetic1, WELCOME to the forum!

VOOM is every bit as good as you hope it will be, once you get past the install. Ours was painless, but you never know. We have been Voomin' for just 2 days and highly recommend it. And this forum is excellent.

Welcome, Mag1!

If you can get thru the install and initial bugs to the software upgrade, you've got it made! It's well worth it, IMO!

I signed up for VOOM today too!! This forum was a great help and I'm spending more time here now then on the D* forums. Install set for 6/4 - can't wait.

i got voomed yesterday, except for no program planner and when the dvi cable is hooked to my tv, when i turn the tv off, the rec goes off also, but i love the channels and the pic quality havent gotten any local channels yet but they are coming back to install a antenna with an amp on it, i am well pleased with voom!!!

Welcome to the mostly happy family! Good luck with the install. They are getting more experienced as time goes by.

magnetic1 said:
Hey guys!

Just wanted to drop a note ... this site was a great help in my decision making process!

Now I just need Installs Inc to come out!

Cant wait!
Dont get discouraged with the antenna hassle and it can be a hassle. But let me tell ya there simply is no better picture than what you can get off a digital antenna if your local affiliates are giving you full bandwidth on the HD, the sd is also better than any provider. I would adivse you to research the antenna you need Directional vs omnidirectional. Even contact the local station engineers and see what they recommend. Many can be contacted at station websites.

This site will help you select the proper antenna http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
often the stealth antenna Voom supplies is not the proper one. This site will also give you the direction of all the station antennas in your area. Narrow it down to just the digital ones. Dont get discouraged a friend of mine ended up getting a channelmaster 4228 for free. If your not happy complain to Voom, Installs Inc has a way of not wanting to get it right and telling you they will charge extra. Just call Voom and have them handle installs Inc if you have problems. But more importantly you should be sure of what you need, dont rely on installers who dont deal with OTA reception and say o well I guess you wont get locals.

Rob in NY said:
I signed up for VOOM today too!! This forum was a great help and I'm spending more time here now then on the D* forums. Install set for 6/4 - can't wait.

My installation is 6/4 as well! :)

Thanks for all the tips guys... I already called VOOM today to add a 2nd receiver after reading that you get charged installation fees later on... :)

Is there a FAQ page somewherethat shows what all these acronyms stand for? I couldnt find it on a quick browse... I know OTA means the local antenna.. the STB i assume is the box....

I also looked on antennaweb and it shows that all my stations are roughly 20 miles away in the same direction.... which is good I assume!

Also, with regard to DVI. I just realized that my TV doesnt have a DVI input :( I could have SWORD it did, but it appears to use regular RCA cables. The manual says ... OOOO I just found out what STB stands for :) Set-Top-Box :) (it was in my TV manual ;) ) Anyhow... no DVI on my tv .. will this kill m HDTV picture quality?? My TV(Panasonic CT-32HL42) says it is HDTV ready... but bear w/ me guys, Im new to all this!

If you want to talk tires... I'll help you there :p

magnetic1,
You can use Component (Y/Pb/Pr) connections and this will work great too! Connections are described on page 10 of your manual. It looks like your TV set supports 1080i, but not 720p, so make sure to switch the STB to 1080i mode. Good luck!

magnetic1 said:
My installation is 6/4 as well! :)
I just scheduled my isntall today for 6/21 - four days after we close on our first house! I had been planning on adding a second receiver for an SD TV in the living room (RPTV will be in the family room), but decided to save the $15/month. However, a thought just dawned on me after reading your post. I can always get the second receiver, and if we don't use it much the first month, return it right away. They won't take away the lines, right? Then, if we ever get a second HDTV, we've already got the lines run, and we don't have to fork over the install cash.... :rolleyes:

Of course, we could find that we really like having it on the SD TV, and keep it!

I was just installed May 22 and everything went smooth. I am blown away with pq on some of the channels. Called D* and cancelled everything down to basic (still need my Sci-Fi and DIY) and Tivo. Will drop all D* when PVR is released.

scottie_h said:
I just scheduled my isntall today for 6/21 - four days after we close on our first house! I had been planning on adding a second receiver for an SD TV in the living room (RPTV will be in the family room), but decided to save the $15/month. However, a thought just dawned on me after reading your post. I can always get the second receiver, and if we don't use it much the first month, return it right away. They won't take away the lines, right? Then, if we ever get a second HDTV, we've already got the lines run, and we don't have to fork over the install cash.... :rolleyes:

Of course, we could find that we really like having it on the SD TV, and keep it!

I had not even thought about that! THat's genious!

Hopefully I'll be all setup next week! When does Installs Inc call you to confirm your appointment? I havent heard anything yet from them.

ONE WEEK TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts