New VOOM Offer: $199 installation starting 6/1/04

batags said:
just got installed today and now i have no signal great
Welcome to the world of Voom. :) Isn't it great! Heh.

Actually, I'm still going thru my install nightmare. Tech is going to come out tomorrow and re-wire the antenna and replace my OTA tuner module.

Seriously tho, I can't wait for my OTA problems to be fixed (I'm close too -- I think!). The Voom HD stuff is amazing! Theres no going back to SD from HD.

As for the thread, I would so recommend no commitment at all. Installs have been a nightmare, and if they don't have the ability to correctly install the system (dish, OTA and box), then they should not require a commitment from you at all. I would hate to get stuck with a system that didn't get installed correctly that doesn't work fully, and have to pay big $$$ to get out.

Just my thoughts...
-John

babyj said:
so if u UNINSTALL after may do u have to pay for the uninstallation?? cause i dont plan to keep voom. after nba finals voom = out the door.

Nobody pays for Uninstallation. Never heard of it even with E* or D* and not with V*.

Looks like I'm sliding into 1st base just before the inrease!
Install setup for the 26th.... I called INSTALLS,Inc., and asked for the contractors number, they won't give it out but will have him call me....
I'm still waiting.

I just want to confirm the date, time and choice of eqpt so there will be NO confusion on the "BIG" day...... and liviong in a condo, I'd really like for him to do a "pre-inspection" of the property, but I know that's not gonna happen.

I have a very un-easy feeling about this... I'm waiting with "baited breath" (I've heard that expression before, don't really know what it means, though)!

Pray for me! :no

Where is the commitment through DTV?

You can still cancel within 30 days, I did with no problems.

I can see adding a commitment _or_ paying $199.99 install charge. Basically they will waive the installation fee if you sign a two year committment. That's pretty standard fare. Paying $200 and then having to pick up the commitment is ridiculous.

200 Installation Fee

:mad: Voom what are you thinking. I can see an agreement with some compensation, but d* and e* give stuff away for free and don't charge for installs. The masses are not going to pay a $200 install fee. Maybe the upper end of the market will, but others will go to d* or e*.

With only 8K subs what are you guys thinking. Now, if you had inhd1, inhd2, hdnet, and local fox sports in hd along with USA HD, TNT HD then I could see people paying $200.00 for install + equipment because you can't get all of that HD anywhere else, but we don't have all those channels. I just don't think the current lineup is robust enought to warrant a $200 installation fee at this point in time.

My local cable company offers free installation and they have Starz, Showtime, HBO, Discovery HD, ESPN, Locals, Inhd1, Inhd2 and have announce HDnet. Plus their SD lineup is very extensive. With two hd receivers and two dvrs the price is $103.00

VOOM, please concentrate on attracting new subs instead of concentrating on raising prices. Unless you guys have something magical up your sleeves PLEASE reconsider this policy.

Ken

> I got the promotional letter and it states that after 5/31/04 installation is $199. No mentioning of any commitment. <

Thanks, Sean. If I can install it myself, I have no problem with that. If I'm forced to accept installation, and pay $199 for something I could do better myself, then I wouldn't be happy.

If I sign up for Voom now, but the install doesn't happen until after May31st, is the $199 still waived?

If I get Voom and one Plus Pack, do they charge a fee to switch from one Plus Pack option to another?

- Tim

babyj said:
so if u UNINSTALL after may do u have to pay for the uninstallation?? cause i don't plan to keep voom. after nba finals voom = out the door.

I'm in the wireless phone market, so every day, I hear all about contracts. I must say, most companies have a buyer's remorse period. This period can last a week to a month at best. This is stated in the terms of service. So we'll have to get a copy of the new terms of service to verify this.

Personally, I hold some really bad feelings toward contracts, but being in the business, I see that they're just a necessary evil at this point. Service provider must find ways to subsidize the upfront price at activation to make their product more appealing, yet, they must have a way to validate these costs. You can't just give away a product for free, and hope people will stay with you. The only companies that can pull this off are those that are more established, have a huge customer base, and promote a general confidence about the quality of the product they sell.

I do see this $199.99 for VOOM activation has been posted. Now I have a problem with this. If we pile up all the nightmare activation stories on this forum and others alike, we'd see that Vooms activations ARE NOT worth $199.99. You have kids.... KIDS coming out to your house with grandma's car and performing the installation. The installation service is a JOKE. Installs INC.... A JOKE!!! Most people would hav walked away from a failed installation attempt, let alone 3 failed installation attempts. Now, you want people to put their money down on something that CANNOT be guaranteed(as I was told twice by installs inc).

The way the wireless market works(and it's a very successful model, considering the 86% saturation rate) is that you give the dealer's commission on the SUCCESSFUL activation of your product. You have total quality control over these said dealers. If you cancel your service within a certain time frame, dealers lose that commission. It's a very successful model. So if the $199.99 is to cover the cost of dealer's pushing the service...fine. If you're sending out installs INC at this price, FORGET IT!!! Voom should charge the $199.99, and have CERTIFIED VOOM INSTALLERS COME OUT to your house, install the system, explain how it works. $199.99 should gaurantee the consumer the larger dish, and GAURANTEED OTA RECEPTION, NO MATTER WHAT THE ANTENNA!!! :shocked

BTW- if I had to sign on for two years, I would never have done it. If it were one year, I would have thought harder, but looked the other way.

Voom denies deal

I just called VOOM and they said they would not install a second receiver for $9.95/month, but wanted $199 for the install of a second receiver plus the $9.95. So this deal is already DEAD.

After going around and around, they said the free install deal is only for new subscribers to June 1.

Then I thought all I need is a cable from the antenna, they said no way.

Why should I pay for some guy from installs inc to come out to my house install a cable and charge me $200, just for me to have to rectify his errors after he leaves?

So I hung up.

Guess I will have to just go with one receiver. Voom is starting to get prickly (even omit the 'l')

Ti-maniac said:
Why should I pay for some guy from installs inc to come out to my house install a cable and charge me $200, just for me to have to rectify his errors after he leaves?
Did you ordered 2 receivers originally? If so they should fix it without any extra-charge.

Voom is starting to look more like Doomed to me, They charge for the equipment which both Dish and Direct give for free, they want to charge for installs which both Dish and Direct give for free. The basic package on Voom costs more on Voom than Dish or Direct. And the line up is spotty to say the best on the SD side

Try selling that to Joe Sixpack and his Hippo wife.

Even though both Dish and Direct actually do charge for HD equipment, the average consumer will not factor that in and will not go for it. Especially since Voom's only outlet is the useless sales crew at Sears. My local Sears knew nothing about it and didn't even have it working.

As a seperate point, most TV sales are still in the 4x3 format . While sales in HD are rising many of these are in 4x3 HD ready sets. The 16x9 sets are in the Projection/Plasma group, which are high profit but not high volume bracket. Voom needs to cater to these people with more SD channels or they can kiss any chance to suceed goodbye.

I worked in the Biz for 13 years, I got fed up dealing with morons and moved on. Most people look strickly at the price tag and the set that Consumers Reports picked on top.

Karl said:
Voom is starting to look more like Doomed to me, They charge for the equipment which both Dish and Direct give for free, they want to charge for installs which both Dish and Direct give for free. The basic package on Voom costs more on Voom than Dish or Direct. And the line up is spotty to say the best on the SD side

Try selling that to Joe Sixpack and his Hippo wife.

Even though both Dish and Direct actually do charge for HD equipment, the average consumer will not factor that in and will not go for it. Especially since Voom's only outlet is the useless sales crew at Sears. My local Sears knew nothing about it and didn't even have it working.

I'm sorry, but what HD install/receiver is D* giving away for free? Sure, they'll install you a HD setup for $299 and give you the receiver. But that's not free. I do believe E* is looking more and more attractive in terms of price and service.

cyuhnke said:
I'm sorry, but what HD install/receiver is D* giving away for free? Sure, they'll install you a HD setup for $299 and give you the receiver. But that's not free. I do believe E* is looking more and more attractive in terms of price and service.

Re read my post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)