New Voomer as of Sat. 23rd

fredramsey

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Columbus, Ohio: Prostar Digital came Saturday just before noon. Installation went pretty smooth. Thankfully he let me hook up the STB myself - no one but me could intrepret the veritable rat's nest of wires behind my gear.

I am running the STB into a Component Video input on my Mistubishi 62" DLP set. Tried both Component and DVI/HDMI. Could not tell an appreciable difference, so I'm leaving my DVD player on the HDMI, and Voom on Component. Set to 720p, as that is the native resolution of the set. At first the 3:4 programming was stretched, but I found the place in the setup to correct that. I, for one, can't stand watching Fathead TV ;)

Over the air channels are somewhat spotty, but I really doubt I'll be watching them very often.

Of course I did some serious channel surfing at first, closely examining picture quality. When I did settle down to watch something, it turned out to be a channel I never thought I'd watch even once: Auction HD. They were devoting the whole day Saturday to car auctions. Wow. I couldn't take my eyes off it. Watched about 2-3 hours worth.

Movies, as far as I am concerned, are defintely hit or miss. Some are obviously better than DVD upconverted, some are just plain crappy. One that I found to be a very good transfer was S.W.A.T. on one of the premium channels. Very nice. Oh, and the sound on most of the channels is incredible. And black and white movies look especially nice for some reason.

Favorite channels: Discovery HD Theater, Equator HD, and Bravo HD. Fantastic, worth the price of admission for those three alone.

Complaints: When using the All Channels from the menu, the menu acts like you would expect and has the highlight showing on the current channel. However, when using the HD Only menu, it always comes up on channel 100. Guys, this is basic user interface design. Oh, and if you really want to improve the guide, just model it after TiVo, please!

All-in-all, I am very happy with Voom. I feel very privledged to be able to experience true HD in my home. Discovery HD and Equator HD have already made me feel like I have actually been to some of the places they have shown me. It certainly is not without its faults, but that's what happens when you are on the bleeding edge.

Happy Vooming, everyone! :D

Welcome fredramsey. You may also try leaving your stb on 1080i and see if your TV can do a better job of scaling since I've found Voom's stb isn't all that great. My pj is 720p and I send it a Native signal and let it control the scaling and formatting.

Welcome to Voom

Welcome to Voom. I have had voom for 7 months and just love watching on my Mitsubishi 65 inch set. My favorite channel is Equator HD. It is better than traveling to Europe. My favorite series is Smart Travels with Rudi Maxa. I have seen the Riviera, Sicily, Sailed down the Rhine River, seen villages in Brussels and Holland all in 1080i in the comfort of my armchair without my American Express card . Nothing like EQuator HD. Wait till you watch movies on Starz in HD , you will never buy a dvd ever again. Voom rules and the best is yet to come. Hopefully DVR before end of year, and MPEG 4. We will blow direct tv in the dust.

Note, new-Voomers. There are also travel specials on RUSH 124 and ULTRA 126 from time to time. Just saw a great RIO special on ULTRA. Also, RUSH has some fantastic footage of snow sports, surfing and X-games. Welcome. Among my favorites are the movies from the 70's & 80's on Cinema 10. Many are classics and you can't even rent them at video stores anymore; also the 10 additional premium HD movie channels (HBO, SHOW, STARZ, MAX, TMC, ENCORE) and VOOM is the only service to off ALL of them. Native mode is a must for maxiumum enjoyment of all the channels. Allows you to control the picture size with the SD channels. Enjoy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts