New XM Radio on D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mthom

Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Does anyone know if the new XM radio channels will be recordable with our DVR's? That would be a nice addition, recording games, talk, and maybe a little music. Anyone know why the old channels weren't recordable?

Thanks,
Michael

If you are using a digital connection to record, then it is probably the DRM chip preventing recording, you should be able to record using an analog connection.

I can record sirius on my E* DVR, so you should be fine...

and while it may be the E* compression, or a buggy DVR (not sure), it doesn't take up the same amount of space as an equally long (time-wise) television show since there's really nothing on screen but text...

But you should be able to record.

That will be nice!

Has anyone else tried to Tivo one of the current D* music channels? When I tried it in the past I just got a message - "can't record audio channels". Just curious.

I use a ReplayTV and can record then just fine. I then use the built in ethernet to transfer the files to my PC so I can extract the audio. I will see if I have one as an example.

I think the problem was tivo, it's not designed for audio-only (although, why it determines that it's any different is beyond me, maybe because there's no real channel guide like regular tv channels?). When D* built their DVR they should know that they've got audio and you should be able to record it like any other channel. It's really no different, it's video/audio, what's the problem...

I mean, if E* can do it, D* damn well should be able to figure it out...

Purogamer said:
I mean, if E* can do it, D* damn well should be able to figure it out...

I don't think it's disabled due to technical incompetence. I'm reasonably certain the D* TiVo can't record Music Choice because it would be in violation of D*'s licensing contract with Music Choice.

I would be surprised if the XM deal were any different -- I don't think XM would want 2 million D* subscribers instantly less interested in buying XM2Go products, which are more or less Satellite Radio DVRs.

H

Barneypoo69 said:
D* will carry XM raidio

XM radio

My question is, what kind of compression is D* using (MP3 or ??).

Barney

XM Radio has a proprietary SDARS compression scheme. I think it tops out at 64kbps, but sounds equivalent to 192kbps MP3 to my ears.

It's definitely not audiophile quality, though.

Hogarth said:
XM Radio has a proprietary SDARS compression scheme. I think it tops out at 64kbps, but sounds equivalent to 192kbps MP3 to my ears.

It's definitely not audiophile quality, though.

Thank you Hogarth!
Can you say what XM does on their "pay" channel/receivers ? Is it very compressed anyway? MP3 is okay for joggers & maybe our auto systems, but for our Home Theaters .......just background music?

Barney

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts