New York City EAS on Sirius 80s?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kd4ned

Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
The WEIRDEST thing ever just happened to me...

I was sitting here listening to channel 6008 (Sirius Big 80s) and, in the middle of a song, it goes dead, plays the normal chirp tones used whenever a weather warning/amber alert/etc. are issued, followed by that long annoying 80s-style emergency alert tone. Then there was a message explaining that this is a test of New York (City, I think)'s Emergency Alert System, along with the usual sermon on if it were a real emergency. That was followed by the usual "end of message" tones, and the music resumed.

Now, I know what this is/how it works, as I do work at a radio station part-time that has such a system. Those tones dictate the kind of alert, counties, etc. and are used to send out weather warnings (tornado, thunderstorm, etc.) and other alerts.

However, my question... WHY is this on satellite radio? I'm in Cleveland, Tennessee, so obviously nowhere near New York. I flipped up to the 90s channel and it had music as usual. Now, before everyone flames me that I might should post this on the Sirius forum, I wasn't sure if the alert was actually from Sirius or if DISH Network had somehow injected it.

Anyone have any ideas? Just thought it was interesting that I heard it. (It was a weekly test, but still.)

I've heard a generic version on 6033 a few times (no city mentioned). I assumed it was for the nationwide EAS. Not sure what that would ever be used for considering EAS was never activated in new york on 9-11, I dont know what would possibly cause a nationwide EAS activation.

The WEIRDEST thing ever just happened to me...

I was sitting here listening to channel 6008 (Sirius Big 80s) and, in the middle of a song, it goes dead, plays the normal chirp tones used whenever a weather warning/amber alert/etc. are issued, followed by that long annoying 80s-style emergency alert tone. Then there was a message explaining that this is a test of New York (City, I think)'s Emergency Alert System, along with the usual sermon on if it were a real emergency. That was followed by the usual "end of message" tones, and the music resumed.

Now, I know what this is/how it works, as I do work at a radio station part-time that has such a system. Those tones dictate the kind of alert, counties, etc. and are used to send out weather warnings (tornado, thunderstorm, etc.) and other alerts.

However, my question... WHY is this on satellite radio? I'm in Cleveland, Tennessee, so obviously nowhere near New York. I flipped up to the 90s channel and it had music as usual. Now, before everyone flames me that I might should post this on the Sirius forum, I wasn't sure if the alert was actually from Sirius or if DISH Network had somehow injected it.

Anyone have any ideas? Just thought it was interesting that I heard it. (It was a weekly test, but still.)
I wasn't on E* at the time, but I had FIOS on and I got the Emergency Alert System's annoying sound and generic picture on my screen as well. I really didn't pay much attention to it as I was busy doing something else, but that's really weird that you would get it on E* and I had it on FIOS.

Well, EAS on that channel may be due to the fact that E may be getting the feed for that channel from a land based repeater loacted in NYC (which mind you makes no sense, but, yeah)

What I hate about the EAS (though love the EAS at the same time, strange), is the interruption of digital boxes (cable etc) could be a bit more well, less scary. As the only time the EAS is gonna be activated is for evacuations, from weather to mass catastrophe (again, the US gov on that day = idiots, shoulda been activated!)

Well, EAS on that channel may be due to the fact that E may be getting the feed for that channel from a land based repeater loacted in NYC (which mind you makes no sense, but, yeah)

What I hate about the EAS (though love the EAS at the same time, strange), is the interruption of digital boxes (cable etc) could be a bit more well, less scary. As the only time the EAS is gonna be activated is for evacuations, from weather to mass catastrophe (again, the US gov on that day = idiots, shoulda been activated!)

it actually does make sence as isnt satellite radio mandated to have a system like this? Also sirius is located in NYC so that maybe why we are seeing it out of NYC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)