New York HD Locals on Conus?

JHark

Original poster
Feb 21, 2004
Hi Guys,

I have a NYC service address, but am located far from the spot beam foot print. I was receiving all my channels on 110-119-129 and could get everything but the New York locals in HD. I noticed that 72.7 carries the NYC HD Locals on a Conus beam (transponder 32 channels 9587-9590). I changed my 129 to 72.7 and get everything as before (but a stronger signal) but still don't receive the NYC locals in HD. Does this require a special authorization? (Which I probably would not be able to get.) Hopper & 2 Joeys. Thanks!

Those are only for RV'ers/truck drivers who submit the proper paperwork to Dish

NY addresses get the ones on 61.5 spotbeam

I believe those channels are the Distant Networks for RV-ers, which do require a special authorization and verification of an RV (which is why they are CONUS). EDIT: Ice just beat me to it.

NYC locals is not an option on 72.7. Earlier in the year I had lengthy discussions with dish to authorize locals on 72.7 for me as an exception. You could use other CONUS locals on 61.5. (Rochester, Pitts... etc.) they will come in.

Just curious. How far are you from NYC Spot. The NyC spot goes a distance.

Well, based on the spotbeam maps, looks like none of the spotbeams reach up that far.

Well, that's the point. The spotbeam maps show the original design orientation of Rainbow 1, but Dish had a different idea and rotated the sat farther to the northeast. Look at Buffalo NY for example. They're on MY spotbeam 4 (for Washington DC). The NY, NY spotbeam 3 looks as though it should reach Delaware and even parts of MD, yet it does not. We had a satguys member in Delaware who got a good signal on TP 15 and thought it was NY HD locals. Turns out he was actually getting TP 15 from spotbeam 5 for Norfolk, VA!

Still, the footprint of the eastern satellites will have more of an elongation toward the northwest, not the northeast (just as the western satellites have a more elongated footprint toward the northeast).

That would be interesting if the Bangor Locals work on PTAT. The LA CONUS broadcast channels don't work with PTAT. It would answer the question to whether the issue is CONUS signals or approved signals (Bangor)

That would be interesting if the Bangor Locals work on PTAT. The LA CONUS broadcast channels don't work with PTAT. It would answer the question to whether the issue is CONUS signals or approved signals (Bangor)

it is just the local markets that are in HD so Bangor will work fine. They are on a CONUS TP because of no room on spotbeam

NY distants are CONUS because of necessity
Bangor is CONUS because of convenience (no spotbeam space available and CONUS space was)

Yes there are LA Spot beams.

The question is whether Spot Beams are necessary for PTAT or are channels designated as Locals are the requirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts