Newb 2 FTA Questions on FTA HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmcgee_jr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 3, 2004
Kirkland, WA
I have a dishnetwork 811 I use mostly for the few HD channels I can get. But I cant get any of my locals in HD (live in vermont nothing up here) Anyways I was looking at going FTA to see if I could get the Big Broadcasters in HD like ABC CBS FOX WB. Is this possible and what is the cheapest route to do that? Thanks Guys!!!

The only reasonable solution right now is the PCI cards (Twinhan, Nexus). There are other solutions but they cost a great deal to implement.

Are your locals broadcasting in HD over the air (OTA)? That would be the better solution. :)

Iceberg said:
I don't think the nets are HD on FTA...I know PBS is but thats it
Thanks for the replies guys. No I dont have access to OTA in VT. In Pheonix it was great I could get all my locals for free and in HD via OTA. OH well so much for that idea. THanks guys. God why cant the goverment allow you to be able to get your locals in HD if you pay for the stream and then when it cuts to commercial either blackout or go to your SD feed of your locals you know? Last night was case and point. My local ABC carrier signal is horrible yet I had to watch the giants game via them cause they blacked out the feed on my ESPNHD. I was pissed. I thoguht this will be great the game will be on HD from 9pm on so I started watching then the blackout kicked in :( had to watch in SD till 11pm when the blackout ended so I watched last 10 minutes in HD. Really pisses you off you know.

jmcgee_jr said:
I But I cant get any of my locals in HD (live in vermont nothing up here)
Where are you at in Vermont? I live in Waterville, just north of Smugglers Notch. This is the first time ive seen a fellow VT'er in the FTA forums. Oh and BTW i agree, OTA reception in Vermont is a very hit or miss thing.

drhydro im in Groton Over by P&H truck stop on 91 if your familiar with the area. I work in montpelier for the state of vt 911 board. Are you on Adelphia cable? if so WCAX is offering HD through adelphia right now only no OTA. And timmy what is a bud?

O I C. thanks. I dont want ot put up one of those bad boys plus itlooks like the HD boxes are about 2K bucks :( oh well ill just stick with what I have. I wish I had adelphia up here they have at least some HD. Unlike charter. Maybe someday Ill be able to get some on DISH but im not holding my breath

jmcgee_jr said:
drhydro im in Groton Over by P&H truck stop on 91 if your familiar with the area. I work in montpelier for the state of vt 911 board. Are you on Adelphia cable? if so WCAX is offering HD through adelphia right now only no OTA. And timmy what is a bud?

Groton is about 1 hour and 15 minutes from my house. I live off of rt 109 that runs from jeff to eden, it was the last state highway to be paved (10 years ago), and there are only about 900 people that live off of that 30 mile stretch of highway. With the way Adelphia is not keeping its commitment to the state of Vermont to bring cable to more Vt. households, even in more populous areas, I dont think Waterville will ever see cable. And even if the town does, im pretty sure Adelphia wont run cable up our private road.

A BUD is a Big Ugly Dish, one of those 6'-10' dishs that you can find for free all over the place in Vermont. If you are interested in picking one up i see them all the time for free. I have a 10' fiberglass dish i am trying to get rid of, but it is only good for C-band reception and wont work for KU.

[edit] darn i have to learn to type responses faster, the ops question was answered while i was still typing ;-) [/edit]

LOL well like I said the only reason I was looking at going FTA was to get the networks in HD. If I had directv I would qualify for the NBC and FOX HD feeds for 1.50 each and maybe ABC. But I refuse to accept thier 1280x1080i as HD thats HD LITE :) I have dish and all the HD on it is great only thing I can get is CBS DNS but i have to get a waiver from WCAX and still waitng to hear on that. I will also need to put up a dish at the 61.5 orbital and pick up a switch. ALot of work for one HD channel no :). ARGHHH I hate living in the sticks sometimes.

jmcgee_jr said:
ARGHHH I hate living in the sticks sometimes.
Most of the times i love living in the sticks, but when it comes to watching tv it can be challenging ;-)

drhydro said:
Most of the times i love living in the sticks, but when it comes to watching tv it can be challenging ;-)

I am about 70 Miles from nearest OTA tower and 30 miles from nearest cable subscriber. I know what you mean! :D

Im only about 15 miles from the nearest OTA tower, but there is a mountain in the way..........

I watch network HD on DVB. I don't have a clue to where ABC HD, Fox HD, or UPN HD can be found. But, I watch CBS HD and WB HD from C-band on occasion. I have tried to watch NBC HD, I get a good signal, but it won't lock for some reason. And the same goes for PBS HD, I can't get a lock. NBC HD and PBS HD are both on ku-band. I'm one of the few with an expensive Quali-tv receiver. It does great HD, but it definitely has issues. Such as no blind scan. Also if you change the satellite it loses what you programmed in, so when you go back, you have to reprogram it. Although you can note, my DA may not know what I'm doing. And another thing, I've found out that they do updates over the satellite. All I have to do is point it to Astra 1 at 18-19 degrees east and put it on the correct channel and let it do it's thing. My only problem is I can't see that far over the hill. No telling what improvements I might be missing.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)