newb 522 install question

crc

Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
*I'm really glad I found this forum.*

I have been a dish customer for almost five years now. I have always done
installations/wiring myself. I am looking to add a third receiver and wanted DVR capabilities, so I thought about a 510. Then I read the 522 was going to be available in January. I was ready to purchase one but had a couple of questions.

1-I noticed ouput to TV2 is either RCA or coax. The coax line says channel 34 to 69. Why? Is it not like the coax out for TV1?

2-Is the 522 picture quality really as bad as I've read. What makes me nervous is that there is no real obvious cause.

Thanks in advance for any replies/help.

-crc

crc said:
1-I noticed ouput to TV2 is either RCA or coax. The coax line says channel 34 to 69. Why? Is it not like the coax out for TV1?

2-Is the 522 picture quality really as bad as I've read. What makes me nervous is that there is no real obvious cause.

Thanks in advance for any replies/help.

-crc

#1: So TV2 can be tuned to channels between 21-69 as not to interfere with local over the air channels that 'may' be combined on the same COAX.

If TV2 is physically close enough to the 522, the RCA outputs can be used, OR if your TV1 has PIP, you can use the TV2 out and run it into your PIP enabled TV for seperate pictures on the same screen.

#2: I think the PQ is excellent.

TV1 video outputs are RCA (composite), S-video, or coax (RF modulated on chan 3 or chan 4) TV1 audio outputs are L/R stereo, optical (digital), or what's in the RF modulated coax output.

TV2 outputs are the same as TV1 except MINUS S-video and MINUS optical audio. Also the TV2 coax output uses an Agile modulator where you can choose from many channels, but not chan 3 or 4 or adjacents, as that would interfere with the TV1 RF modulated output if they were combined on the same run of coax.

I have no real complaints about the 522 PQ. Looks good on normal sized TV's connected to the coax output. I do note some compression artifacts on my big screen rear projection set hooked up the the composite output, but they are relatively minor. I only notice them on large dark areas of the screen. I doubt Dish is worse than any other digital signal provider in this regard. I can't comment on the S-video output from the 522 since my TV only has one S-video input (on the rear panel, that is) and it's been dedicated to the DVD player instead of the 522.

What they said as far as hook up and quality.

Clarification for PiP - You do not need a second output to your TV (any TV) to use PiP. Just make sure you have both SAT1 and SAT2 inputs to your 522, then using the MODE switch on the front panel of the DVR select "Single." When you select PIP on the remote you'll now see the in PIP box on screen. Use the SWAP button on the remove to go back and forth between tuner displays. See more Single Mode info here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=22563

Slick stuff man... :D

On a 322 and 522 I installed this week it made the second television (TV2) have the video appear on channel 116 by default.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)