Newb here, few easy questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ZoSo925

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Sin City
Dish re-designed their website ordering process so I gave customer service a call.

Basically Id like 2 HD-DVR's and would like 1 of them the 922. I had to disconnect from the phone agent because he didnt seem knowledgeable about what exactly they offer.

What Id like is to record shows on any Unit Bedroom/Living Room and be able to access any box. Ive always heard Dish you can record in one room, and watch the same recording from a different room. Does this require Ethernet Im guessing? My whole house is setup with CAT6 Cables and using Gigabit Switches and Gigabit Routers.

It's kinda important to me and would like to be using Dish Network Units that support Gigabit Ethernet Connections. I really dont want Units that are limited to only 10/100 Ethernet.

Also I love that I can choose some NYC/NJ news channels like WPIX and WWOR for $2 each channel. I live in Las Vegas and could really care less about local Las Vegas channels. I wish there was a way to pick up all the Local New Jersey and New York City local channels.

Oh yea, lastly do I really really need a Land Line Telephone at all? I have no intentions of getting a land line and no intentions of ordering PPV.

Directv offers multi-room viewing DVR, dish does not. You can only get the superstations, such as WWOR. You cannot get locals from a market you do not live in, unless under extremely limited circumstances.

You don't need a landline.

awe shoot, alrighty. I'll have to compare channels again but Im pretty sure Dish has better channels that Im into like Documentary Channel type stuff and I dont think DTV offers superstations like WWOR and WPIX.

For some reason I always thought it was Dish that offered a special multi-room feature. Maybe it was hyped and maybe like a loop feature that allows multi-room. Kinda sucks Dish is not hopping on the bandwagon on this Multi-Room stuff and it's year 2011. Cox cable is slowly rolling out this in markets.

Directv offers multi-room viewing DVR, dish does not. You can only get the superstations, such as WWOR. You cannot get locals from a market you do not live in, unless under extremely limited circumstances.

You don't need a landline.
hold on now.. lets qualify that.. Dish currently has the ability to have two TV's hooked up to one DVR, such that those TV's share what ever is on *that* DVR ... no it isn't "whole home" DVR service, but it does offer some capability.

Dish is coming out with a SlingExtender that works via ethernet to extend TV viewing to where ever you have ethernet, it is not yet available, and its not yet known exactly how the technology will interact if you have more than one DVR system compatible with it. But the basic intent is there to provide access to HD if not near HD from the box it connects to.

I am betting that most likely the "first" itteration of the device will pair it with a receiver but there is the chance that it may offer onscreen switching between two (or more) sling enabled receivers (X22's w/sling adapter or sling loaded 922)

And its not that I want to tarnish the 922 ... but it would be irresponsible not to warn you that you should look more into problems with the 922 and at the very least be preparred for them if you decide to go that route, plus that on top of the 200 dollar "allowance to get" the 922 (which is money you never get back) you pay an additional 4 dollars a month for the 922 (where as a 722k you pay 100 dollars for a sling adapter you own - you might sell it on ebay to get a few dollars back)

Regardless of which receiver you go for... *if* it supports External Hard Drives (EHD's) I **strongly** recommend you invest in an external drive (2TB for 722's - 1TB for 211's) Several posts show disappearing content, other posts discuss internal drive failures, all have the common thread "I wished I'd backed stuff up to an external drive"

TG2 said:
hold on now.. lets qualify that.. Dish currently has the ability to have two TV's hooked up to one DVR, such that those TV's share what ever is on *that* DVR ... no it isn't "whole home" DVR service, but it does offer some capability.

Dish is coming out with a SlingExtender that works via ethernet to extend TV viewing to where ever you have ethernet, it is not yet available, and its not yet known exactly how the technology will interact if you have more than one DVR system compatible with it. But the basic intent is there to provide access to HD if not near HD from the box it connects to.

I get what you're saying, but the OP seems to be asking about multi-room viewing, not a box with a couple tuners and 2 outputs, one of which is SD. As you stated, he'd have to wait for the slingextender to come out, if and when it does, to get the 2nd output in HD. If he's ever experienced multi-room viewing, neither of dish's options are anywhere near it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)