newb question on ViP222 hd reciever...please help

bryce600rr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
i have been a cable customer my whole life and finally switched to dish yestereday so i am not to familiar with it at all. the installed told me that i would be charged $5.00 for every reciever that was not hooked up to a phone line or internet.. i have the primary reciever (VIP722) hardwired to my Linksys G router. my other reciever is downstairs and my modem and router are upsatirs, so i need to be able to hook my secondary reciever (VIP222) wireless if possible.. can you guy help me out with what i need to get this hooked up to my router? i want to do this as cheap as possible.. what else can i do with the reciever hooked up to the internet.. if you could give me item numbers it would be a huge help also.. thanks guys and sorry about the newb question, but ya gotta start somewhere right?? LOL

Bryce

Is it possible to run a long length of eithernet cable to the 222? You may want to try the DishComm feature to piggyback the 222 with the 722's connection. There are several wireless adapters that may work, I'm sure someone who has one of these units will give you info on theirs.

it is possible but i would rather pay the $5.00 a month.. i would have to drill through the floor and run the cable along the celing then down the wall to the reciever.:eek: any other suggestions? anyone!!

Here are 4 easy solutions.

#1) Use DishComm where you use the built-in powerline networking of the 222 to connect to Dish either via another receiver or via your broadband provider (via a powerline networking extension).

#2) Use a Powerline networking setup where you place an adapter on your power plug near your 222 and another one near your broadband router. That's what I do rather than use long Ethernet cables.

#3) Use a cordless bridge to link the telephone port of your 222 with your home's cordless/900/2.4/5.4/6.0 DECT setup. It runs about $50 at Radio Shack.

#4) Use a wifi adapter to connect the Ethernet port of your 222 to your home's wireless network. This is similar to the Powerline networking. However, it's slightly more complex to setup if you secure your network via WEP/WPA/WPA2. (I hope you're using WPA2.) Moreover, it's more prone to interference than the above methods.

Here are 4 easy solutions.

#1) Use DishComm where you use the built-in powerline networking of the 222 to connect to Dish either via another receiver or via your broadband provider (via a powerline networking extension).

#2) Use a Powerline networking setup where you place an adapter on your power plug near your 222 and another one near your broadband router. That's what I do rather than use long Ethernet cables.

#3) Use a cordless bridge to link the telephone port of your 222 with your home's cordless/900/2.4/5.4/6.0 DECT setup. It runs about $50 at Radio Shack.

#4) Use a wifi adapter to connect the Ethernet port of your 222 to your home's wireless network. This is similar to the Powerline networking. However, it's slightly more complex to setup if you secure your network via WEP/WPA/WPA2. (I hope you're using WPA2.) Moreover, it's more prone to interference than the above methods.

sounds good but i have no clue what a powerline networking setup is:( also i don't have a phone in my house i just use cell phones.. can you explain this in newbie terms:Dsorry..
Bryce

The VIP receivers are HomePlug capable. I had the same problem which I solved by using a second wireless router which I setup as a repeater bridge. I used a simple 4 port router and connected by 722, wii, and xbox 360 all to the router which communications wirelessly with the first router. Never had a problem with it.

sweet!! so if i have a linksys G router do i need to get the same thing or can i look for something cheaper.. if i have a different brand or style will the still communicate?? also how do i set it up as a bridge?? thanks again guys

anyone else?? i dont have a lot of money to spend on this being christmas time and all.. i want to try and make sure it will work the first time if possible..

I recommend focussing on garys's zero-cost option: the DishComm network. You set up the 222 to communicate to the 722 over your power lines, and the 722 passes all info for both receivers to Dish via your wired network. Zero cost, other than the setup time.

Yes a Linksys Wireless G router will work fine. In fact thats what I used in my setup. I used DD-WRT to update the firmware and setup the repeater bridge. The full instructions are on the DD-WRT website.

I recommend focussing on garys's zero-cost option: the DishComm network. You set up the 222 to communicate to the 722 over your power lines, and the 722 passes all info for both receivers to Dish via your wired network. Zero cost, other than the setup time.
how do do i set it up with the dishcomm network?? can i find the instructions (step by step) on the web somewhere?? thanks guys..
Bryce

when i do this it does not find my other reciever... do i need to do it on both recievers??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)