Newb questions/Promotion received in mail legit?

Squints2See

Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
WV
Hello all,

I have been a lurker on these forums for awhile now but a new member. I am pretty much convinced that I want to get setup with Dish Network service as I am done with Comcast. I have a few questions that I am hoping I could get answered:

1. I was a Dish Network customer a long time ago... (probably 10 years or so) Would I still be considered a new customer as far as promo's are concerned?

2. I know from research over the past several months that Dish was offering "Free HD for life" and then that promotion ceased and they are now offering "Free HD for 24 months". However I just received in the mail last week a flyer from a Dish authorized retailer advertising "FREE HD Programming FOR LIFE!" In the fine print though it lists HD being free for 24 months, so not sure what to think of this. Is it possible to still get HD free for life?

3. Also, they are offering a free IPAD mini, but I'm pretty sure a few months ago when Dish was offering a free IPAD 2 that you could choose that promo or you could choose a cheaper monthly rate for the first year without the free IPAD. I no longer see an option so my question is: Is this truly a free IPAD and they have bumped up the package price to pay for it and now are just not offering the ability to pay a cheaper monthly rate and not receive the IPAD?

4. I am looking at this point to only do a 2 room setup as its just my wife and I. I'm looking at the Hopper system as I do like to DVR, but most shows I watch are not on the big 4 networks. So I'm thinking I will need a super joey or two hopper's. Is there a difference in the lease fee's between the Hoppers and super joey's? Any recommendations on what setup may be good for me would be appreciated.

5. Is the super joey RF controlled and hide-able behind a TV like the regular Joey?

6. I do have 2 spare bedrooms with TV's but don't want to pay a monthly fee for them to have there own boxes (I only have guests maybe 2x a year). Can I split the signal from the Hopper and/or the super joey in the 2 rooms I do utilize daily to feed those rooms for the occasional guest use?

7. Do all authorized resellers have access to the same promo's? The reason I ask is because I had a local "brick and mortar" authorized reseller come out to my house just to find out if I could get a line-of-sight to the satellites. I didn't want to sign up over the internet straight with Dish if I wasn't sure I could even get a signal. I really liked the gentleman that came out and feel like I should support a local business if possible. However, I don't know if he would be able to get me the same kind of deals that you see various outfits online offering. I guess I could just call him and ask, but just thought I'd see if anyone here knows how these promo's work for 3rd party resellers, versus buying straight from Dish, etc...

Thanks for any help you all can give...

Todd

1. I was a Dish Network customer a long time ago... (probably 10 years or so) Would I still be considered a new customer as far as promo's are concerned?
Yes.
2. Is it possible to still get HD free for life?
Not currently.
3. Also, they are offering a free IPAD mini, but I'm pretty sure a few months ago when Dish was offering a free IPAD 2 that you could choose that promo or you could choose a cheaper monthly rate for the first year without the free IPAD. I no longer see an option so my question is: Is this truly a free IPAD and they have bumped up the package price to pay for it and now are just not offering the ability to pay a cheaper monthly rate and not receive the IPAD?
The iPad is in lieu of discounts as it has always been. The free iPad for Hopper referrals is another deal entirely.
6. I do have 2 spare bedrooms with TV's but don't want to pay a monthly fee for them to have there own boxes (I only have guests maybe 2x a year). Can I split the signal from the Hopper and/or the super joey in the 2 rooms I do utilize daily to feed those rooms for the occasional guest use?
This depends on what you mean by "split the signal". The Hopper and Joey's DO NOT feature RF outputs. The Joey does feature composite out with line level stereo sound.

Hello all,

I have been a lurker on these forums for awhile now but a new member. I am pretty much convinced that I want to get setup with Dish Network service as I am done with Comcast. I have a few questions that I am hoping I could get answered:

2. I know from research over the past several months that Dish was offering "Free HD for life" and then that promotion ceased and they are now offering "Free HD for 24 months". However I just received in the mail last week a flyer from a Dish authorized retailer advertising "FREE HD Programming FOR LIFE!" In the fine print though it lists HD being free for 24 months, so not sure what to think of this. Is it possible to still get HD free for life?

4. I am looking at this point to only do a 2 room setup as its just my wife and I. I'm looking at the Hopper system as I do like to DVR, but most shows I watch are not on the big 4 networks. So I'm thinking I will need a super joey or two hopper's. Is there a difference in the lease fee's between the Hoppers and super joey's? Any recommendations on what setup may be good for me would be appreciated.

5. Is the super joey RF controlled and hide-able behind a TV like the regular Joey?

7. Do all authorized resellers have access to the same promo's? The reason I ask is because I had a local "brick and mortar" authorized reseller come out to my house just to find out if I could get a line-of-sight to the satellites. I didn't want to sign up over the internet straight with Dish if I wasn't sure I could even get a signal. I really liked the gentleman that came out and feel like I should support a local business if possible. However, I don't know if he would be able to get me the same kind of deals that you see various outfits online offering. I guess I could just call him and ask, but just thought I'd see if anyone here knows how these promo's work for 3rd party resellers, versus buying straight from Dish, etc...

Thanks for any help you all can give...

Todd

Harshness had good answers. To add and expand a little, where possible...

You would be considered a new customer, as long as all leased equipment was returned, and there are no outstanding bills from your last time having service. You should be able to get the same deals through a reseller. I advise using a good, known, local retailer, or the main 800-333-3474 Dish number. That stuff that shows up in the mail and the Sunday papers are for the big retailers like GoDish and InfinityDish, and I don't always hear a lot of good things about dealing with them. Retailers also may wind up charging you a $49 fee to set up the account. No matter who you use, listen to the disclosures, and ask for the agent to read it again if you don't completely catch it.

Free HD is now Free HD for 24 months (for new accounts started after February 2014). Whether that will change, nobody knows.

The Free Ipad thing, as mentioned, does require you to skip the introductory prices. There is no free lunch, so to speak. You can have intro prices, and save $20-$30 per month, or you can have the free Ipad. Not both.

Pricing for Hopper Joeys. First Hopper doesn't have a receiver fee, but there is a $12 whole home DVR fee. Then, for the second receiver, if you pick a Joey, it's $7/month. A super joey will be an extra $10/month (it adds 2 tuners to the Hopper's 3), or a second Hopper will be $12/month.

The Super Joey does use a UHF remote. So it is able to be hidden, but it is bigger, somewhere between the size of the Joey and the Hopper.

On #6, there are folks here who can talk about splitting out a signal from a Hopper or a Joey, through some kind of mirroring devices (HDMI splitter, etc). That won't be anything Dish can do for you, you're on your own on that one.

Most promotions in the mail and the ads you see on TV are normally from a retailer or someone out of state trying to sell in your area. They promise the WORLD to get you sold and of course lies lies and more LIES when doing the sale. The poor ole tech rolls out and gets asked about where this that and whatever is they were said to get. Hell, I had one lady tell me that the CSR or who she talked to on the phone about sale said I would be able to not only hook up her TV but also program it to the onboard TV she had in her new car.

Yeah, my 722 does the same darn thing for no apparent reason. Receivers that take the MT2 module (722k, 922, among others) can view the 2nd OTA tuner on TV2.

I believe you can indeed view the OTA tuner from any Hopper or Joey. But note that you only get one OTA tuner/Hopper. :(

The Super Joey does use a UHF remote. So it is able to be hidden, but it is bigger, somewhere between the size of the Joey and the Hopper.

To expand on this, Dish highly recommends not mounting the SJ flat on a wall/vertical and to only mount it horizontal on a flat surface. I can only assume it's for heat dissipation as it doesn't have any mechanical drive in it.

Yeah, my 722 does the same darn thing for no apparent reason. Receivers that take the MT2 module (722k, 922, among others) can view the 2nd OTA tuner on TV2.

I believe you can indeed view the OTA tuner from any Hopper or Joey. But note that you only get one OTA tuner/Hopper. :(

One OTA tuner is fine as long as each tv can view the channels haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts