Newb splitter question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

c8hendrick

Original poster
May 23, 2005
I have recently purchased a new HDTV and Dish 811 box. My current setup is a Dish 301 -> TiVo -> old TV... Id like to be able to do something like this:

wall -> splitter out 1 -> 301 -> TiVo -> Receiver -> New TV
......-> splitter out 2 -> 811 -> Receiver -> New TV

That way the TiVo isn't in the way of any HD signal coming from the 811... also I'll be able to TiVo one channel while watching another through the 811 by simply switching the input on the receiver.

The question I have is can the splitter just be a simple coax splitter or do I need something more advanced?

Thanks
Chris

neither
you cannot split a signal to 2 receivers....the only way you can do this is with a dual tuner receievr (322, 522, 921, 942) and it requires some more parts (different LNB and DishPro separators)

but to a 301 & and 811 is 2 lines from the dish (or switch)

Spoke with DishNetwork

Thanks for the info - very helpful

So I give DishNetwork a call...

I figure out from talking to them and combining it with you response that I'll need a 4 LNB upgrade to my current 2 LNB, a DishPro Separator to combine two feeds onto one line, and then another DishPro Separator to split the signal after the wall...

They went on to state that they only support this configuration going to a dual tuner box and don't support it going to two single tuner boxes (in my case a 301 and a 811). They stated that this config will not work.

Any reaction because from a technical perspective, how differently does a dual-tuner chassis behave from two single tuner chassis? Why wouldn't it work?

Thanks
Chris

Thanks for the info - very helpful

So I give DishNetwork a call...

I figure out from talking to them and combining it with you response that I'll need a 4 LNB upgrade to my current 2 LNB, a DishPro Separator to combine two feeds onto one line, and then another DishPro Separator to split the signal after the wall...
All you need is a DishProPlus Twin LNB and a separator (if you had a dual tuner)
They went on to state that they only support this configuration going to a dual tuner box and don't support it going to two single tuner boxes (in my case a 301 and a 811). They stated that this config will not work.
correct
Any reaction because from a technical perspective, how differently does a dual-tuner chassis behave from two single tuner chassis? Why wouldn't it work?

Thanks
Chris
I don’t know the specifics, but a dual tuner probably has something setup in the compuer part to run this. Also, the software for the dual tuner is the only one that will accept this setup. The single tuners do not

You can not put two IRD's on a seperator, you have to run two seperate lines in to each IRD. Only the dual tuners will work with band stacking. So you will have to run a second line to that loaction to do what you want.

c8hendrick said:
The control signals to the switch are passed up from only one of the tuners which tells the switch which transponder to band-stack for the other tuner. That can't happen with 2 single tuner models because the receivers don't talk to each other.

I should be able to run the 811 RGB/Optical out to one input on my home theater receiver and another RCA/SVideo out from the 811 to the TiVo then to the home theater receiver right? It will send signal out of both outputs but I'll only have the one tuner?

Dave nye said:
You can not put two IRD's on a seperator, you have to run two seperate lines in to each IRD. Only the dual tuners will work with band stacking. So you will have to run a second line to that loaction to do what you want.
Wrong. ALL DishPro is "Band Stacking". And you need one feed per tuner, not the two implied by the quoted post.

DPPlus enhances the control so that either band (950-1450 or 1650-2150MHz) can be any available transponder set instead of the DP(basic) of odd+even of the same bird.

The restriction to a single dual-tuner box is because only one command path is available for the box to tell the outside gear what it wants. Therefore, both tuners must be in the same box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)