Newbe Setup

Dastagg

Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Nederland, texas
Ok, sorry if this is stupid stuff, but I am working to set up a RV using an older dish that I have. I had my dish changed out last year to a newer dish and set to different satellites to fix a problem that I had with poor signal which the DISH service guy recommended. He changed the Dish and was not better and would up being the reciever itself and after changing it, all was well. Anyway, I kept the old dish and now want to use it for my RV while traveling.

My old dish was almost set to due south in Nederland Texas area of Southeast Texas and believe it would be the 61.5 in which it was set and is a 3 LNB as shown in photos. How can I tell for certain which satellites I should be trying to aim at? I saw where some places that skew isn't needed to be set at these satellites to get all three satellites but that doesn't sound right to me, but I am Dish Dumb also.

I purchased a meter (Orbital Tracker Light) to help me but just recieved it last night and need to verify what satellites I should be aiming at. I picked up the 61.5 but it doesn't show to be picking up others on the reciever (VIP222) so guessing something isn't correct. I did a Check Switch and it told me some satellites were missing but wasn't exactly sure which I should be adjusting for other than the 61.5 and should I aim at this one or one of the others for initial satellite find?

I see no where on the Dish as to which satellites the LNB should be aimed at and can this dish pick up the others that I see so often mentioned on this site such as 119? If dedicated to the 61.5, no problem, just couldn't find much on this site by looking through old posts, or at least using what I thought using the search.

Sorry but such newbe questions, and may can figure it out, but want to more understand how the system works, and having a hard time finding information on the way the system works and to tell how to find out what I have to go deeper into it. I tend to want to understand what I am doing vs, just making it work through trial and error testing. I am posting photos of what I have if it helps.
Dish 1 small.jpgDish 2.jpgDish 3.jpg

For some reason the receiver's do not show the info for an EA dish (which is what in the photo is). You can go to dishpointer.com and put in your address, then on the pull down look for Multi-dish setups till you find the one for 1000.4. This will give you the numbers and an overhead image to show general direction to point the dish.

Thanks, and I suppose the settings for aiming are for the 72.7 satellite and not for 61.5 or 77 to set my meter to pick up the signal?

Thanks for the help and confirmation.

The general direction for 72 is close to the EA settings, but your skew could be way off. You will only find that setting by using viewing the settings for getting all three sats but not usually give when checking for only one sat. Try using dishpointer.com, put in your location info, then using the pull down find Multi-dish setup and look for the 1000.4 dish (the site only gives EA under this dish, but should get you started if you are also using the 1000.2 dish as long as you have the EA lnb assembly on the dish).

Dastagg: Hey, I'm a newbe also...by your pic, I am a'wonderin if your mast(or pole) is perfectly vertical on all sides (at the top) for the skew alignment, as I understand that the "tilt" of your lnbf has be the same as the 3 sats you're aiming for........ Hey guys, can you help us out?????????????????Am I thinkin' right?????????

Last edited:
It is perfectly plumb ad required to use settings. I was able to grt the 61.5 and 72.7 but not 77, however, doesnt appear much is on 77 anyway. Now if I can duplicate it again will be the trick.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It is perfectly plumb ad required to use settings. I was able to grt the 61.5 and 72.7 but not 77, however, doesnt appear much is on 77 anyway. Now if I can duplicate it again will be the trick.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

77 is mostly local channels and Latino channels. If your dma is not on 77 and you don't have Latino packages, you don't need 77. At least until there is something on there that you subscribe to.

Make sure which satellites you are pointed at. You could be rotated too far east. Check in Point Dish that the Locked name matches the selected satellite. You would have the wrong azimuth and elevation and possibly the skew, too. Cover one horn with foil say the western one and make sure the signal for 61.5 goes away.

-Ken

Thanks all,

I moved the dish and tried again and again (for practice) and can't seem to now find 61.5. The receiver shows that I have 72.7 and 77 but not 61.5, however, my Orbital Tracker Light shows that I am on 61.5 itself since it is supposed to recognize the satellite I request vs finding just any satellite. Since I now show to have 72.7 and 77, it makes me wonder if my receiver has an issue or the dish itself. At one point, I showed 72.7 and 77 correctly when I went to check switch, but also showed that I have 77 when I went to the 61.5 spot on the receivers satellite strength screen but the Tracker Light showed actually it was on 61.5 have reset the receiver multiple times. Just not sure which one to completely beleive, but if the receiver showed 77 on both 61.5 and 77 test screen for signal strengh on the receiver, it makes me wonder it I don't have a receiver issue. Getting flustrating as I realize I don't need 77, but do need 61.5 and 72.7, but can't seem to get the 61.5 now and I was able to get it right off the bat my first try. errrrr.

btw, the reason I have the EA version of disk is that this is what I had prior to Dish installing a new dish on the side of my home that uses WA satellites. It worked for years but they swapped it out due to what they thought was an issue that wound up being a recieve issue all along, however, I did require them put this one on side of my house brick wall and get this one off of my roof that eventually seeped water into my roof and I no longer wanted it on my roof also. I removed it and want to use this for my motorhome travels and should be doable since it did work on my home for many years.

Last edited:
Well, assuming that 1000.4 isn't defective, your new complement of satellites (72 and 77 only) now makes sense to me if your skew is off. Did you follow the setup directions? Perhaps cover the outer two LNBs with foil and get 72 good first for sure on the 72 LNB?

I did cover each one, one at a time using my hand and using the Tracker Light to confirm each one got signal for that particular satellite. I will however try it covering the two up and check the aim and go from there and adjust the skew once I confirm signal on the 72 LNB and will give feed back from that this evening. Thanks for the responses in getting me set up. This is all good stuff, as I know moving from one location to another, I will need to be able to adapt as I change locations in my travels. I am practicing to get proficient now vs trying to figure it out once I do travel away from home. Thanks again,

I am unfamiliar with the Tracker Light. Does it have the smarts to manipulate the switch inside that 1000.4? If not, you may have to unplug the LNB assembly entirely from all power to get 72 to come out the "72" output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)