Newbee question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

msharp

Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
USA
First I know nothing about FTA. I have one of the wide, oval dishes that DishTV uses for HD reception, can this dish be used to pick up FTA if the LBN is changed or do I need a 30 or 33 inch round dish. No I don't want to steal DishTV, I just want to use the wide dish and a new LBN for FTA.

First I know nothing about FTA. I have one of the wide, oval dishes that DishTV uses for HD reception, can this dish be used to pick up FTA if the LBN is changed or do I need a 30 or 33 inch round dish. No I don't want to steal DishTV, I just want to use the wide dish and a new LBN for FTA.

Welcome to the forum, msharp. :)

What are the dimensions on your dish? It is very possible that is is usable for linear FTA use, but you may be limited to stronger transponders.

You are correct on needing a new (linear) LNBF, the Dish signals are circular, and your existing LNBF won't work.

A DTV Slimline (which is what you have) will work if you replace the LNBF cluster with a linear LNBF, but be aware that the Slimline is somewhat undersized. You probably won't receive some weaker transponders.

DishNetwork dish..?

Could you post a picture?
Is there any chance you have an old SuperDish?
They came in about four variations, but all models had one linear LNB.

If you have anything else, then the LNB needs to be replaced
....which would be most likely. :)

Here's a pic of a linear LNBF that was adapted to a DTV Slimline:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...irecttv-slimline-fta-success.html#post2224131

The DTV Slimline in tripl3s3v3n's picture is the same one I have. I'm in out in rural north-eastern California and I can get those lots of these dishes. They are always being left behind when somebody moves as everyone in this area is being raped by Dish or Directv as there is no other service in this area, we still don't have digital OTA as they are in the process of installing the translators. Just wish you could use the LNBFs too. So my next question is what is a good LNB to get to use with one of these dishes?

If you look on the top of each forum page you will see logo link buttons for Satellite AV, and for Galaxy Marketing, they can fix you up.

You want a standard (not "universal") linear LNBF. Single output will run one receiver, dual outputs will run 2 (or more with a multiswitch).

You will also need an LNBF holder, or be able to improvise one (conduit hangers, duct tape, sticks and bubble gum have all been used.)

Just thought I would drop in to give you my .02. I would order the LNB adapter that you see in my pics rather than mess with conduit or brackets. It really helps in the proper alignment for the focal point. I am not sure where you are located exactly but I am near Modesto in the Central Valley. And I am able to get strong signal on most things you would probably be interested, such as 97 and 101. Overall they are good dishes for starting out and messing around without dropping a lot of money, and they are easy to find. Good Luck and have fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.