Newbi with questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftamart

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
I did a lot of reading on sites and forums and managed to intall an FTA system. I bought a Viewsat 2000 clone, and used a 30" Star Choice dish and put a dual linear LNB on it. The LNB fit into the retangular tube (arm) of the dish, so it's fixed (no skew). I had problems with G10R, maybe because of some trees. I only got 20% of signal quality. I managed to get IA6 though.
I read a post here in this forums that my LNB has to be skewed, otherwise it won't work. Well, I got IA6 with the fixed LNB, but could the fixed LNB be the reason I can't get G10R? What happens with the skew on a motorized dish?
I am also considering getting a bigger dish, maybe a 1.2m and motorize it. I would like to receive C band, but I read that Ku reception isn't to good on a mesh dish. Does a C band LNB work on a small (1.2m) dish?
I gues I could put the LNB on a plastic bracket so that it can be skewed if you guys tell me it has to be skewed.
Please let me know what you think and I thank you in advance.

BTW. I am located south of Winnipeg.

Ftamart.

Aiming at a satellite near true south of your location the skew on a fixed mount LNBF will be close enough. As you follow the arc east or west of true south the LNBF must follow the apparent rotation of the polarity. You can place the mounting post out of plumb to achieve this skew adjustment, but then the dish elevation must be compensated.

If a HH type motor is installed, the LNBF skew will be adjusted by the movement on the motor.

Mesh with holes of 1/8 inch will look like a nearly solid surface to Ku band signals. Signal loss will increase as the size of the openings in the mesh increases.

120 cm is not enough area for C-band. 6 foot (roughly 2m) is the smallest size dish I have seen produce an enjoyable C-band picture, and that was down here in the main footprint of the CONUS birds. Up where you are my guess is you would want at least 10 feet, but this is only a guess. Any reputable retailer of C-band dishes should be able to give you solid advice as to the requirements for your location.

The reason you got good signals on IA6 is that is very close to your true south so a little skew doesn't hurt

G10 needs to be skewed

Thanks for your help guys.
I put a bracket on the LNB and skewed it. Now I am receiving G10R. Next thing I am getting is a motor.

Thanks again for your help.

Satmart

cool :)

Glad it worked out for ya. When you get a motor, you don't need to skew the LNB. Set it to 0 and the motor does the skewing :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)