Newbie 101

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Don Yenko

Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
Newbie here, looking for a quick education.
I currently have a HR21-700 and am having issues with the receiver freezing up and having to re-boot. I am having to do this more frequently and is getting to be a hassle. I have bought a used HR24-100 or 200 and one question is it a drop in unit to my system(of course need Direct to activate the HR24). I see all these threads showing switches and other parts with acronyms I am not familiar with. I think I have a 5LNB dish(but not sure), and two coax's coming to the HR21 through a pair of what I call filters on each coax. I only have the one TV connected.

Any help would be appreciated.

An HR24 would take the place of an HR21. If you have Whole Home DVR service, you would need to remove the DECA adapter that is connected to the HR21 as the HR24 has one built in.

Whether or not you could buy a used HR24 that DIRECTV would be willing to activate is an entirely different issue.

If the HR21 is leased (as most of them are), DIRECTV will replace it for free; of course you can't guarantee getting an HR24 from DIRECTV.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Don Yenko!

As harshness alluded to, Directv may not activate the HR24 for you if it is a leased unit instead of an owned one. Only a call to them can tell you the answer. If the issues you are having aren't fixable, Directv will replace the unit with no more than a shipping charge of $19.95.

I dont have a whole home DVR service, and I own the HR21. I already bought the HR24. The HR21 has 3 coax connections 2 input and one output(I use the HDMI out to the TV) the HR24 has only 2, I think an in and an out, do I ditch the filters and jut connect it direct to the coax from the dish? My relationship with direct is complicated, so I hope they will just de-activate the HR21 and activate the HR24.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Don Yenko!

As harshness alluded to, Directv may not activate the HR24 for you if it is a leased unit instead of an owned one. Only a call to them can tell you the answer. If the issues you are having aren't fixable, Directv will replace the unit with no more than a shipping charge of $19.95.

I hope I didn't get burned on the HR24, Guy sad it was owned not leased. as I mentioned my relationship with Direct is complicated and I should know soon, basicly compatibility with current equipment is a my main concern first. Thank you both for responding so quickly.

Call Directv and ask for the access card department. They will tell you if it's owned or not. BTW, do you own a Yenko?

By filters I assume you mean the bbc's. You need them unless you switch to a swm setup at some point. For now, leave them in place and connect both of the coax cables.

Chip, I am not sure what they are. The are gray,rectangular with a male coax connection one side and a pigtail coax with a female end.

That's the bbc. It's needed in a non swm setup in order to get hd channels to the receiver/dvr. One exception is that they aren't used in a non swm setup with an H23 or HR23.

That's the bbc. It's needed in a non swm setup in order to get hd channels to the receiver/dvr. One exception is that they aren't used in a non swm setup with an H23 or HR23.
So, I need them for the HR24 right?

If you only had one cable from the dish with a power inserter in line, then you would have a swm setup and wouldn't need them.

I hope I didn't get burned on the HR24, Guy sad it was owned not leased.
Relatively few HR24s were owned. They were offered to large MDU dwellers and a few DIRECTV employees (many of whom had to agree to not resell the DVRs). Many boxes that were leased or on a non-resale agreement have been sold to those, like yourself, who didn't do their due diligence.

Directv employees also own their HR24s. Don's could be one of those.

I made a very specific note of that along with the caveat that many were not allowed to resell theirs.
I have never heard that employees wern't allowed to sell thiers.
That could be, but it's the first time I've heard about that, I'm sure the installers here will chime in.

I have never heard that employees wern't allowed to sell thiers.
That could be, but it's the first time I've heard about that, I'm sure the installers here will chime in.

Never heard of it either

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I made a very specific note of that along with the caveat that many were not allowed to resell theirs.

I missed the part you posted about the employees. What makes you think they can't sell theirs?

I missed the part you posted about the employees. What makes you think they can't sell theirs?
I recall seeing posts from posters claiming to be employees and they indicated the moratorium was in place. Then again, I've seen lots of people who really should know make claims that others called hogwash on. Such is the inconsistent nature of getting information from other than the source I suppose (not that CSRs are known for being any more correct in their advice).

In any case, due diligence is highly recommended to determine whether a particular box can be activated; whether it isn't leased or it isn't tombstoned as an obsolete model.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts