Newbie confused about channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rbarch

Original poster
Jul 11, 2004
Hi, I am new to all this so please excuse me if this question sounds dumb. I just found out about "Free to Air" channels only a few days ago so I know
very little. I was reading a message that someone asked about what they could watch on these channels. The reply was that there are a variety of things but for a complete list he should go to the LyngSat website for more information. I went to the website and looked under "Free TV channels from United States". As I went thru the list of channels I found " DISH Network, DISH 500, Fox Movie Channel, In Demand Barker A". Now these are premium channels. According to the limited information that I have so far there are no premium channels like this on Free-to-Air channels. So why are they being listed here? Could someone please explain this to me. I would appreciate your help. Thank you,

rbarch

What you have listed are available, but on some there is a catch.

The stuff in pink color you need a C-Band dish (6 feet or larger)
The green stuff is KU Band (30 inch or larger dish)
The stuff with DVB listed you can get with a KU dish

Most of what you can see on Dish Network birds are preview channels
Dish 500-channel 9900 on Dish..it says "Congrats. You have a Dish 500
Dish FYI is Dish channel 101..the info channel. It also has the Charlie chats
You can get NASA on FTA for free and the audio channels (not Sirius..they scrambled those about a week ago)

Yes Fox Movie channel is FTA..but you need a 6' or larger dish

Don't let this discourage you. There is still a lot up there (and alot that isnt listed on Lyngsat) :)

I have a question as well. I got a Viacast Quantum MSR 1500 from ebay because I was interested in listening to some radio and possibly watching some fta. I have a couple different dishes in the back. Both big. One is metal mesh type and another is just solid creme color.

Anyway. I looked in the manual fo rthis thing and it says I have to program in frequencies and stuff but I checked on lyngsat and afaik it doesn't say the frequencies that I need to put in.

Or maybe I'm just wrong. How do I get started with this??? I'm on AMC 9 right now but the receiver won't change channels. I tried to use the scanning function and it doesn't pull up any channels. Anyone??

Depending on the type of LNB you are using you need to set the L.O. on the LNB settings.......I guess you are using a C-band dish by the sound of it, but heres the setting for the different types of LNB out there, and a link to the C band bible, take your time and you will get it all worked out the guys here will help when they are around!

C-Band 05150
Universal 09750
Ku 10750
DBS/DSS 11250

http://www.geo-orbit.org/

Reading through and I input the LO listed above. Still not getting anything. Ah I guess I'll mess with it in the morning. :) There wouldn't happen to be a chatroom or anything for this place, would there? Maybe I'll go out there with my laptop and chat a little while I'm trying to get this working.

Hi! I am new to this too but I just hooked up my system and am watching great premium channels. You just point your dish to the satallite you want and you receive all the channels. Hope that helps.

Premium Channels? I certainly hope you are not stealing satellite service, its against the law and it will not be tolerated here, please refrain from posting this kind of drivel here PLEASE!

janeway said:
Hi! I am new to this too but I just hooked up my system and am watching great premium channels. You just point your dish to the satallite you want and you receive all the channels. Hope that helps.

We do not condone hack talk or the theft of servcie here..

Didnt read the rules, huh?

Over the past few weeks we have been noticing a growing amount of Hacking Related posts. Our crack staff has been quick in quickly removing those posts.

SatelliteGuys is NOT a hacking site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts