Newbie DirecTV question - Sat1 vs Sat2 on TiVo - reception %

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GeoFan49

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
I've had DirecTV with TiVo for about a year. My signal on Sat1 and Sat2 varies from hour to hour and week to week... Sat1 %-ages usually in the 90s -- and Sat2 from 80s down to 30% or less... is this normal?

TiVo ... Messages and Setup ... System Test ... Sat In Signal

Right now: 1: 56% ::: 2: 95% (clear weather, high-thin clouds today)

One hour ago: 1: 57% ::: 2: 96%

Last week: 1: 93% ::: 2: 34% (during a very wet, rainy day)

Last month: 1: 97% ::: 2: 93%

What could be causing the differences, and poor Sat 2 signals when Sat1 is good, and vice-versa.

When signal goes below 50% I have noticed that the TiVo picture gets pixellated... often happens on a rainy day.

The dish is quite a few years old, but LNB upgraded by installer when TiVo was installed a year ago.

Is there an easy way for a user to align the dish? Is this necessary?

GeoFan49 said:
I've had DirecTV with TiVo for about a year. My signal on Sat1 and Sat2 varies from hour to hour and week to week... Sat1 %-ages usually in the 90s -- and Sat2 from 80s down to 30% or less... is this normal?
What could be causing the differences, and poor Sat 2 signals when Sat1 is good, and vice-versa.
When signal goes below 50% I have noticed that the TiVo picture gets pixellated... often happens on a rainy day.
The dish is quite a few years old, but LNB upgraded by installer when TiVo was installed a year ago.

do us a favor and switch the sat cables in tuner 1 and 2 and see if the problem follows.

GeoFan49 said:
I'll have to try that tonite. The problem does vary day-to-day, sometimes Sat1 is best, sometimes Sat2 is best, and sometimes they are about the same... Won't switching Sat1 and Sat2 mess up the TiVo?

no... as long as you dont leave 1 unhooked.... the problem with the variance sounds like its either a bad cable (or 2) or that the dish is wobbling in the wind.

Just went through the same thing today except mine is consistently losing Sat 3 (110) after storm last night. I'm getting 40% and rep said it should be at least 70%. Either dish is misaligned or LNB is failing - someone is coming out tomorrow since they just installed it in Sept.

Steps they had me follow to test was to reset receiver (push reset button by access card slot or unplug for 15 seconds if there isn't a reset button). Test another receiver if you have one as well. Walk thru setup procedures again to be sure nothing was lost (still has 3 LNB checked vs 2 or vice versa). That should resolve it or else your dish is swaying in the wind like he said or else the gremlins are up there shaking it.

GeoFan49 said:
I'll have to try that tonite. The problem does vary day-to-day, sometimes Sat1 is best, sometimes Sat2 is best, and sometimes they are about the same... Won't switching Sat1 and Sat2 mess up the TiVo?

Do you have dual tuners hooked up or just one line coming in and its the 2 Sat signals that are dropping alternatively?

I have just one dish and one TiVo. Signals vary randomly... Sat1 usually in the 75-95% range and Sat2 usually in the 65-95% range ... but Sat1 can vary from 98% to 55% and Sat2 varies from 97% to 34%.

Right now: Sat1 = 77% and Sat2 = 95%

The dish is well anchored and can't move. The DirecTV TiVo and new dual LNB was installed about 9 months ago... The TiVo picture gets pixellated randomly, maybe a few hours a week... when signals are below 50%... usually on Sat2 but sometimes on Sat1...

What's normal for other TiVo DirecTV users ???

Strange results?

Here's today's odd, unexpected results of switching the two cables at the back of the TiVo... What does it mean?
Code:
TIME || Sat 1 % || Sat 2 % || notes
-----   -------    -------    ---------- 

8 am    62         97         baseline
=== Switched the cables ===
8:05    62         97
=== Restart the TiVo ===
8:30    62         62
=== Restart the TiVo ===
8:45    63         62
=== Switched the cables ===
9:00    62         57
=== Restart the TiVo ===
9:15    55         58
9:17    54         57
=== Switched the cables, Restart the TiVo ===
9:30    97         56
=== Restart the TiVo ===
9:40    97         97
=== Restart the TiVo ===
9:45    97         97

Do you have a multiswitch between your TiVo and the dish?

I had some very funky things going on until I replaced the multiswitch.

The only other cuase is the multiswitch that is built into a phase III. This would require replacing the LNB'S since it is all the same unit.

colofan said:
The only other cuase is the multiswitch that is built into a phase III. This would require replacing the LNB'S since it is all the same unit.

The new LNB was installed nine months ago when the TiVo was delivered by DirecTV

Last nite:

Sat1 96% Sat2 77%

This morning:

Sat1 76% Sat2 97%

Is this normal?

No changes in the cables or connections... just ran the TiVo tests.

It's tough to say for sure until after its replaced but it sounds like a failing LNB.

GeoFan49 said:

Anything above a 70% signal strength is, generally, operable range.

Since both coax (Sat-In) cables are running to the same dish, I would venture to assume that it is, as stated earlier, most likely faulty wiring. However, as long as you're not experiencing any kind of freeze frame or pixelation, or getting a "Searching For Satellite Signal/771" message on the screen, you should be fine - and, DTV CSR's won't troubleshoot a problem if it doesn't exist, for that matter.

Oh, and by the way, we ***hate*** troubleshooting for Searching For Satellite Signal; so if you ever get that problem, give the CSR hell (except me, of course) - 100144618 is my badge number, so ask first. :p

As for aligning your dish, it can be done. It's relatively simple, if not tedious.

I've helped a lot of friends with this stuff and it almost always seemed to be the wiring when I did it, even though all the evidence pointed to something else. I had the exact same problem on one of my receivers. Twice I've been told to order a new dish because all of the troubleshooting pointed to this. I was amazed at how easily a short can occur in the line. Buying a line tester helped a LOT.

Tuesday nite: Sat1 96% ::: Sat2 77%

Wednesday AM : Sat1 76% ::: Sat2 97%

Thursday AM: Sat1 57% ::: Sat2 69%

Cables were also replaced about a year ago with the TiVo upgrade and new LNB ... installed by D*.

I'll try replacing the cables in a week or two and see what happens then. I was considering putting in coax splitters for a 2nd DirecTiVo, but not until this problem is resolved...

Splitters

GeoFan49 said:
Tuesday nite: Sat1 96% ::: Sat2 77%
Wednesday AM : Sat1 76% ::: Sat2 97%
Thursday AM: Sat1 57% ::: Sat2 69%
Cables were also replaced about a year ago with the TiVo upgrade and new LNB ... installed by D*.
I'll try replacing the cables in a week or two and see what happens then. I was considering putting in coax splitters for a 2nd DirecTiVo, but not until this problem is resolved...

Ack! Don't use a splitter for DVRs - you'll end up getting a "Searching For Satellite Signal on Sat in 1 and 2" message; splitters don't work with a DVR. They cause problems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)