NEWBIE...Do I need computer for FTA ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daveorkatherine

Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
Hi, I'm tired of Dish Network programing and prices. FTA seems real interesting. I know nothing but am thinking of the Coolsat 5000 (mototized). Do I need a computer to make it work well ? Will it work with my MAC, if so ? Thanks in advance for any info.

You do not need a PC for FTA (please see the MPEG / FTA area). ALSO, it is very important that you know that you can't legally receive Dish or DirecTV with FTA, just so you know what you getting into.

Thanks and yes I understand I will not get the programing I am currently (getting ripped of for) paying for. It was just unclear to me about the computer. I will be running completly from solar and wind power out in the sticks. Does anyone know also about getting internet thru cell phone or satellite ?

Yes, Dway or starband are what I've been looking at...costly, but seems the only way to be out in the outback and still do business and have conection with the world. Are there any comments as to the Coolsat 5000 for a newbie ?

Don't have one on the coolsat but for internet please get Dway. I put Dway in everyday and have great success with it. The only problem I have is when people go from cable to it cause they move out in the country and think it should be as fast as cable but I have worked with both systems and the Dway just overpowers starband. I would tell you to get wildblue before starband which is also a great service. http://www.wildblue.com/

If you do go with Dway don't get the Pro pack cause it will give you only around 150k more "advertised 300 more but I have not seen it" for 10.00 per month which you will not notice or if you don't mind spending the money get the .98 dish which is 999.99 instead of 599.99 but you get around 1.3 meg out of it which still is not great but will be twice as fast as the Home.

Well, things happen fast....I just bought the Coolsat 5000. Looks like I will soon be into the FTA world. The review from Ice was a big factor in my choice.
As far as the satellite internet goes, I am leaning towards the Dway. I can get a DW6000 complete on the mobile tripod for my semi transient RV lifestyle for a very good price @ $300 NIB. I know the 7000 unit is out there but I don't think I'll need it.
.....About the cable I'll need to install the Coolsat 5000, is that the RG6 and can I get the tool to make my own ends, like Home Depot ? Is all that grade cable the same ?

Needs to be RG6 cable!

And you should be able to pick up all the tools at a good hardware store or mail order, best to get the snap and seal compression tools.

Moving this to the FTA area sounds like an amazing project Dave!

HEY TATE, HELP HELP HELP !!!!! I sent you a couple emails about the sat internet...Dway. Since you work with it, you'll know. One's a .74m w/ DW6000 on tripod and the other a .98m w/ DW7000. Thanks from the know nothing.....ME.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)