Newbie Help - Hardware setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bubbablow

Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
OK here is what I have and what I want to do. I am new to this game and unsure of what can be done and not done.

Pansat 2500A - not sure of FW status, got it from a very frustrated friend. Plan on flashing to factory standards and clearing all channels out.

An old DTV 18" dish with LNB

An old 10' C-Band/KU band system. This was in use up to about a year ago when my IRD blew up.

A disqV ?? 4/1 switch.

I live out in the boonies and don't watch much TV, but would like to get more than the snowy 6 channels I get now. I am a member of NetFix so movies really don't matter :)

Here is what I would like to do. Hook up the C-Band and KU band BUD and a 18" dish. From reading the posts, it looks like I can get some nice radio stations off of one of the DBS SAT using the 18" dish.

The 18" seems fairly easy to hook up and go. The BUD I'm not sure about. The Pansat looks like it has the hook ups needed to use the mover on the dish. Can this unit really drive my dish? If so is it smart enough to know that SAT1 on the switch is a fixed 18" dish. SAT2 on the switch is a movable KU dish, and SAT3 on the switch is a movable C-Band?

Any comments, links to FAQs, etc would be great.

Thanks
BB

The 4x1 switch will do that
When you set up your install screen, there's a pot that says "DiSEqC" with 1,2,3,4 and off.

The 18 could be #1
The C part could be #2
The KU could be #3

Then when you select a channel, it knows where to go :)

I honestly don't know if the 2500 will run a C-band dish..my 1500 won't. :(

There is a ton of stuff free on C-Band...as an example, at 137 (G7), there are 6 TV stations from Anchorage, AK (CBS, NBC, ABC, etc) and tons of sports stuff on both C & Ku band

You are one lucky man to have C-Band :):)

Thanks for the quick reply. I was looking over the back of the unit and see a place that looks like a block with 5v, 12v, Gnd and what looks like a pluse symbol.

I know my arm uses 12v, just not sure if the unit has enough power to move it. Also, how does the V/H and skew work on the BUD lnb? I had an extra set of wires going into my c-band system that would control the little skew motor. On the PanSat 2500 how does that work?

This is getting interesting :)

Thanks
BB

Please post how this works out for you. I'm waiting on my Pansat 2500a to arrive. I'm planning on hooking it up to my 10' C/ku BUD next Monday.

I'm new to this side of it as well, but have been watching satellite feeds since 1981. My first dish was 10 meters. (Ok, the TV station I worked for owned it, but I got to snoop around at all the stuff that was up there, and back then it was pretty much all free!)

I'll be interested in seeing how this goes for you.

I'll let you know. I'm just worried about the juice for the arm and not sure about how the whole H/V deal will work.

If you're C-band has separate H & V, you would need a 3x4 multiswitch. They use these for DirectTv & the older Dish setups. You plug both lines in and you can hook up to 4 receivers off of it.

Or replace the C-Band LNB.....nah, cheaper for the switch...they're less than $20

Since the 2500 has the spots on the back to hook up a C-Band (maybe) I dont see why it wouldn't work

I think the item I posted above would be for someone who had a receiver that doesnt have that on the back (like the 1500) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)