Newbie-- How did I do?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arkplayer

Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Got fed up with Cox cable and just ordered Directv. They are scheduled to install Wed., Feb 28.

Got the Ultimate package with Whole Home DVR, 1 HD receiver and 3 standard receivers, for a total of 5 TV's. I was quoted $73.99 plus tax for the first year after rebate, going to $104.99 the 2nd year on 2 year contract. Free movie channels for 3 months.

No equipment or installation costs. Will also receive a $10 a month for 10 months discount for using a friend as a referral.

The young fellow on the phone who walked me through this either didn't understand my question or intentionally led me to believe that would include the Sports Pack, so I could watch my Cardinals this spring in HD. I asked him twice about it and he said it included the Sports pack so I could see my Cardinals. I am in zip code 72956 and Fox Sports Southwest is my home territory, which are the Rangers and Astros. I have since discovered that for me to watch the Cardinals will cost me another $12.99 a month. Not happy about it, but have to have my Cardinals in HD so I can live with it. May skip Sports Pack and get MLB Extra Innings, but then can't always have my home announcers.

The fellow also told me that my 3 standard receivers could access the DVR (not in HD) and watch recorded shows also. I have since have been researching and am not sure that is true. Can someone here please advise if my 3 standard receivers can access the Whole Home DVR?

Well, how did I do? Any advice, suggestions or comments is appreciated. I am still in a good position to renegotiate or change my order. Thanks.

welcome :wave

checking D*'s RSN lookup you get FSN SW in your zip. If you add the sports pack you get the Cards and Royals
With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

FS Southwest HD (Ch. 676) - HD Available
# Astros (HD Available)
# Dallas Mavericks (HD Available)
# Dallas Stars (HD Available)
# Oklahoma City Thunder (HD Available)
# Rangers (HD Available)

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
FS Midwest HD (Ch. 671) - HD Available
# Cardinals (HD Available)
# Royals (HD Available)

If you get MLB EI you will be blacked out of the Cards and Royals games since they "claim" your area. The best thing to do is to get the sports pack.

I dont think the SD receivers can access the DVR programming

The SD can't access the Whole Home DVR. Whole Home works by the HD boxes getting an ip address and the DVR broacast itself. the SD doesn't require a ip address and it hasn't been programmed to use the DVR.

If you have HD TV's then the SD boxes are going to bug you.

I have the Whole Home DVR, HD DVR and 4 SD boxes...let's just say the SD boxes have been returned.

Well, how did I do? Any advice, suggestions or comments is appreciated. I am still in a good position to renegotiate or change my order. Thanks.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Arkplayer, you did good.

Advice: Don't forget to complete your online rebate, also get into the habit of checking your bill online for deals and free offers/apps such as DTV to PC.

I've test the mobile app for the BlackBerry and the Droid. I like the appearance of the Droid app.

Iceberg: Thank you for the information on the MLB EI. I will get the Sports Pack and probably MLB.TV Premium through my grandsons PS3. Had that last year and the quality was great, but canceled as they blacked out the Cards, Rangers, Astros and Rangers.

Rattler94: Thank you for the info on the SD receivers, I was afraid that was the answer. A couple of questions about upgrading to Hd receivers. I know it will cost me $297 up front to upgrade, but the TV's I will be hooking them up to are SD Tv's, so will the HD receivers have the proper connections that I will need? Is there another way to get HD receivers, such as through ebay or Craiglist or is Directv the only game in town?

Also, what is the DTV to PC? My grandson has a ipad touch, does that mean he can access my directv through that? If so, I have a lot more research to do....

Thanks again guys for the help.

You did horrible, because once you get it all set up, you will be kicking yourself for paying all the money to cable over the years. LOL

Seriously, you came a great time as the MRV is the cats pajamas.

Also make sure you get a cinema kit (aka broad band deca) where they wire the system in to your broadband router allowing you to do video on demand, and dvr2go.

A couple of questions about upgrading to Hd receivers. I know it will cost me $297 up front to upgrade, but the TV's I will be hooking them up to are SD Tv's, so will the HD receivers have the proper connections that I will need? Is there another way to get HD receivers, such as through ebay or Craiglist or is Directv the only game in town?
Yes you can hook a HD receiver to a SDTV...I have one TV set up that way. There are A/v plugs on the back to hook it up to. No coax though

Honestly since you are not installed yet, I'd call D* and make the order EXACTLY how you want it receiver wise. Because once you're installed, upgrading can cost you big time in the long run. It did for me. Got just SD only when I started and 5 months later I paid $125 to upgrade to HD> If I would have got HD when I started, I would have got the receivers for free

Agreed, get all the equipment you want before the install.

Look at it like buying a car.
Get what you want (or what you can't live without) before you sign on the dotted line.

No coax though

Unless you get an RF modulator which in some cases the installer will provide but is not obligated to.

You might get HD receivers anyway for the SD ones ordered. Can anyone on here confirm that for his zip-code? I heard that many people have had this happen. I was told by my installer that if I had ordered an SD receiver that they would have given me an HD one.

Gettting your order correct in the first place is important, especially since I'm still trying (waiting) for mine to get right and I placed the order on 1/22 and have had service for one week. I'm still waiting on the base package price to be correct and the rebates to post after my first bill (but it's either due to someone putting in some changes wrong to my initial order, or it being deleted and a new one poorly done).

Can anyone on here confirm that for his zip-code?
I checked. His market has both SD only locals and HD too. So his SD receivers will get the SD versions of the locals

edit: interesting...the D* site shows "SD" locals under one column and HD under another. If his market was MPEG4 only SD would be blank. HOWEVER, checking my chart his locals ARE MPEG4 only. He's one of the old 72W markets (Ft SMith, AR) so he **should** get HD receivers in place of the SD ones.

here is what I show. His zip is the FT Smith, AR locals. Per the chart I have here is his locals and where they are

KFSM 5 16 D11 @99W
KFSM 5 8 D1R @73W
KAFT 13 15 D11 @99W
KAFT 13 8 D1R @73W
CW 14 21 D8 @101W
KFTA 24 16 D11 @99W
KFTA 24 8 D1R @73W
*KHOG 29 26 D1R @73W
KPBI 34 19 D11 @99W
KPBI 34 8 D1R @73W
KHBS 40 16 D11 @99W
KHBS 40 8 D1R @73W
CW 41 16 D11 @99W
KNWA 51 16 D11 @99W
KNWA 51 8 D1R @73W

now I know they're not installing any 72.5 dishes anymore so his locals are on 99W which would be a MPEG4 market

Iceberg said:
welcome :wave

checking D*'s RSN lookup you get FSN SW in your zip. If you add the sports pack you get the Cards and Royals
With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above, or MÁS ULTRA or above):

FS Southwest HD (Ch. 676) - HD Available
# Astros (HD Available)
# Dallas Mavericks (HD Available)
# Dallas Stars (HD Available)
# Oklahoma City Thunder (HD Available)
# Rangers (HD Available)

With the PREMIER or LO MAXIMO package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
FS Midwest HD (Ch. 671) - HD Available
# Cardinals (HD Available)
# Royals (HD Available)

If you get MLB EI you will be blacked out of the Cards and Royals games since they "claim" your area. The best thing to do is to get the sports pack.

I subbed to Choice Ultimate and was also told I would get FSMW for the Cardinals games only to discover that I didn't. I had to add the sports pack but ended up subbing to Premier.

now I know they're not installing any 72.5 dishes anymore so his locals are on 99W which would be a MPEG4 market

Thanks Iceberg, you and bebop probably just saved me $300, as I intended to call them back and order 3 HD receivers to replace the SD ones. I think now I will play it out and see what the installer brings. If he brings SD receivers I will ask him if they can access the Whole Home DVR, which is what I was told, and when he tells me no, I will call Directv and order the HD ones. If he brings the HD ones, then good for me...

jwgreen68: Thanks for the info on you also being told you would get FSMW with the ultimate package. Makes one wonder about the pressure they are under to make the sale.

One final question. kjlued mentioned earlier in this thread to get the cinema pack (which I did as I am keeping my high speed cable internet) and I would have access to dvr2go. I have searched the directv website and can find no mention of dvr2go. Can someone explain to me what that is?

Thanks to all here who have responded. I am looking forward to getting this installed and play around with all the extras.

Arkplayer

Thanks Iceberg, you and bebop probably just saved me $300, as I intended to call them back and order 3 HD receivers to replace the SD ones. I think now I will play it out and see what the installer brings. If he brings SD receivers I will ask him if they can access the Whole Home DVR, which is what I was told, and when he tells me no, I will call Directv and order the HD ones. If he brings the HD ones, then good for me...
yeah I would hold off until the installer arrives. From everything I've seen you **should** get HD receivers in place of those SD ones since your locals are only on a HD satellite. You can set the resolution to 480i and even hide the HD channels so the channels on those SDTV's show as 4:3 "normal" and not the black bars on top and bottom

let us know how it turns out

Got the Ultimate package with Whole Home DVR, 1 HD receiver and 3 standard receivers, for a total of 5 TV's. I was quoted $73.99 plus tax for the first year after rebate, going to $104.99 the 2nd year on 2 year contract. Free movie channels for 3 months.

No equipment or installation costs. Will also receive a $10 a month for 10 months discount for using a friend as a referral.

Well, how did I do? Any advice, suggestions or comments is appreciated. I am still in a good position to renegotiate or change my order. Thanks.

I switched 1/24. I got the choice ultimate package with 1 HR24 dvr, 1 HR receiver and 1 SD receiver and 3 months of the premium movie channels. There were no upfront costs and my billing for one year is $53.99/month, plus tax ($.98). The second year should be $82.99 plus tax and any increase that took place in February (($3.00/month?). Offsetting my costs are a $180 Costco gift card (already received) and $100 referral to be applied monthly on my bill.

Got it installed

Got my Sat installed. I received a free upgrade to all HD-24 receivers. It was exactly as Iceberg said; because I live in an area where SD locals are on the 72.5 sat, my only option was to get HD receivers for the HD locals as they don't install 2 dishes anymore.

The installation guys were very professional and did an excellent job. Had to basically rewire my whole house as I had old RG59 and they installed RG6. Besides my 4 HD-24 receivers got a HDR24-500 DVR. Very happy with how things turned out. Have a lot to learn and will be playing with this for quite some time.

Thanks to all who replied for your input.

very cool. Glad to hear they got ya all set up properly. Wish my market gave me HD receivers across the board (doubt I'd ever see that being in Minneapolis)

Enjoy Directv :) Dont hesitate to ask any questions.

Couple things of note on the DVR
-if you want that "donk" noise thing to be turned off go into menu-settings-setup-audio-sound effects and then turn it off
-do a search for "30skip". This will do a skip 30 seconds when you want to zap commercials. Otherwise its like a 30 second fast forward. Here is a post I made with pics on how to set it up
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/235339-today-directv-install-day.html#post2393384

Arkplayer said:
Got my Sat installed. I received a free upgrade to all HD-24 receivers. It was exactly as Iceberg said; because I live in an area where SD locals are on the 72.5 sat, my only option was to get HD receivers for the HD locals as they don't install 2 dishes anymore.

The installation guys were very professional and did an excellent job. Had to basically rewire my whole house as I had old RG59 and they installed RG6. Besides my 4 HD-24 receivers got a HDR24-500 DVR. Very happy with how things turned out. Have a lot to learn and will be playing with this for quite some time.

Thanks to all who replied for your input.

Good deal. Now lets hope the Cardinals season goes as smoothly! But with the loss of Waino, I'm not feeling too optimistic right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.